Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Washing Machine Repairs

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Wondered if anybody would be able to help - last couple of washes our Hotpoint 7kg washing machine (four or five years old I reckon) has been really noisy, especially during spin, making a loud, clanking noise. Just put another load on and has gone through cycle til towards end of spin, then noticed the smell of burning rubber and then smoke filling the drum. Turned off and unplugged, have clothes out and rotating the drum it feels very loose and seems to drop a little during the turn. Does this sound like a fixable thing to anyone or is it time to start browsing the interest-free deals again? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Turn it off and on gain and replace the fanbelt

There is someone on here who does this stuff I think it could be Muhammed Bruce Lee who might be able to help should my suggestion not work

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Daves (bruce Lee )on his honeymoon but give him a ring , he's never very far away from his phone , here's the big day just before the i do .

giphy.gif

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
As said, change the fan belt and whilst there change the brushes on the motor. Anyone who is able to use a socket set and a screwdriver can do it. I think it is www.spareparts.co.uk or similar. Will cost you an hour of your time and bout £30. If its not that you should be able to find what it is by a visual check.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Regarding the clanking on spin.
Try checking the drain filter thing that can usually be accessed from the bottom front of the machine for coins, it's not called the money box for nothing.
There is a propeller type thing in there where small coins get caught, put your fingers right up to make sure they are all out.
Careful as a lot of water will flow out onto the floor.
That may be all that's wrong with it, although Hotpoint are not the best of brands quality wise for the money especially ovens.
Regarding the above, I use e spares, that may be who you meant.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Clanking noise is probably due to a loose counterweight or suspension legs.
Nothing to do with blocked pump or carbon brushes so don’t waste your money buying stuff like that.
As someone has previously said, hotpoint are pretty crap when it comes to build quality, bearings normally fail within 12-18 months.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Just read your post again. Loose drum would suggest a cracked drum spider.
Depending on age, I would suggest throwing it away. You’ll be paying for 2+ hours work plus materials.
I’m guessing by the way, no way of telling without seeing it

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Wondered if anybody would be able to help - last couple of washes our Hotpoint 7kg washing machine (four or five years old I reckon) has been really noisy, especially during spin, making a loud, clanking noise. Just put another load on and has gone through cycle til towards end of spin, then noticed the smell of burning rubber and then smoke filling the drum. Turned off and unplugged, have clothes out and rotating the drum it feels very loose and seems to drop a little during the turn. Does this sound like a fixable thing to anyone or is it time to start browsing the interest-free deals again? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Reading your post again, it sounds really f00ked. Hope that helps

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Just read your post again. Loose drum would suggest a cracked drum spider.
Depending on age, I would suggest throwing it away. You’ll be paying for 2+ hours work plus materials.
I’m guessing by the way, no way of telling without seeing it

Reading your post again, it sounds really f00ked. Hope that helps

Yeah, just had the top off it and the drive belt is in one piece and nothing of note looks wrong but rotating the drum it keeps grinding slightly at the base of the drum and feels out of place so thing a new one will be sought. Thanks for everybody's help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here