Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Defenders on both posts at corners!

Double Hard Bastard

Oct 16, 2006
Any body know why we don't have post covered?! Would have a saved a number of goals this season! Unfashionable I know but so affective! Come on CH get on board!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Having someone on the post wouldn’t haven’t stopped that first goal. Unless you can headbutt the crossbar.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
We normally put players on the post from my memory. Maybe we have abandoned that in an attempt to concede fewer goals by having more players attacking the ball? Wouldn't have mattered for either of the goals conceded today though

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Preference. Men on the post play everyone onside allowing people to sneak into the middle and get on the end of flick ons, and it reduces the number of defending players challenging for the ball in the middle, increasing the chance that the attacking team will get on the end of the ball and get a shot. Goals still get conceded when men are on the post, so it doesn't guarantee you'll stop the goal - it gives an area of uncertainty with the keeper not going for it because there's someone on the post, and the defender not going for it for fear of kicking his keeper in the head.

Putting men on the post, leaving a man on the half way line, man marking, zonal marking, short corners, long corners, in-swinging out-swinging. None of it is "the right way" to play. None of it guarantees wins or clean sheets, it all comes down to preference (player or manager).

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Just win our individual contests and win the header. Forget covering both posts, not such a modern trait. Duffy got done by Cook in quick succession and Schelotto seem to crumble like a flake and didn’t even manage to get off the ground. The goal was avoidable, but as somebody said above. A man on the post would have not stopped it from going in.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What's troubling is that we have practically our whole team in the area and we are still losing a lot of headers. I believe, having a man on both posts from corners would probably have saved us some goals this season, but not today. Though I accept we will lose even more headers in the box, I think the extra insurance will gain us a percentage in the long term . Having men on posts also reduces the risk of the keeper advancing to claim the cross.

I'd set up something like .... Suttner, far post, Stephens near post. 1 winger near taker, other winger hovering at edge of box or near the taker to cover any short corner, Duffy, Dunk, Bruno, Propper, Murray and Gross marking and attacking the ball. That should be enough

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It tends to be teams who Zonal mark at corners who put men on the post.

As we man mark at corners then each person has a man to mark so they mark that individual. You lose to a degree the threat of a counter attack from corners of you have men on the post. It's a balancing act. I like men on the post is I am honest but if the team is not the best at zonal marking it probably wouldn't help in most occasions.

We tend to zonal mark for free kicks and we don't seem to be brilliant at it so on balance I think we play it like we should JUST

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here