Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our ability to retain possession when under pressure....

....and not fire hopeless long balls to nobody, must be close to the worst in the Premier League. The pressure that rained down on us, the number of scrambled corners...

We can gnash our teeth at squandering 3 points but Ibe ran rings around our midfield today and a neutral would probably say a draw was fair despite our good chances to kill off the game.

Yes we all know we need a pacy striker but what about a boss midfielder (basically a more robust version of Kayal)?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree with the sentiment but Stephens can boss matches at times. He just needs to do so with more consistency. Like a lot of our squad he is still finding his feet at Premier League level so I’m inclined to keep faith with the midfield and focus on looking for a goal scorer.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
....and not fire hopeless long balls to nobody, must be close to the worst in the Premier League. The pressure that rained down on us, the number of scrambled corners...

We can gnash our teeth at squandering 3 points but Ibe ran rings around our midfield today and a neutral would probably say a draw was fair despite our good chances to kill off the game.

Yes we all know we need a pacy striker but what about a boss midfielder (basically a more robust version of Kayal)?

Agreed, if the two pjayers the Guardian are predicating we will bring in are striker and attacking midfielder then all is well!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I agree with the sentiment but Stephens can boss matches at times. He just needs to do so with more consistency. Like a lot of our squad he is still finding his feet at Premier League level so I’m inclined to keep faith with the midfield and focus on looking for a goal scorer.

The best players are consistently good, Dale just can't find his rhythm and reach that level consistency. Too many misplaced passes and not enough confidence to shoot when the opportunity arises.

If we can't find the star striker we need, would it not be wise to invest the £20 million on a midfielder upgrade, Rather than not sign anyone?

Stephens has had a wonderful year in the Stripes. But today was the day he really needed to grab the middle of the park by the scruff of the neck. Just didn’t see it - often bypsssed by defenders with hopeless ballls, has to be the big man demanding the ball, our Aaron Moy? Is he that player - hope so but maybe he needs competition for his place

Stumpy Tim

To be fair, Propper and Stephens have played every minute over the Christmas period. Hughton's decision not to replace either of them at some point today was ridiculous - they were both absolutely knackered after 60-70 minutes (as was Gross). Instead, Gross gets 5 minutes rest and neither Stephens or Propper get anything. The players were clinging on as they were exhausted

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Bournemouth had three subs on before Hughton decided to put any on. There were so many knackered players out there. I was really disappointed that Hughton waited so long to make subs today and actually waited for an injury before he made the first one.

Having pacey decent strikers gained Bournemouth a point today. We would have won that game at a canter if we had a pacey quality forward to call on. Murray didn’t have a bad game but is incapable of keeping up with play on the counter attack which meant their defenders were not stretched as they could have been.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The best players are consistently good, Dale just can't find his rhythm and reach that level consistency. Too many misplaced passes and not enough confidence to shoot when the opportunity arises.

If we can't find the star striker we need, would it not be wise to invest the £20 million on a midfielder upgrade, Rather than not sign anyone?

There's only one CM I'd be considering dropping today on that performance and it isn't Stephens.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Bournemouth had three subs on before Hughton decided to put any on. There were so many knackered players out there. I was really disappointed that Hughton waited so long to make subs today and actually waited for an injury before he made the first one.

Having pacey decent strikers gained Bournemouth a point today. We would have won that game at a canter if we had a pacey quality forward to call on. Murray didn’t have a bad game but is incapable of keeping up with play on the counter attack which meant their defenders were not stretched as they could have been.

Agree with this and decision to have brown on bench instead of baldock (assuming fit) cost us as adding some pace at that point we could have used baldock as an outlet

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
To be fair, Propper and Stephens have played every minute over the Christmas period. Hughton's decision not to replace either of them at some point today was ridiculous - they were both absolutely knackered after 60-70 minutes (as was Gross). Instead, Gross gets 5 minutes rest and neither Stephens or Propper get anything. The players were clinging on as they were exhausted
Totally agree. If we’d have conceded at the end there I’d have been furious. Crying out for fresh legs that game. The players gave so much.

D

Deleted member 2719

I really think we were lucky today when you let someone bash 27 shots at you goal and they have 12 corners your asking for trouble.

They were stronger, fitter and faster.

Need to add we don't like it up us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Our ability to retain possession when under pressure........and not fire hopeless long balls to nobody, must be close to the worst in the Premier League. The pressure that rained down on us, the number of scrambled corners.

The problem lies not in firing long balls, but in the fact that there is often nobody up there to fire them to, thus rendering them hopeless.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Agree with this and decision to have brown on bench instead of baldock (assuming fit) cost us as adding some pace at that point we could have used baldock as an outlet

I am not into conspiracy theorys generally. But I on this subject feel like there is something we dont know. I can not see rhyme nor reason why Baldock is not getting a proper chance, he is definitely good enough, my instinct is that CH and he arent compatable for some reason I really dont know TBH. Something is up though

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I am not into conspiracy theorys generally. But I on this subject feel like there is something we dont know. I can not see rhyme nor reason why Baldock is not getting a proper chance, he is definitely good enough, my instinct is that CH and he arent compatable for some reason I really dont know TBH. Something is up though
Baldock clearly doesn't fit with Hughtons formation of playing one up top. Why can't we play 4 4 2 at home? At least try it ffs

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

But hes not good enough, its as simple as that. Not as good as Murray or Hemed playing up top on his own, not as good as Gross in the No 10 role.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
There's only one CM I'd be considering dropping today on that performance and it isn't Stephens.

Stephen's is very good at ball retention and recycling play, but I get frustrated when I can see a player crying out for a forward pass and he chooses to turn back and play the ball to the defence again.

We get a lot of stick about our lack of goals, but Could part of the problem be not enough service through the middle of the pitch? We have to rely on our wingers all the time, which is a bit predictable to defend against. Stephens is the biggest culprit in my opinion, he seldom runs at players with the ball and to often gives the ball away when passing forwards.

I understand that this will upset some, and yes there are many worse players, but I don't think he is as good as it gets.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Two words: Renato Neto. Would have improved us in this area drastically

Just checked his Twitter feed and it looks like he is back kicking a ball again, so could this deal be resurrected?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here