Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Sky Sports £15 a month...oh go on then

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I binned Sky Sports a few years ago as the pricing just got ridiculous, but I had a thing through the post the other day offering ALL the Sky Sports channels for £15 a month, with the price frozen for 3 years. I feel a bit dirty, but I've gone and taken them up on it. The Premier League streaming on Flawless got shut down on all the major ISP's and went very hit and miss, and I can't really be arsed with installing VPN's etc because I'm middle aged. I'm really not going to miss £15, so I'm back on board with it (and looking forward to seeing some NFL playoffs into the bargain).

One thing I was wondering. Do they still show ALL the Premier League games in their entirety on a Saturday night from about 8pm, when you press the red button ? I seem to remember you can select any PL game from that afternoon via the red button, and watch the 90 minutes. Or did I dream that ? If we can, then my temptation when we're playing away will be to avoid all media in the afternoon, avoid the result completely and watch our game "as live" in the evening. That'll be a brucie bonus if I can.

Anyway. Arsenal v Chelsea tonight, so that's my evening snorted...

#plastic

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I bought a NOW TV day pass for 6.99 just to watch the Bournemouth highlights (couldn't get to the game) and as it was still valid I watched Swansea v Spurs last night. I can't stand Murdoch but have to say I was impressed with the coverage. £15 a month is a steal, particularly as Match of the Day is so awful these days, especially their coverage of the 'smaller' teams (I understand we were the last match on last night despite it being the EPL game with the highest number of shots this season! Briefest of highlights too, missing some of our best chances. It really is poor.)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, MOTD was a particular IRRITANT last night, leaving our "derby" with the muff till flat-out last, especially as it was such a cracker. Often the narrative of the game dictates what is shown rather than the quality of the game itself, so with Hughes under big pressure at Stoke, even that minging 0-1 v Newcastle got priority over us minnows. Aggravating.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
How much is the basic Sky package on top of the £15?

We have Now TV and have paid the £6.99 for odd games, but got an offer for Sky Sports for £25 a month for four months.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
I binned Sky Sports a few years ago as the pricing just got ridiculous, but I had a thing through the post the other day offering ALL the Sky Sports channels for £15 a month, with the price frozen for 3 years. I feel a bit dirty, but I've gone and taken them up on it. The Premier League streaming on Flawless got shut down on all the major ISP's and went very hit and miss, and I can't really be arsed with installing VPN's etc because I'm middle aged. I'm really not going to miss £15, so I'm back on board with it (and looking forward to seeing some NFL playoffs into the bargain).

One thing I was wondering. Do they still show ALL the Premier League games in their entirety on a Saturday night from about 8pm, when you press the red button ? I seem to remember you can select any PL game from that afternoon via the red button, and watch the 90 minutes. Or did I dream that ? If we can, then my temptation when we're playing away will be to avoid all media in the afternoon, avoid the result completely and watch our game "as live" in the evening. That'll be a brucie bonus if I can.

#plastic

If memory serves me, Skys designated "Game of the Day" is shown at 8pm, when that has finished it's red button after that for the other games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How much is the basic Sky package on top of the £15?

We have Now TV and have paid the £6.99 for odd games, but got an offer for Sky Sports for £25 a month for four months.

I'm paying £30 a month for the basic Sky package. That's on some kind of offer as well I think, but I forget when that expires.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

#plastic

Still an extra £5 for HD, isn't it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If memory serves me, Skys designated "Game of the Day" is shown at 8pm, when that has finished it's red button after that for the other games.

Ooh.

I'm going to have a little fishy around then, next time we're away on a Satdee, see what I can find in the evening (WBA 13th by the looks).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

HD isn't mentioned in the offer, so presumably its SD. No biggee though, as long as I can make out the colours of the teams.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just wonder how long Sky can keep the lions share of the PL in the UK

Murdoch is getting out, even he is thinking whether its going to be too hard to compete with the tech giants

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sky are always open to a reduction to keep a customer.

As long as you say you love their products but cant afford it, they will always come crawling back.

