Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Enjoyed The Darkest Hour as much as I knew I would.
Gary Oldman really amazing.
Favourite bit was when he was on the tube.
8/10

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
With All The Money In The World being advertised hourly this week on LBC, Talksport et al, albeit with only one BAFTA nomination for Christopher Plummer, I assumed it was going to be quite something.

But I see that it wasn't showing at the Marina last week nor this, and with only one showing a day at the Odeon, 8.20 tonight was my "last chance to see"

Now I like a long film and at 2 hours 12 mins this works for me. Anything less than two hours is a TV programme in my book
And this was showing in my favourite intimate Screen 8
So all good you'd think?

So what a disappointment this turned out to be.
Michelle Williams was the stand out acting performance - not Plummer senior (nor junior)
But the story - based on true events - was all over the place.
And the supporting cast were lightweight.

Glad I went. But ended up underwhelmed and disappointed and can't go more than 5/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Post

This is a slow burner. Very wordy especially the first hour but when it cranked up it was classic Spielberg. Tense, taut and powerful. Streep and Hanks were of course excellent as they always are. First time Spielberg has directed Streep in a near 50 year directing career. There are the classic Spielberg touches, immaculate attention to detail and period, reverence to old style, old school film making techniques, washed colour, the zoom shots, first seen in Jaws to great effect. He is a master storyteller and carries the story and tells it well

It is a warning tale relevant in the Trump times and free speech, especially from the free press. I am sure it is Spielberg's personal rebuke to Trump

The first hour is slow, be warned but that patience is well paid off in the last hour

Not a masterpiece, not even in my top 20 films of his for me but it is still far better than most directors release

It gets an 86 out of 100 for me. A great start with Darkest Hour 88 out of 100, Oldman's performance pushed that up and the Post at 86 out of 100

Recommended

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars yesterday; what a superb film/documentary. Heartily recommended, even if you aren't such a fan of the music. A fascinating portrait of the man, focusing on how many things didn't go right in his life (early life, the drugs, the alcohol, relationships, the death of his son) which somehow he has come through, and at this stage of his life, is happy. Limited release unfortunately.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Yeah, I saw it in London at the Curzon Bloomsbury. Was up there anyway for something in the evening, so popped in for the late lunchtime showing.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just back from seeing Darkest Hour. Loved it. Thought Oldman was immense, as were the prosthetics. A number of close-ups yet as Eric and Ernie used to say, you couldn't see the join! Understand now why Oldman is being suggested for Best Actor. Thought the film was well paced, and well written.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I’ve seen Molly’s Game and Coco this week. The latter is a lovely animated film that I imagine will grow in popularity as word gets around, even if the ending is incredibly predictable. 8/10 easily.

Molly’s Game was a strange film. Almost entirely narrated, the film was not a cinematic piece to behold by any stretch of the imagination, partly because the director seemed so desperate to use his words to paint every single part of the story, often at the expense of imagery. Idris Elba was the real heart of the film and ultimately where it was most successful. Jessica C brought a certain amount of chops to her role (and glamour obviously) but her character was incredibly difficult to warm to. A 6/10 that could easily have been a 9-10/10 in the right hands.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Me and the Mrs have watched Molly's game and Darkest hour over the weekend.
Molly's game can be a little disorientating at times due to the constant 100mph yapping of the narrator, but we still enjoyed the film. Characters felt a little underdeveloped at times and Molly herself wasn't all that likable. Still a pretty solid 6.5/10
Darkest hour was excellent. Oldman has always been one of my favourite actors and this performance will almost certainly get him an Oscar. Amazing from start to finish. 9/10.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
A rare outing for me on the films threads, but big thumbs up for Three Billboards. Dark funny and brutal, yet never graphic and some choice swearing.

Saw Three Billboards yesterday, loved it, great dialogue. Heading back to the train station my ticket wouldn't work at the barrier, I almost belted out 'Open the damn motherfvckin' gates"

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Saw The Post, another film with no action (apart from the opening Vietnam sequence) an d a dialogue based film. However I found the storytelling riveting with the tension building slowly as the film progressed. As usual very good performances from Streep and Hanks, with Streep particularly good as the nervous and unsure head of The Post.

A film set in the past which clearly has meaning today on the freedom of the press.

I would place this film just below The Darkest Hour, but only by a slither. Recommended

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saw The Post, another film with no action (apart from the opening Vietnam sequence) an d a dialogue based film. However I found the storytelling riveting with the tension building slowly as the film progressed. As usual very good performances from Streep and Hanks, with Streep particularly good as the nervous and unsure head of The Post.

A film set in the past which clearly has meaning today on the freedom of the press.

I would place this film just below The Darkest Hour, but only by a slither. Recommended

I totally agree with you

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On BBC iplayer, I just watched the film Mister John (2013).

It was a compelling watch, an original story line, atmospheric and with good acting. Glad I came across the film.

Afterwards I looked at iMBd and it's not liked by the public ... just goes to show, not to rely too much on such sites.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Went to see The Darkest Hour last evening, and I can’t say I was wonderfully impressed. The disguise is good and Oldman’s Churchill feels passable, but it didn’t greatly enthral in its way of telling, design, or writing. The music at times didn’t smoothly fit either. The underground scene, along with a few others, was just corn. Not a classic for me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Enjoyed The Darkest Hour as much as I knew I would.
Gary Oldman really amazing.
Favourite bit was when he was on the tube.
8/10

All about opinions, I really enjoyed the film but thought the Tube bit was dreadful!

Loved 3 billboards

The Post got better as it went on, slow to start but quite brilliant towards the end.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Went to see The Darkest Hour last evening, and I can’t say I was wonderfully impressed. The disguise is good and Oldman’s Churchill feels passable, but it didn’t greatly enthral in its way of telling, design, or writing. The music at times didn’t smoothly fit either. The underground scene, along with a few others, was just corn. Not a classic for me.

Largely agree.

Oldmans performance was far better than passable IMO, and that serves to elevate the film above the sum of its parts. But a great film it is not. The underground scene was highly contrived, and a bit silly.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

" passable " :facepalm:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:)
I was a bit tired and grumpy last night.
Saying that, an epic performance can make a film interesting throughout, and I didn’t feel that, so that one-man show wasn’t a stunner.

No offense but I know when your name comes up you will HATE anything and everything mainstream. To call Oldman's performance " passable " is ridiculous and negates any valid points you may make imo

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Downsizing yesterday, the new film with Matt Damon. Decent enough, although not what I was expecting from the trailer. Quirky and fun first third, then turns pretty thoughtful/serious, focused more on environmental aspects and relationships.

Suspect The Post will be next for me. Not desperately keen to see it, not least I don't know much about the background to the story itself. Sounds though like it does cover the basics at the start?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here