Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What it is...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
From my point of view, and forgetting the Hyppia debacle, we have been used to winning since we moved to the Amex. We are, as expected, winning less now, but after such a great 7 years we are now settling in to winning a little less which is giving us a few bottom burping moments. I thought we were great today, win excluded obviously. I don't get why we can't defend set pieces because we have always been so good at that. I also don't get when we are negative because we really have a flair to attack. I think we are possibly one very good player away from being a very good Prem side. I think our summer buying, forward excepted, was brilliant. I also think we need to realise where we are now and just have as much fun as we can. I am of the old ilk that saw us 79/83, but I think we are better set up now than we were then. That is all, I just think we have an exciting future.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
From my point of view, and forgetting the Hyppia debacle, we have been used to winning since we moved to the Amex. We are, as expected, winning less now, but after such a great 7 years we are now settling in to winning a little less which is giving us a few bottom burping moments. I thought we were great today, win excluded obviously. I don't get why we can't defend set pieces because we have always been so good at that. I also don't get when we are negative because we really have a flair to attack. I think we are possibly one very good player away from being a very good Prem side. I think our summer buying, forward excepted, was brilliant. I also think we need to realise where we are now and just have as much fun as we can. I am of the old ilk that saw us 79/83, but I think we are better set up now than we were then. That is all, I just think we have an exciting future.

Totally agree.

Well said.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We were excellent today.
A few games ago I Thought we had become very predictable in our play and that other teams had worked us out.
Clearly that is being addressed. Our passing, whilst far from perfect, has become crisper and has more purpose.

Our squad is being carefully and shrewdly built.

We are in extremely good hands.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We were excellent today.
A few games ago I Thought we had become very predictable in our play and that other teams had worked us out.
Clearly that is being addressed. Our passing, whilst far from perfect, has become crisper and has more purpose.

Our squad is being carefully and shrewdly built.
We are in excellent hands.

We are in extremely good hands.

I don't seem to have the same fears as many Brighton fans. I seriously believe we are too good to go down. I don't look at the trapdoor and relate us with it. Watching some of our possession, not just today but recently, makes me tingle with pride. I just think we need to cut out this set piece problem we have and stop being negative, because we really are good enough not to be. Having said all that, love it, absolutely love it.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I don't seem to have the same fears as many Brighton fans. I seriously believe we are too good to go down. I don't look at the trapdoor and relate us with it. Watching some of our possession, not just today but recently, makes me tingle with pride. I just think we need to cut out this set piece problem we have and stop being negative, because we really are good enough not to be. Having said all that, love it, absolutely love it.

This is your first mistake. So many teams in the prem have been "too good to go down" and ooops TRAP DOOR!!

Whilst our possession can be good, at times, we look a totally different side when teams press us higher up the pitch. Then we struggle to string 3 passes together, but thats generally against the better sides in the league.

Its probably worth remembering that our defending from set pieces can be made easier if more help was forthcoming from the keeper, in terms of commanding his area better IMO.
Many times the ball has been swung in from set pieces and he's been glued to his line. All the best defences have keepers who command their area well and take charge of situations IMHO.
This season is a huge learning curve for all, as to what's required to remain in this league. Nobody's perfect, not even Man City!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is your first mistake. So many teams in the prem have been "too good to go down" and ooops TRAP DOOR!!

Whilst our possession can be good, at times, we look a totally different side when teams press us higher up the pitch. Then we struggle to string 3 passes together, but thats generally against the better sides in the league.

Its probably worth remembering that our defending from set pieces can be made easier if more help was forthcoming from the keeper, in terms of commanding his area better IMO.
Many times the ball has been swung in from set pieces and he's been glued to his line. All the best defences have keepers who command their area well and take charge of situations IMHO.
This season is a huge learning curve for all, as to what's required to remain in this league. Nobody's perfect, not even Man City!!

When I typed 'too good to go down' I knew it would be pounced on and fair play. But I really, really do think that. No-one is too good to go down but I don't see us being there come May. I think you're assessment of Ryan is a tad harsh, I think he's saved us many times this year, we should be looking at Dunky and Duffy and their decision making. These are the two lads that should be making the headers, shouldn't be getting as far as Ryan. We are the top team for conceding headed goals. We have two brilliant centre backs but they are losing too often in arial combats from set pieces. Matty is our last line of defence, it should be cleared before it gets to him.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
When I typed 'too good to go down' I knew it would be pounced on and fair play. But I really, really do think that. No-one is too good to go down but I don't see us being there come May. I think you're assessment of Ryan is a tad harsh, I think he's saved us many times this year, we should be looking at Dunky and Duffy and their decision making. These are the two lads that should be making the headers, shouldn't be getting as far as Ryan. We are the top team for conceding headed goals. We have two brilliant centre backs but they are losing too often in arial combats from set pieces. Matty is our last line of defence, it should be cleared before it gets to him.

Let there not be any confusion, I like Matt Ryan. I think he has saved us on many occasions, especially at Newcastle Saturday where I witnessed a fabulous display.

I'm just picking up on the defensive frailties from set pieces and offering an opinion based on what I've noticed. I'm not for one minute saying MR should come for every cross, BUT, its a massive help when you see your goalkeeper claiming the ball on a more regular basis when crosses come in. Teams have to think differently when you have a keeper who does this regularly as they know he will come and gobble everything up if anywhere within the 6 yard box up to the penalty spot.

Far too much pressure is put on Dunk and Duffy to mop up EVERYTHING and that's whats unfair. If you look at todays player ratings, JI get the lions share of the plaudits even though we probably lost two points because of his 1 v 1 miss. As far as I'm concerned if a defender makes an error which leads to points dropped, he gets lambasted for it and gets a 4/5 out of 10. Once again, defensive mistakes being highlighted for losing points as opposed to simple chances missed being conveniently overlooked.

Its a funny old game

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Kind of going round in circles here, but do you not think that Ryan might be more inclined to come out to collect corners and set pieces if there was someone on the posts?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Kind of going round in circles here, but do you not think that Ryan might be more inclined to come out to collect corners and set pieces if there was someone on the posts?

Ask CH, I'm the wrong person.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Let there not be any confusion, I like Matt Ryan. I think he has saved us on many occasions, especially at Newcastle Saturday where I witnessed a fabulous display.

I'm just picking up on the defensive frailties from set pieces and offering an opinion based on what I've noticed. I'm not for one minute saying MR should come for every cross, BUT, its a massive help when you see your goalkeeper claiming the ball on a more regular basis when crosses come in. Teams have to think differently when you have a keeper who does this regularly as they know he will come and gobble everything up if anywhere within the 6 yard box up to the penalty spot.

Far too much pressure is put on Dunk and Duffy to mop up EVERYTHING and that's whats unfair. If you look at todays player ratings, JI get the lions share of the plaudits even though we probably lost two points because of his 1 v 1 miss. As far as I'm concerned if a defender makes an error which leads to points dropped, he gets lambasted for it and gets a 4/5 out of 10. Once again, defensive mistakes being highlighted for losing points as opposed to simple chances missed being conveniently overlooked.

Its a funny old game

Yes, I agree, I wasn't trying to be anything other, just offering another opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here