I put down the phone, having registered my desire to leave and 3 days later I got:

Sky TV package in HD , internet, phone, all the sports in HD for £45 a month.

did the same with BT and I have all the sport channels in HD for £6 a month

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

i looked at adding HD ( but does not include HD Sports interestingly - i have standard definition sky sports) and it said it was a fiver for 18 months, but I only want to add eurosport back for the olympics coverage ...it is actually £11.80 per month if you are an existing subscriber BUT for £16 a month no contract you can have it for the two months of the olympics and then switch it off.

That will do me

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm paying £30 a month for the basic Sky package. That's on some kind of offer as well I think, but I forget when that expires.

Bloody hell they saw you coming. £16 per month for the basic one.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
i looked at adding HD ( but does not include HD Sports interestingly - i have standard definition sky sports) and it said it was a fiver for 18 months, but I only want to add eurosport back for the olympics coverage ...it is actually £11.80 per month if you are an existing subscriber BUT for £16 a month no contract you can have it for the two months of the olympics and then switch it off.

That will do me

That’s my new year’s resolution sorted now, thanks. I’m paying through the nose for sky tv, sport broadband, etc. Time to announce I’m ditching sport and see what they offer.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I binned SKY on the basis of their ever increasing costs so now with BT TV which I have only for their sport offering, I previously enjoyed SkySports 1, 2 and 5 as an add-on for around £21 monthly. After the Sky revamp (Main Event etc) BT increased the charge for (currently) only Main Event and I think Sky Sports Extra for around £30 monthly.
So now it is 'NOW' which offers Shy Sports Packages, 24 hours £6.99, 1Week £10.99 or monthly at £32.99 ?? . Monthly is surely a NO NO but you can pick times to watch on Day Pass and Week Pass that make it worthwhile WITHOUT having any form of contract, and yes I know that NOW Tv is effectively SKY.
But the NO CONTRACT makes it worth considering for what one wants at certain times !

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I binned SKY on the basis of their ever increasing costs so now with BT TV which I have only for their sport offering, I previously enjoyed SkySports 1, 2 and 5 as an add-on for around £21 monthly. After the Sky revamp (Main Event etc) BT increased the charge for (currently) only Main Event and I think Sky Sports Extra for around £30 monthly.
So now it is 'NOW' which offers Shy Sports Packages, 24 hours £6.99, 1Week £10.99 or monthly at £32.99 ?? . Monthly is surely a NO NO but you can pick times to watch on Day Pass and Week Pass that make it worthwhile WITHOUT having any form of contract, and yes I know that NOW Tv is effectively SKY.
But the NO CONTRACT makes it worth considering for what one wants at certain times !

Now TV has/or had an offer for £25 a month for 4 months so saving £7.99. We started 4 weeks ago, but the offer may still be on their website.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
For less than $100 for a year, you can get a VPN and a subscription to NBC Sports Gold which will allow you easily watch all Premier League games that are not shown on Sky Sports / BT Sport (NBC Sports Gold does not show these games). It's ridiculously easy. Just sign up for a VPN like IPVanish, download their software, connect to a US server, sign up for NBC Sports Gold, watch a 100% reliable stream.

All games which are shown on BT Sport / Sky Sports will have an AceStream HD stream available, for which a VPN is a necessity as it's P2P. Again, super easy.

Sky and BT Sports annoy me because of the great lengths they go to prevent you from casting live sports to your TV, despite paying for the subscription. Sky's streaming service is the worst - it's like they haven't entered the 21st century yet. They have an app as well where you can watch goals as they go in and highlights for all (I think) games, but it's buggy as hell and full of advertisements. They don't seem to have an online version of this on their website, presumably because they don't have the rights.

Honestly I don't mind paying a (reasonable) amount of money to be provided with a quality service that gives me everything I need and flexibility for how I want to watch content, but there's nothing out there. You have to sign up for loads of different content providers, and even then there's content like TV shows which are not available, so I have to resort to other means to watch them.

I think (legitimate) content provided over the internet is where the future is - where that will leave Sky I don't know.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here