Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] our 25 man squad

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
despite being in the 25 the following didn't contribute (or contributed very little) to the first half of our PL season:
Krul
Maenppa
Rosenior
Hunemeier
Sidwell
Skalak
Murphy
Baldock

clearly we need cover in goal and a 4th centre back but I'm wondering if the lack of quality in the squad is hampering progress. Was Sidwell expected to recover sooner, if not why was he in the 25?

not sure if I understand all the intricacies of the squad system but I doubt if those listed above will see much 1st team action in the 2nd half of the season, except as emergencies.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nobody could have expected Roseniors fall from grace. We need a 3rd keeper in case of injury to Ryan . The only unexplainable one if they were aware of the seriousness of his injury is Sidwell.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Nobody could have expected Roseniors fall from grace. We need a 3rd keeper in case of injury to Ryan . The only unexplainable one if they were aware of the seriousness of his injury is Sidwell.

Yes they could. Given we signed a new ‘first choice’ left back and the long term replacement for Bruno in the last transfer window.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In August LR was deemed to be a reliable dependable utility defender. Somewhat different from now 6 months on Hence his inclusuion in the 25. We may have a rethink during January.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
despite being in the 25 the following didn't contribute (or contributed very little) to the first half of our PL season:
Krul
Maenppa
Rosenior
Hunemeier
Sidwell
Skalak
Murphy
Baldock

clearly we need cover in goal and a 4th centre back but I'm wondering if the lack of quality in the squad is hampering progress. Was Sidwell expected to recover sooner, if not why was he in the 25?

not sure if I understand all the intricacies of the squad system but I doubt if those listed above will see much 1st team action in the 2nd half of the season, except as emergencies.

We don’t need another keeper or a 4th choice centre back, the ones we have got as cover will be more than adequate and have been left out because Ryan, Duffy and Dunk have been pretty much unstoppable. Both of our backup keepers are full internationals, not sure we will be able to attack better knowing they will be behind a goalkeeper going to the World Cup this summer.

The seriousness of Sidwells injury, and the need for surgery was only known once the window closed, he was expected back before now even with the surgery, hence him being named in the squad. As he’s a home grown player caution has to be taken with any potential dropping of him from the squad as we only have 9 HGPs in the squad and the minimum allowed is 8 so we are almost on the limit.

4 of the list above are HGPs in Krul, Sidwell, Rosenior and Baldock so would be expensive and almost impossible to replace them all. You could add a 5th to that list in Goldson who only played because Duffy was suspended, not that I’m suggesting we replace either BFG or Goldson.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The seriousness of Sidwells injury, and the need for surgery was only known once the window closed, he was expected back before now even with the surgery, hence him being named in the squad. As he’s a home grown player caution has to be taken with any potential dropping of him from the squad as we only have 9 HGPs in the squad and the minimum allowed is 8 so we are almost on the limit. 4 of the list above are HGPs in Krul, Sidwell, Rosenior and Baldock so would be expensive and almost impossible to replace them all. You could add a 5th to that list in Goldson who only played because Duffy was suspended, not that I’m suggesting we replace either BFG or Goldson.

thanks. I forgot about the HGP bit. We need a third keeper as back up (ie sub) should Ryan get injured

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
thanks. I forgot about the HGP bit. We need a third keeper as back up (ie sub) should Ryan get injured

We have 3rd choice in Nikki Maenpaa, a full international keeper. Why the need to replace him? And who could we get better knowing they would be unlikely to get a game (or in the match day squad most of the time).

If Ryan gets injured Krul starts and Maenpaa will be on the bench.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We have 3rd choice in Nikki Maenpaa, a full international keeper. Why the need to replace him? And who could we get better knowing they would be unlikely to get a game?

sorry, misunderstood your post. Maenpaa has done nothing wrong and Ryan, Krul and Maenpaa would be my 3. I meant we need to keep a 3rd keeper!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
sorry, misunderstood your post. Maenpaa has done nothing wrong and Ryan, Krul and Maenpaa would be my 3. I meant we need to keep a 3rd keeper!

Sorry I think I misunderstood your post too, you mean we need to retain a 3rd choice keeper and 4th choice centre back despite them not playing much. You aren’t calling for us to replace the current choices, it appears we are in agreement.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry I think I misunderstood your post too, you mean we need to retain a 3rd choice keeper and 4th choice centre back despite them not playing much. You aren’t calling for us to replace the current choices, it appears we are in agreement.

yep

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here