Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Rhian Brewster

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
would much rather we bought someone permanently like Nunez. no point in us developing another teams youth player for a season when we've got plenty of good youth players in out squad (though granted, the striker area really does need strengthening and we can't just rely on connolly). either add someone who's permanently here to compete and improve or don't bother imo.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
would much rather we bought someone permanently like Nunez. no point in us developing another teams youth player for a season when we've got plenty of good youth players in out squad (though granted, the striker area really does need strengthening and we can't just rely on connolly). either add someone who's permanently here to compete and improve or don't bother imo.

Don’t go forwards go down?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It can be a great solution for a season. Low risk, very low cost, freeing up funds for strengthening elsewhere in the squad.

The Leeds situation is unprecedented in that they have a sense of entitlement, over another club’s asset.

Brewster scores 20 goals. Happy days but in 12 months time, we still have the same problem only now as a side we are used to how he plays, we've adjusted our style to accommodate him and we are faced with integrating a new forward into the side again. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it under any circumstances but we should try and find our own in house solution first. A new signing or developing a player ourselves. If we sign a player and they score 20 goals, again happy days, but we have the choice to keep that player or even if we sell him to reinvest the money into the time. It has to be the first option surely?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
A loan isn't the worst idea in the world. It's not like we've got a great record at buying strikers.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
At first I wasn't sure about loaning, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

For this summer only, we could save a hefty outlay, which we may not have due to covid related losses.

Any striker we sign carries an inherent risk, as we know from experience. Loaning mitigates the risk in these uncertain times.

By saving money on a striker we might then perhaps push the boat out a little further in other, less risky areas. This too will mitigate risk as we avoid the old trap of 'buy cheap buy twice'.

We could then spend maybe 50% more on a top quality defensive midfielder, someone who would be a safer investment than a punt on a young striker with no Premier League experience.

And who knows, next summer Liverpool may want to sell and we'd be in pole position to make the deal permanent.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
At first I wasn't sure about loaning, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

For this summer only, we could save a hefty outlay, which we may not have due to covid related losses.

Any striker we sign carries an inherent risk, as we know from experience. Loaning mitigates the risk in these uncertain times.

By saving money on a striker we might then perhaps push the boat out a little further in other, less risky areas. This too will mitigate risk as we avoid the old trap of 'buy cheap buy twice'.

We could then spend maybe 50% more on a top quality defensive midfielder, someone who would be a safer investment than a punt on a young striker with no Premier League experience.

And who knows, next summer Liverpool may want to sell and we'd be in pole position to make the deal permanent.

I think this may be a good backup option.

No matter our opinions on which striker to go for, it does seem we are actively perusing one this window. We’ve been linked with 4 or 5 now?

I wonder if this is a nice back up option in case we can’t clinch one of these deals.

As said tho. I’d sooner promote in-house any day than develop someone else’s player. Let’s see what happens.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It can be a great solution for a season. Low risk, very low cost, freeing up funds for strengthening elsewhere in the squad.

The Leeds situation is unprecedented in that they have a sense of entitlement, over another club’s asset.

Leeds’ problem is that BW was their best player in a small squad, and that squad needs remarkable improvement in order to compete in the PL. They won’t achieve that with the mooted £50m budget

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
don't really see how developing someone else's player for a year as opposed to getting someone else in who'll be here to fight for a place on the squad for a few years is going forward to be honest

The club is losing money hand over fist at the moment and had to repay £10M+ to the TV companies maybe we cannot afford to spend big this season so need a stop gap until 12 months time when we might be in a better position financially.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The club is losing money hand over fist at the moment and had to repay £10M+ to the TV companies maybe we cannot afford to spend big this season so need a stop gap until 12 months time when we might be in a better position financially.

£10m to the TV companies + however much to STH's. This year's finances, for us and others are going to be hideous.

Though remember, for the first time in a good few years, we're likely to make significant money through player sales, (don't want to start a discussion on the names, but we'll certainly be listening to bids for fringe players at least)

The issue about whether we should get a stop gap in, depends to me, on the question "a stopgap to who?" Do the club believe that one of Mlakar, Gyokeres, Richards, Cashman will be ready to step in and be a Premier League striker in a year. If so, go for it. If not, I doubt the finances will be better in 12 months time, so now would be as good as any time to splash the cash.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The other moving part here is Andone. Yes, yes he's injured, yes, he got himself sent off to force a move which under normal circumstances isn't forgiveable. These aren't normal circumstances now and getting him another club before he's proved his fitness won't be easy. I wonder if the club are thinking, the back up plan to not landing a Nunez type, is to get through with what we've got to whenever Florin is back, no idea when, maybe xmas, then see if it's possible to re-integrate.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Speaking of making losses, and appreciate this isn't really the thread for it, but i wonder if EFL/EPL/FIFA et al will look at relaxing FFP for a few years. With so many clubs in financial plight it might look a bit silly if half of every division starts on minus points for a few seasons whilst things get back to whatever the 'new normal' is.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

if it's genuinely the case that we can't afford to spend on a striker then fair enough, that's our only option. but to be honest, given the cohort we've been linked with so far, and the fact that we've turned down big money offers for some players (i.e white), doesn't lead me to believe that we can't afford to spend this window.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's disgusting that Liverpool clearly don't rate Brewster. If they did, why haven't they been PLAYING him all last season? They don't CARE about his development. Klopp probably doesn't even know who he is.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's disgusting that Liverpool clearly don't rate Brewster. If they did, why haven't they been PLAYING him all last season? They don't CARE about his development. Klopp probably doesn't even know who he is.

Liverpool fans hadn’t even heard about him until recently.. they so obviously don’t want him, he should go to a club where he’s appreciated [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
if it's genuinely the case that we can't afford to spend on a striker then fair enough, that's our only option. but to be honest, given the cohort we've been linked with so far, and the fact that we've turned down big money offers for some players (i.e white), doesn't lead me to believe that we can't afford to spend this window.

The fact that the chairman is putting in a seven figure sum each week would suggest otherwise and he clearly want to avoid a fire sale and lose the crown jewels.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
don't really see how developing someone else's player for a year as opposed to getting someone else in who'll be here to fight for a place on the squad for a few years is going forward to be honest

Sorry. Just that you said “sign someone permanently OR DONT BOTHER” which I think would be dangerous

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

And if he shines and lifts the whole club....... We can set our own buy price and launch the #FreeRhianBrewster campaign

Last edited:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
freerhianbrewster.jpg

I think I just discovered a new business idea...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here