Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings v Newcastle

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Just home from SJP, I'll have first bash at the ratings.

Ryan - 9 Two fantastic saves highlighted a complete performance. Safe handling, great distribution. Clear MOTM for me.

Bruno - 4 Very poor today. I counted at least 5 attacks which he slowed down to a walk when a bit of urgency was needed. Also looked vulnerable in defence.

Duffy and Dunk - 8 each. Laid their bodies on their line time and again. Dominant in the air, hardly let anything past all afternoon. Also a threat at set pieces.

Bong - 6 pretty solid. But apart from one excellent cross late on, added very little in their final third.

Stephens - 6 did his defensive duties efficiently, but wasn't too good when further up the pitch. Too many times he slowed the attack down and his passing was wayward at times.

Propper - 8 had a very good game. Never gave the ball away. Might have got a 9 but for his poor shooting attempts.

March and Knockaert - 5 each. Both appear way short of the form of last season. Or maybe they are just very good Championship players. Both seem to lack the confidence to take on a full back. Any time they got in decent positions to run an opponent, they seemed to put their foot on the ball and look to pass backwards or sidewards. Both very disappointing for me.

Gross - 6 Is such a clever player. Seems to think at a different level to most of his teammates. Often makes passes to places he thinks his teammate should be running into, yet they haven't moved. Today was not his best day, but easily the most inventive player in yellow. If there was going to be a goal (unlikely I grant you) it would have been created by him.

Murray - 2 woeful.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

Ryan - 9 Two fantastic saves highlighted a complete performance. Safe handling, great distribution. Clear MOTM for me.

Bruno - 4 Very poor today. I counted at least 5 attacks which he slowed down to a walk when a bit of urgency was needed. Also looked vulnerable in defence.

Duffy and Dunk - 8 each. Laid their bodies on their line time and again. Dominant in the air, hardly let anything past all afternoon. Also a threat at set pieces.

Bong - 6 pretty solid. But apart from one excellent cross late on, added very little in their final third.

Stephens - 6 did his defensive duties efficiently, but wasn't too good when further up the pitch. Too many times he slowed the attack down and his passing was wayward at times.

Propper - 8 had a very good game. Never gave the ball away. Might have got a 9 but for his poor shooting attempts.

March and Knockaert - 5 each. Both appear way short of the form of last season. Or maybe they are just very good Championship players. Both seem to lack the confidence to take on a full back. Any time they got in decent positions to run an opponent, they seemed to put their foot on the ball and look to pass backwards or sidewards. Both very disappointing for me.

Gross - 6 Is such a clever player. Seems to think at a different level to most of his teammates. Often makes passes to places he thinks his teammate should be running into, yet they haven't moved. Today was not his best day, but easily the most inventive player in yellow. If there was going to be a goal (unlikely I grant you) it would have been created by him.

Murray - 2 woeful.

Bit harsh on March/Knockaert! Thought March had a good game myself and give him a solid 7. His knack of winning corners also goes under rated.
AK didn't have the best of games but made a couple of decent runs/crosses and worthy of a 6

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I though March was slightly worse than AK, but both failed to deliver (literally). Very harsh on bruno and Murray

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We kept a clean sheet...how the he'll can you give out two 5s and a 2!? FFS.

Due to Newcastle being shithouse doesn’t mean our players are more deserving of marks

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Ryan - 8 - We were the better side, but arguably Newcastle had the better chances and Ryan made several sharp saves. Distribution was also good.

Bruno - 7 - saved a certain goal by managing to get some head on one of their crosses in the first half; generally composed on the ball and often at the heart of our good possession football
Dunk - 7.5 - very good as usual, except for a silly yellow card towards the end
Duffy - 6.5 - steady, but very nearly gifted them a goal in the first half by getting caught on the ball and gifting possession in the final third
Bong - 7.5 - an unsung hero - I thought he was good today. One crucial intervention in the first half and played some nice balls into March.

Knockaert - 6 - Some nice touches but didn't quite happen for him
Propper - 8 - Newcastle game us more time on the ball than the likes of Liverpool, Huddersfield and Burnley and as a result, our midfield pairing were much more influential
Stephens - 7.5 - See Propper above
March - 6 - See Knockaert above, but came into the game in the last 15 mins

Gross - 6.5 - covered a lot of ground, but never really threatened them offensively
Murray - 5 - ineffectual

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
March comes across as an intelligent man in interviews but in terms of football intelligence he is lacking big time.
Like David beckham in reverse.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Ah yeah, right, they have ZERO defensive duties. I forgot. Sorry.

Apology accepted.....Not sure about Zero but you win games by scoring more than defence lets in....Ryan,Dunk,Duffy keep em out Knocky,March.Murray etc need to score.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
March is a really odd one. Low ratings the last few games but started off the season really well and was one of our best players

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We kept a clean sheet...how the he'll can you give out two 5s and a 2!? FFS.
Which I believe is the eighth (eight) time this season, in the league.
Or maybe they are just very good Championship players
As the months and matches come and go, this is looking increasingly true.
I don't see how so many posters can come to a similar conclusion as this, esp when, I assume, many hold the belief this squad is a decent striker away from being very good.

There are so many factors involved in how the 3 wingers play mainly centred around the teams inability to score.

Get a goalscorer (or 2).
Start beating teams.

Then come back and say they are 'Championship' at best.

Only pure undiluted nimrods, of the Maty Ryan thread fame, would be calling our current wingers 'Championship at best' if they currently each had 5 assists.

Last edited:

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Knockaert had onne really good run in the last 10 minutes. Beat a couple of players and attacked the box. Looked like his old self for that one moment.

But FML he tried a shot which was virtually certain to be charged down instead of slipping the ball to Gross on his left who had oceans of space to attack and either shoot or set up Hemed.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City

Murray - 2 woeful.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/15800135.Bruno_played_key_role__says_Newcastle_boss/

Granted I only watched on TV, but I thought Bruno had a very good game...and so did Rafa.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here