Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In 12th place at the end of December - where you thought we would be?

Where did you think we would be?

• Stuck in the relegation zone

Votes: 29 26.9%
  • bottom end of the table, not waving but drowning

Votes: 62 57.4%
  • mid-table mediocrity

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • flying high

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • European Cup champions elect

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
With over half the season now gone, where did you think we would be at this stage of the season? Despite a dodgy December, we're in a very respectable mid-table position. I've been looking at it as 6th out of 14 amongst the league also-rans - much better than I thought we would do way back in June/July and much, much better than I expected after the transfer window closed with 2 failed medicals, Baldock injured and no striker coming to the club.

I thought we would be bottom 5 for sure. Still a long way to go but very glad that I've been proven wrong so far.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh goody, another poll. :ffsparr:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Easy to get ahead of ourselves but when you look at our latter fixtures I think people will begin to realize we need to accumulate points quite quickly...

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Hold on. Had Joselu scored at the Amex when it was harder to miss and Newcastle held on, we would be in bottom 5. There seems to be a false sense of security on NSC presently based on being 12th. For sure, we would all bite hands off to be 12th but it is VERY fine margins that dictate.

Reality is that all teams from Watford down are in the mix (cant quite see Leicester or Everton getting sucked in); we cannot 0-0 our way to safety.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
We're doing OK, but as the Boss has said, we could be doing even better.
Hopefully a cunning acquisition or two will make the difference in the next few months, as with our run-in we really need to be pretty much safe by Easter. Turn a few draws into wins and we'll make it :banana:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We need a cushion against when we play the top teams and everyone else plays with each other.

D

Deleted member 2719

A few points above the relegation zone isn't anything to shout about, so I don't buy all this up selling style of we are midtable.

It's all about the points and we need more of those 3 point type of ones before March or its back to the Championship IMO.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hold on. Had Joselu scored at the Amex when it was harder to miss and Newcastle held on, we would be in bottom 5. There seems to be a false sense of security on NSC presently based on being 12th. For sure, we would all bite hands off to be 12th but it is VERY fine margins that dictate.

And if Bruno hadn't had that brain fart against Everton and if Murray had not fluffed the penalty against Burnley we would be higher...there's a lot more sense in debating where we are rather than hypotheticals. We've played 20 games and are currently 12th, I think that's enough of a season gone for luck to even itself out and for us to make a meaningful assessment of our relative position.

scooter1

How soon is now?
We're in a far better league position than I thought we would be, but the gap between 10th and 20th is also a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I find myself frustrated at some of the results we have had(such as today, and recently against Burnley) where in fact, a point should really be seen as a point gained. We're in a relegation fight, but at present we're at the right end of it. However that could change if a couple of results don't go our way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
12 place - no.
4 points above relegation - yes.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I thought we would struggle to be honest, and we have in some games but have been able to hold our own in others. We just need to recover our scoring formula from last season.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
And if Bruno hadn't had that brain fart against Everton and if Murray had not fluffed the penalty against Burnley we would be higher...there's a lot more sense in debating where we are rather than hypotheticals. We've played 20 games and are currently 12th, I think that's enough of a season gone for luck to even itself out and for us to make a meaningful assessment of our relative position.

My point isn't about luck - it is that we are 12th in a very tight situation - could be 10th or 17th with very small swings either way. That isn't hypothetical, it is mathematical fact. It is fine as it stands, but goals scored is becoming a real concern; being 12th doesn't mask that. It can all change suddenly, a couple of wins in this situation and we are well on way to safety but TBH don't find a lot to be confident about based on last 10 games.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
12th about right at present. A good (if slightly negative) side which is a Premier Striker away from 7th or 8th which is all they can be without an injection of £200+ million or so.

Should stay up in any case, certainly way better than WBA and Swansea.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Having looked at the last TEN fixtures I will be surprised if we get 6 points from them.

That leaves just 7 other games between now and beginning of March to win at least 12 points to be safe. A tall order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here