Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] First important debate of 2018 - roast potatoes...

Do you pre-bash your roasties?

• Peeled

Votes: 77 77.8%
  • Unpeeled - skins on

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Either / doesn't matter

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How do you do your roast potatoes? Specifically - notwithstanding the par-boiling, flavour and shake up - do you peel them, leave the skins on? Or do you have a varying method?

Important stuff to consider, I'd suggest.

Poll to follow, along with a rather graphic image of some roast potatoes.

potato-20150929075945244.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Par boil with skins on THEN peel.

They are easier to peel when cooked. It comes off with a blunt knife (*)

Allow to completely cool in sieve / colander.

Shake about a bit in pan to rough up edges.

Cook in whatever fat you like, but tray with fat fat must be heated in oven beforehand.

(*) Incidently the easiest way to peel ginger. Use something blunt like a spoon.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Surely no one in their right mind would admit doing a roast potato with the skin on. You might as well have a poll for people who use dog turds as soap.

Of course you can. Roasties with skins on are perfectly acceptable, and the skins crisp up just as much after par-boiling.

You must have a low tolerance threshold to decent food if you're using dog turds as soap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh goody, another poll :ffsparr:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mrs BG uses Naris Piper potatoes as an essential, par boils them and fluffs them up in a colander or the saucepan and lets them get cold. Sets the oven at 220 and puts cold oil over them then place in the oven. End result lovely crisp roasties to die for.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
PEEL King Edwards. Par boil 10 minutes at a decent lick. Allow to cool. Heat a tray of either half and half vegetable oil and olive oil or goose fat on its own. Rough up cold PEELED spuds in colander. Take out hot fat. Tip in spuds. Season with a little sea salt and baste. 20 minutes. Turn. 15 minutes. Turn on to any un-golden part. 5 more minutes. Check & serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PEEL King Edwards. Par boil 10 minutes at a decent lick. Allow to cool. Heat a tray of either half and half vegetable oil and olive oil or goose fat on its own. Rough up cold PEELED spuds in colander. Take out hot fat. Tip in spuds. Season with a little sea salt and baste. 20 minutes. Turn. 15 minutes. Turn on to any un-golden part. 5 more minutes. Check & serve.

exactly this but i add some bay leaves/rosemary (rinsed so it doesn't burn) towards end of cooking.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Of course you can. Roasties with skins on are perfectly acceptable, and the skins crisp up just as much after par-boiling.

You must have a low tolerance threshold to decent food if you're using dog turds as soap.

I'm more worried that you think soap and/or dog turds are food!

As it happens I'm making them for dinner tonight so I've put one in unpeeled, I'll report back later.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm more worried that you think soap and/or dog turds are food!

As it happens I'm making them for dinner tonight so I've put one in unpeeled, I'll report back later.

You've put a dog turd in the oven for dinner?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here