Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] VPN is it beneficial

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has been suggested to me that if watching games on my laptop I should get VPN but it seems quite expensive, not per month, but the deals are for 2 or 3 years and being 74 I wonder about the long term. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The money you spend on a VPN would be better spent on a paid IPTV type service.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I use ip vanish. About £8 a month. Enables me to watch all tv content for free = well worth it for me

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Dont think VPN is for you BG if you are concerned your contract will outlive you.
Google VPL instead, might be more up your alley

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I used a VPN for a number of years as I spend time abroad and it worked brilliantly until about a year ago. Now it seems the BBC and SKY know you are abroad even with a VPN so have given up on it.

As a matter of interest what is the point of a VPN when you are UK based?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I used a VPN for a number of years as I spend time abroad and it worked brilliantly until about a year ago. Now it seems the BBC and SKY know you are abroad even with a VPN so have given up on it.

As a matter of interest what is the point of a VPN when you are UK based?

They don't know you are abroad, they just block the VPN provider IP addresses.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I use the Zen Mate chrome plugin to access most stuff that’s blocked in the UK. There is a premium version but I find the free one works well enough.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Thanks, is there a way around this that is reasonably simple to do?
Use a decent paid for VPN is the answer. I travel extensively in China, and 'Express VPN' is the best I've found. These guys never let me down, and testing in China is a pretty good benchmark.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Free ones worked when I lived in China and can be useful anywhere abroad to watch UK TV.

If you're in UK wanting to appear abroad I've done that too. No need to pay.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

My Dad lives abroad, still uses a VPN daily for iPlayer and Sky Go.

Use a VPN that definitely has a range of random IP addresses allocated.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It has been suggested to me that if watching games on my laptop I should get VPN but it seems quite expensive, not per month, but the deals are for 2 or 3 years and being 74 I wonder about the long term. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated

4.27am....was this causing you a sleepless night?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
4.27am....was this causing you a sleepless night?

No I had woken up, as usual to check the test score as I have give up watching it live . As regards trhe VPN I have installed Opera after being advised so as to watch a game but cannot see where or how you add the free VPN which would probably suffice for what I need. Or is it automatically added as part of the download? In which case I neednt worry about it and just use that instead of Chrome.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The money you spend on a VPN would be better spent on a paid IPTV type service.

The premier league now block uk access to all Iptv servers for the duration of any premier league matches, so a vpn is essential. Even Mobdro sports channels are inaccessible during matches without a vpn.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
No I had woken up, as usual to check the test score as I have give up watching it live . As regards trhe VPN I have installed Opera after being advised so as to watch a game but cannot see where or how you add the free VPN which would probably suffice for what I need. Or is it automatically added as part of the download? In which case I neednt worry about it and just use that instead of Chrome.

Yeah, it comes already installed with the download.
Follow these steps to access a VPN

Click-on Menu > New Private Window > VPN (in the address bar) > Black Off button (to turn on VPN) > Optimal Location below will be shown below as the default VPN
or you can scroll down and choose between Canada, USA, Germany, Netherlands or Singapore.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
You do realise BG that if you watch epl games even with a VPN the police will catch you and spank your bottom until it is blue

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here