Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gros or net?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think he falls into the category of being worth more to us than anyone would be prepared to pay to take him off us.

Additionally, his lack of pace means the top clubs would never be interested.

If we sell him, we should insist on a "slow motion Cruyff turn" clause in the contract whereby we receive more money every time he does one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he falls into the category of being worth more to us than anyone would be prepared to pay to take him off us.

Additionally, his lack of pace means the top clubs would never be interested.

If we sell him, we should insist on a "slow motion Cruyff turn" clause in the contract whereby we receive more money every time he does one.
I'd be amazed if there's a bottom 12 team that can't be improved by the addition of PG, therefore I think you'd be surprised by how much another team would be prepared to pay for him.
There aren't to many players in the Premier League who are in a similar mould to Gross.

Genuine question:-

For a player who isn't 'fleet of foot' (to put it politely) how come he's every-freakin-where on the pitch?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They are a thing of beauty, I've not seen a defender read one yet. There is so little that gives away he's about to do it. It's so graceful and controlled. Something I'll be telling my youngsters to practice at training at the weekend. Doesn't have to be all showboaty and rapid if you do it properly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd be amazed if there's a bottom 12 team that can't be improved by the addition of PG, therefore I think you'd be surprised by how much another team would be prepared to pay for him.

That's my point though: we won't sell to another bottom 12 side unless they offer a ridiculous sum of money, and they won't.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There aren't to many players in the Premier League who are in a similar mould to Gross.

Genuine question:-

For a player who isn't 'fleet of foot' (to put it politely) how come he's every-freakin-where on the pitch?

The real question, is why before every game do so many NSCers leave him out of their starting XIs!?!? Izqueirdo rightly getting the plaudits yesterday, but both assists for his assists were from Pascal, plus the first chance Jose had to score was from PG too! He's absolutely everywhere getting in those spaces and holes. Top player, destined to be underrated by many unfortunately.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think a bottom 12 club would be more interested in Jonjo Shelvey as he is more in the limelight and would cost less than we paid for Propper or Izquierdo but possibly more than we paid for Gross.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
If we had to I'd hold out for £35/40million. He has proven he can cut it at this level and look at the prices folk are paying for players from abroad that haven’t. This will probably be the way it will have to be if the premier league stay is to be sustained. Southampton have been experts at this, buy cheap, sell high. Every news report was raving about his performance yesterday. He will start to get more hype come the end of the season.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I would think a bottom 12 club would be more interested in Jonjo Shelvey as he is more in the limelight and would cost less than we paid for Propper or Izquierdo but possibly more than we paid for Gross.

Shelvey isn't consistent in the EPL and he's a disciplinary bomb waiting to go off. If I had the choice between him and Gross I’d pick the German every time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Shelvey isn't consistent in the EPL and he's a disciplinary bomb waiting to go off. If I had the choice between him and Gross I’d pick the German every time.

We would because we have seen him play quite often but would others who have seen the best of Shelvey and believe they could curb his disiplinary problems.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He has to be allowed to drop some defensive work and he will be even better offensively. Clearly a key player for us so hopefully we would price him out of a move.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
"slow motion Cruyff turn"

Best description of his one trick I have heard. Amazes me how it works every time. Just creates enough space to get a cross in. Despite being the slowest attacking player in the league. Or is that Murray. Hmm, I'd like a race between those two arranged please.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Shirley they would have sent scouts to watch him?

Yes they would but not at every game so may miss some of the good points. I used to go and watch a player in 1 game then send in my report and the same was done by about 3 different scouts and then the chief scout took over based on the reports.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley they would have sent scouts to watch him?

The algorithm is clearly starting the year as it finished.

It takes a rare beast to compare the leagues 11th highest assister and 34th placed goal scorer with a player who only features in 1 assessment, that being 'red cards'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here