Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Notifications

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
@Bozza why are these only showing for thumbs on posts rather than post quotes? Was always interesting to see when someone had quoted one of your comments in a thread.

I'm sure the usual wags will be along shortly with links to previous threads .

But it's all to do with the ads that kept bolloxing up the board so Bozza disabled it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I think he took them off to try and resolve the "database error" issues last week.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think he took them off to try and resolve the "database error" issues last week.

Correct.

Notifications on vBulletin, the platform that runs NSC, is a third-party plugin. It transpires that it struggles with a site that is as busy as NSC, and the number of notifications generated.

It looks like I have two options:

1. Manually delete most of the notification history leaving, say, the last 3 months in place.
2. Pay for the premium version of the plugin which is, I think, something like $100.

Like some others, I'm trying to have a few quiet days currently, but it's pretty much at the top of my list of things to look at, and I'll resolve it using one of the two options above early next week if not before.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
On a totally different note - I’ve been showing 1 unread private message for about 2 years (despite not having any). Anyone know what that’s about and is there anyway to get rid?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Correct.

Notifications on vBulletin, the platform that runs NSC, is a third-party plugin. It transpires that it struggles with a site that is as busy as NSC, and the number of notifications generated.

1. Manually delete most of the notification history leaving, say, the last 3 months in place.
2. Pay for the premium version of the plugin which is, I think, something like $100.

Like some others, I'm trying to have a few quiet days currently, but it's pretty much at the top of my list of things to look at, and I'll resolve it using one of the two options above early next week if not before.

Surely if the only option is to keep NSC working properly, I'm sure that missing the quotes, wouldn't be too much of an issue.
It'll just mean that people will have to read threads more intently to look for a possibility of actually being quoted :shrug:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Correct.

Never one to tell someone who no doubt knows more about than me about the schema/site MySQL than I etc how to suck eggs

But could a 3rd option to be to run a showplan on the offending query and see if there is an index you can add manually? (granted that might be hit or miss and require a smallish amount of downtime)

Had to do similar on various 3rd party platforms on different RDBMS, just a thought like

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FWIW, once I'd got used to not being notified when someone replied to a post, I found that quite frankly I liked it better that way. If Bozza decides just to keep the notification of thumbsups, and not do the extra work/make the extra payments to restore notifications of replies, that would be fine by me. If you feel differently, fine - I'm just stating my personal preference.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Surely if the only option is to keep NSC working properly, I'm sure that missing the quotes, wouldn't be too much of an issue.
It'll just mean that people will have to read threads more intently to look for a possibility of actually being quoted :shrug:

Neither are particularly difficult, but if I can avoid paying $100 by doing some housekeeping now, and every few months, then I'll do that.

I just need to make sure that deleting hundreds of thousands of records from the database won't cause any knock-on problems.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
FWIW, once I'd got used to not being notified when someone replied to a post, I found that quite frankly I liked it better that way. If Bozza decides just to keep the notification of thumbsups, and not do the extra work/make the extra payments to restore notifications of replies, that would be fine by me. If you feel differently, fine - I'm just stating my personal preference.

FWIW I miss the notifications and if Bozza deems 100$ could fix it I would chip in a few dollars towards it (broke ATM so wouldnt be a lot but a feature I personally do miss)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Neither are particularly difficult, but if I can avoid paying $100 by doing some housekeeping now, and every few months, then I'll do that.

I just need to make sure that deleting hundreds of thousands of records from the database won't cause any knock-on problems.

I'll give you a head start.
You can delete all of my sh!te threads for starters :lolol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Correct.

I've had a Reputation comment for a over a year at least. Would it help to delete all the Reputation comments for everybody as I can't find mine and may not be alone? Perhaps you could also delete BG's posting history to free up half the database and limit him to just one day a week for posting in 2018?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've had a Reputation comment for a over a year at least. Would it help to delete all the Reputation comments for everybody as I can't find mine and may not be alone? Perhaps you could also delete BG's posting history to free up half the database and limit him to just one day a week for posting in 2018?

I've no idea what a Reputation comment is, or where to find one, or how to view one or send one, so obviously I wouldn't mind if they disappeared altogether if it makes the database simpler and easier to manage (without being swamped with adverts). As for posting history - how long do we want it kept for (never mind BG's!)? - the threads will presumably. be there, but as for personal posting history files - a week? Two weeks? Certainly don't need to go on forever

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Correct.

For me, notifications are only useful if they are current. They help me reply promptly to keep a discussion moving along. For regular users I can't see any harm in deleting all notifications over one week old... maybe to accommodate some of the less frequent visitors a month would be a reasonable option? Anything older than a month and people can use the search facility.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA

Agree with this. I have two of them, they have been there for ages, but have no idea what or where they are..

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Hi Bozza

If you see this comment, how are you getting on? I really miss responses to my comments and creating a dialogue - NSC is only half the site without a bit of banter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here