Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] spice drops

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read a recipe but it used spice drop instead of herbs and spices I wonder if anybody has used them . If so where are they available locally and how do they compare to using standard spices,i.e 1 drop = 1 teaspoon or whatever.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You'll probably find spice drops are more concentrated than your usual dry herbs, so I'd use them sparingly.
My wife sometimes uses gravy Browning, just to add that extra ooomph, the slightest slip of the hand and you're eating dark brown sludge.

I cannot believe I'm talking to BG about culinary advice on a footy forum :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You'll probably find spice drops are more concentrated than your usual dry herbs, so I'd use them sparingly.
My wife sometimes uses gravy Browning, just to add that extra ooomph, the slightest slip of the hand and you're eating dark brown sludge.

I cannot believe I'm talking to BG about culinary advice on a footy forum :lolol:

That was my view as too much would change the taste of any recipe but I thought that during the day the wealth of knowledge on NSC will manifest itself I am only on here now because I got my days mixed up and woke up expecting the 5th Test Match to have started.:dunce:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I read a recipe but it used spice drop instead of herbs and spices I wonder if anybody has used them . If so where are they available locally and how do they compare to using standard spices,i.e 1 drop = 1 teaspoon or whatever.

Had to google that.

Appear to be a really concentrated food flavouring ?

Not surprised they come from India. I live near Tooting (not Clapham anymore) and used to frequent the spice shops down there. Unfortunately the massive spice place has closed down.

To the point - there were a number of really concentrated products down there. Makes sense if you have to ship them from abroad because the weight is obviously much lower.

They had this brand of vacuum packed curry sauce. Basically a real sauce (with no additives) created with real ingredients but dehydrated to the extent it was basically black like a large stock cube :lolol:

I tried one...

.. it was fantastic.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
They are manufactured by a company called holylama

googled it too, yeah they seem potent, Nigella Lawson seems a fan
Capture.PNG

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

I am quite intruiged by these

https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/...cg&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CJ-5lfjputgCFcixUQodE5kG-g

Let us know how you get on they look fairly cost effective and I like the idea of a liquid spice, not sure why, I think it could be more versatile in liquid form, say in a drink or pot noodle :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Should you not be asleep BG there is no cricket on unless I am mistaken?

Maybe he had already dropped some spice?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

That really made me laugh.:laugh:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
googled it too, yeah they seem potent, Nigella Lawson seems a fan
View attachment 92506

Thanks to BG for starting this thread and to Maffew for his research.
I have ordered a sample of 10 vials of those available for £6.00, including carriage, from Holy Lama. You can choose any 10 from those available !
Each vial contains 10 drops so a reasonable sample given the small amount required as per Maffew's post.
It just seems a way to enjoy much fresher flavours than the jars some of which are past it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here