Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pub dissicuon issue

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Why should they when they dont believe in Christ so what is there to celebrate.
None of my family believe in Christ, yet we celebrated Christmas. Which I imagine is the case for a huge number of non-Muslim families in the UK. Why should it be any different for Muslims? If they don't want to celebrate it then fine. If they want to celebrate what is essentially a tradition and time to spend with friends and family for many (if not most) in this country then why shouldn't they?

And to the original question of whether it is ok to celebrate it - don't they get to make that decision for themselves?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
None of my family believe in Christ, yet we celebrated Christmas. Which I imagine is the case for a huge number of non-Muslim families in the UK. Why should it be any different for Muslims? If they don't want to celebrate it then fine. If they want to celebrate what is essentially a tradition and time to spend with friends and family for many (if not most) in this country then why shouldn't they?

And to the original question of whether it is ok to celebrate it - don't they get to make that decision for themselves?

It is hypocritical as indeed you are being it is in the name CHRISTmas

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It is hypocritical as indeed you are being it is in the name CHRISTmas
Well I suppose half the country had better stop celebrating it then. And I suppose anyone who doesn't go to church at least once a week should also have to work on Christmas Day, as it's a religious holiday. That'll go down well

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Christmas is a time to celebrate for some it's a religious festival while for others it's family time all are welcome to enjoy as they see fit

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why should they when they dont believe in Christ so what is there to celebrate.

Christmas has lost all religious meaning to a lot of people as they are not religious themselves. It has a new meaning to them, one where it's about Santa for the kids, it's about spending time with family that you rarely see, good food and having fun at what would otherwise be quite a depressing time of year (short days, etc)

Besides, Christmas has its roots in European pagan culture when spreading Christianity borrowed from established winter solstice traditions and festivals across pagan Europe to establish itself as the dominant form of religious expression. (stolen traditions include: the tree in the house, feasting, caroling, mistletoe, gift giving and Santa)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Most of the people "celebrating" Christmas aren't Christians or even religious. It's just a cultural thing now. Same with Easter and Easter eggs.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Point of order here - Muslims do believe in Christ. As far as I understand it, they regard him as a prophet.

Indeed, Christ is not someone to believe in or not to believe in, he did exist. Whether or not you believe he was the son of God is a separate issue. The commemoration of his birth is a wonderful time for many, I’m all for that.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
It happens EVERY year .... some twonk ruins Christmas by bringing up religion! What do Christmas trees and sparkly lights have to do with a fictional character from the middle east???

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Drinking in the pub with muslim friends?

Some do some don't (drink or celebrate Christmas)

Me & my son had a 20 minute kick about with a bunch on christmas day - they werent celebrating it & were just playing football like any normal day.

I expect any devout muslim wouldn't yet someone who cares a lot less would.

It is good news for me as i was able to buy milk eggs & tin foil on christmas day. Years ago I'd have been screwed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here