Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Rhian Brewster

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Clearly a strong character who knows what he needs to do. Not surprised by the places or teams he encountered this from though.

P.S. off topic, can we get him in on loan?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Two things, a damn shame it still happens, and a damn shame that it upsets him so much.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It's never happened in English football which is good. Only European. Well done for him we speaking out on the issue. Clearly FIFA and UEFA have serious issues internally they need to deal with and I predict this will come to a head in Russia.

The UK, Germany and France are a very multi cultural societies. Russia and the other former Soviet blocks weren't and still aren't exactly the go-to destinations for immigrants so they are like the UK was in the 60s with regards to racism. Needs to be stamped on hard by the football authorities.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Two things, a damn shame it still happens, and a damn shame that it upsets him so much.

Why is it a shame that it upsets him? Would you not be upset?

Good for him for speaking out as it will likely make him even more of a target when he plays in the more knuckle dragging regions of the world. Uefa need to start taking action against the countries where this is rife and has been documented for years. Full ban from all European competition would be a good start.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Two points:

1 - I wonder what would happen if as a protest Brewster and the other black players refused to take part in any UEFA anti-racism initiatives? They'd probably get heavily fined and banned knowing UEFA's priorities.

2 - Slightly annoyed that the article just glosses over the IMMENSE strides that have been made in England to counteract racism in football, however at least they acknowledge that the abuse all comes from foreigners. English football isn't racism-free by any means, but those of us who remember the 70s are proud of the progress. These articles usually like to point out where we still fall short (black coaches for example) as opposed to praising white English people for their more-enlightened attitudes. I guess having anything nice to say about the white English working class sticks in the craw of most Guardian columnists.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Two points:

1 - I wonder what would happen if as a protest Brewster and the other black players refused to take part in any UEFA anti-racism initiatives? They'd probably get heavily fined and banned knowing UEFA's priorities.

2 - Slightly annoyed that the article just glosses over the IMMENSE strides that have been made in England to counteract racism in football, however at least they acknowledge that the abuse all comes from foreigners. English football isn't racism-free by any means, but those of us who remember the 70s are proud of the progress. These articles usually like to point out where we still fall short (black coaches for example) as opposed to praising white English people for their more-enlightened attitudes. I guess having anything nice to say about the white English working class sticks in the craw of most Guardian columnists.

Think they were more enlightened by the fines, and banning orders. UEFA should deal with the same way.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Why is it a shame that it upsets him? Would you not be upset?

Good for him for speaking out as it will likely make him even more of a target when he plays in the more knuckle dragging regions of the world. Uefa need to start taking action against the countries where this is rife and has been documented for years. Full ban from all European competition would be a good start.

It is a shame that it upsets him so much because he gives them what they want. Of course he should report it, and it is right to make the complaint, and to complain that his complaints are sidelined by authorities, but getting upset about it, gives the person throwing the abuse what they wanted.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0337102

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
What an inspirational young man, can't imagine the restraint he must have to not just spark these people out. Good for him for coming out about this and good for Liverpool for backing him to the absolute hilt. I expect this is going to be one spark among many that may set off a wildfire in UEFA and FIFA over 2018 and the World Cup in Russia. This is certainly just the beginning.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Two points:

This misses the point I think, people should not be praised for not being racist, that is not an achievement. Emphasis is rightly on those who fail to comply with most basic standards of human decency.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
This misses the point I think, people should not be praised for not being racist, that is not an achievement. Emphasis is rightly on those who fail to comply with most basic standards of human decency.
I disagree. It's about education and reward, even if that reward is just acknowledgment. It shouldn't just be about punishment and threats. Probably more so when there is the 'cultural differences' aspect, (i.e. the offenders don't think they are breaking basic standards of human decency), although that of course is a whole different can of worms and may prove to be all but impossible.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Simon Jordan made some odd comments about this earlier on Talkshite. Wasn't defending the racists exactly, but almost saying he shouldn't have made a big thing about it and to try and ignore it because it won't go away...

Then started going off on a tangent about hooligans and how he doesn't care for pretty much anything outside the Premier League!

I say good for the young fella for bringing it to the front of people's minds. But the governing bodies - and clubs, to a point - need to be much stronger on it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I disagree. It's about education and reward, even if that reward is just acknowledgment. It shouldn't just be about punishment and threats. Probably more so when there is the 'cultural differences' aspect, (i.e. the offenders don't think they are breaking basic standards of human decency), although that of course is a whole different can of worms and may prove to be all but impossible.

Without the threat of the law, fines, and banning orders, do you believe it would have stopped in England?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If the FAs of all the countries with black footballers (which is the majority) withdrew from tournaments until FIFA and UEFA have put in adequate controls, then it might put enough pressure on them to take action. It won't happen - so you could argue that the FAs are also culpable.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Two points:

I think an answer to both points is that whenever and wherever Brewster is racially abused, that all his team-mates, white and black, respond and refuse to take part until the problem is addressed. It's not just an issue that black footballers should make a stand on. The lad is English and if he and other black players see that English football as a whole is completely behind him then it is a huge way of showing support. The publicity of an entire national team taking a stand might encourage other national teams like France, Belgium, Holland to do the same.

It also shows that white working-class English lads are as much in the fight to kick out racism as their black team-mates.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here