Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 222930313233343542 ... LastLast

Thread: Film 2018

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by manintheblackpajamas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Just out here briefly with the film I'm afraid.

Hopefully something local, yes. Depends if CineCity will have it or something, otherwise it's incredibly expensive to put a film on independently.
    The Toronto screening went down very well thanks and also the Q&A afterwards with Mr Gedge joining in.
    Would be good to show around Edge Of The Sea time.
    "Unemployments rising in the Chigley end of town.
    And it's spreading like pneumonia.
    Doesn't look like going down"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I, Tonya. Decent flick. Actually started feeling sorry for her in the end, without giving anything away. Anyone else seen it and feel the same?
      "I wasted £100 on a hotel room, another £100 on drink, whole weekend a complete waste of money, all in all the worst away day iv'e ever had ever. i can handle wasting good money, but seeing palace players getting laughed at by that lot, being laughed at as we leave the ground, that f***ing hurts, feel numb today, feel totaly numb with shock, going to take a long time to get over this one."

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by piersa View Post
      I, Tonya. Decent flick. Actually started feeling sorry for her in the end, without giving anything away. Anyone else seen it and feel the same?
      Watching it next month on a flight to NYC...Virgin Atlantic have already listed their films for next month, and some good ones there. So, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by manintheblackpajamas View Post
      In the very unlikely event that anyone finds themselves at a loose end in Toronto this weekend...
      My feature documentary "Something Left Behind" is screening at the Carlton Cinema on Saturday.

Attachment 95438
      Ha, wish I'd seen this post earlier!

I like Carlton Cinema too. It's got a nice retro feel to it.
      People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      Ready Player One

Didn't really know what to expect with this, but its a fun ride. Set in a dystopian 2045, everyone escapes the depressing reality of what the planet has become by existing in a VR world called Oasis, playing as their own avatar, in an enormous game, seeking three keys that will bring them untold riches by finishing the game and owning the whole VR world. Kind of echos of The Matrix in the way everyone flips between the real world and the VR one. Loads of 80's pop culture references and tunes (as the designer of the Oasis was an 80's kid). The end dragged on a bit, it goes on for north of 2 hours so could probably have trimmed half an hour off without really losing anything. But overall its an enjoyable and original flick, with a truly EXCELLENT sequence involving The Shining.

74%.

[edit]

was surprised to see Finchy from The Office turn up too, in a small role. He gets around dunnie.
      I'm about 60% of the way through the book. I'm really enjoying it but my one criticism is that it's too long and the 80s references are a bit overkill after a while. Interesting to hear your comments about the film being too long too. I look forward to seeing how it compares to the book, I feel like it's perfect for a film.
      People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by piersa View Post
      Yep, me too. Enjoyed it and surprising, or probably not, really how things were and probably still are.

Edit. I hope that makes sense.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
      Ha, wish I'd seen this post earlier!

I like Carlton Cinema too. It's got a nice retro feel to it.
      They were perfect for my needs. 100 odd capacity. In fact I'm off there shortly to collect my giant lobby poster and kill some time before an overnight flight home.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
      I'm about 60% of the way through the book. I'm really enjoying it but my one criticism is that it's too long and the 80s references are a bit overkill after a while. Interesting to hear your comments about the film being too long too. I look forward to seeing how it compares to the book, I feel like it's perfect for a film.
      I'm an 80s geek so I love all that shit, but I think the film as a whole could certainly have done with some editing, particularly the final act. But if you're enjoying the book then I don't think you'll be too disappointed with the film, its an interesting concept and something a bit different.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

0 Not allowed!
      Ready Player One - Went to see this in 3D IMAX with Mrs Oscar and Oscar Jr last night. I was slightly apprehensive given both my son and I really enjoyed the book. But, determined to give the experience a chance as a standalone film, I have to say we all thoroughly enjoyed it.

With so many blockbuster movies bogged down with multi-movie story arcs, huge casts and ever-expanding universes, it was a pleasure to be taken on a fun and spectacular ride by a director who clearly has lost none of his enthusiasm and talent for turning out the perfect popcorn movie.

For film stuffed full of retro references and nostalgia, RP1 feels surprisingly fresh and forward thinking. Two set pieces (which I won't spoil) are particularly brilliant and especially immersive in 3D.

Spielberg has said how he deliberately didn't reference his own movies in the film, despite the fact E.T, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters etc are the Seventies/Eighties for many of us, and I was initially disappointed by that. But watch the film and while Indy and E.T aren't to be seen, you can't help but be reminded of those films and the wide-eyed wonder we felt when watching them as kids.

A special mention for Mark Rylance who is brilliant as the inventor of the OASIS virtual world. The young cast are good too - although oddly especially so in their virtual forms rather than one or two slightly clunky "real world" scenes.

Overall, a pleasure to watch this after Black Panther which despite its billion dollar returns, I found utterly dull and overrated.

8.5/10
      That's just, like, your opinion man.

0 Not allowed!
      Hey @Uncle Spielberg this popped up on my podcast feed so naturally I thought of you:-

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/30/...op-five-movies
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.