Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How the club does transfers, from Paul Barber

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've had a couple of exchanges with Paul Barber since Christmas-Day-Dembele-Gate and thought I would just share a few of his points below. I appreciate these are obvious to many, but figured it worth sharing anyway. Strap in and enjoy the ride (my words, not his).

Here you go:

- our squad evaluation and recruitment work never stops. It’s an ongoing process and a constant cycle of activity involving the 1st team, U23s, and academy.

- the recruitment team spends months working on narrowing our specific targets which are then agreed with Chris in advance of a transfer window opening.

- despite suggestions in the media and from one or two individuals on social media, the club hasn’t already signed anyone ahead of this window opening.

- unfortunately, we can’t control speculation so we can expect more of it - and more claims of inside knowledge - as the January window unfolds.

- for context, at any given time, knowledge of our transfer targets, recruitment strategy, and ongoing discussions is typically limited to just 4 people in the club.

- leading up to or during a window, we limit this information, both inside and outside the club, so that we can keep the risk of leaks to an absolute minimum.

- invariably, and despite our best efforts, leaks may (and do) still occur; they rarely help us and will sometimes damage negotiations and put deals in jeopardy.

- as a consequence, we will very rarely comment on transfer window speculation (some days we’d be doing nothing else!) and we will never discuss our targets.

- throughout any transfer window, expect some agents (and clubs) to “market make” providing the media with a range of “stories” for a variety of different reasons.

- timing for deals will vary. We don’t wait to the end of the window to do our business unless there’s a good reason to, but a selling club may well wish to do so.

- finally, as a general rule and usually regardless of media comment, club media channels will only confirm transfers when all elements of a deal are completed.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Leak-gate?

If information relating to transfer targets is restricted to only 3 or 4 people, how comes, by Barber's own admission, there are still leaks?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've had a couple of exchanges with Paul Barber since Christmas-Day-Dembele-Gate and thought I would just share a few of his points below. I appreciate these are obvious to many, but figured it worth sharing anyway. Strap in and enjoy the ride (my words, not his).

Here you go:

- our squad evaluation and recruitment work never stops. It’s an ongoing process and a constant cycle of activity involving the 1st team, U23s, and academy.

- the recruitment team spends months working on narrowing our specific targets which are then agreed with Chris in advance of a transfer window opening.

- despite suggestions in the media and from one or two individuals on social media, the club hasn’t already signed anyone ahead of this window opening.

- unfortunately, we can’t control speculation so we can expect more of it - and more claims of inside knowledge - as the January window unfolds.

- for context, at any given time, knowledge of our transfer targets, recruitment strategy, and ongoing discussions is typically limited to just 4 people in the club.

- leading up to or during a window, we limit this information, both inside and outside the club, so that we can keep the risk of leaks to an absolute minimum.

- invariably, and despite our best efforts, leaks may (and do) still occur; they rarely help us and will sometimes damage negotiations and put deals in jeopardy.

- as a consequence, we will very rarely comment on transfer window speculation (some days we’d be doing nothing else!) and we will never discuss our targets.

- throughout any transfer window, expect some agents (and clubs) to “market make” providing the media with a range of “stories” for a variety of different reasons.

- timing for deals will vary. We don’t wait to the end of the window to do our business unless there’s a good reason to, but a selling club may well wish to do so.

- finally, as a general rule and usually regardless of media comment, club media channels will only confirm transfers when all elements of a deal are completed.

Viktor Gyokeres :wink:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why does that fill me with dread............again?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Leak-gate?

If information relating to transfer targets is restricted to only 3 or 4 people, how comes, by Barber's own admission, there are still leaks?

Generally from people outside our own club, ie the other club and/or people connected to the player in question, be it their agent, family members or the bloke who cuts his hair.

There can also be the situation where an Albion member of staff simply sees a player at club premises, as happened when Joe Gomez visited Lancing in the Summer. Someone saw him there and the news reached NSC.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Leak-gate?

I guess it’s 3 or 4 people at our end but once we make an approach or contact then we lose control of who knows what.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Here you go:

All very worthy and most clubs would offer a similar explanation of the multi million pound formal process of recruitment, but in real life the process is more likely to be a random call from a trusted friend not heard of in a while that comes up with an available player that CH had nearly forgotten about, but due to an ongoing injury to 'whatshisface' this now sows a seed, a couple of calls and youtube highlites he suddenly and quite illogically becomes a prime target and leapfrogs those players with 8 months worth of collated details in the Academy filing cabinet.

TB or CH or both suddenly have a 'good feeling' about this player, he might be the answer and they offer a multi million pound deal and cross their fingers and hope beyond hope that he can find a bit of form and score some goals.

Did Barber tell you that bit ;)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That four people bit is interesting. Should be reasonably easy to identify a leak, should one occur.

He already stated that agents sometimes leak info as they are trying to get the best deal for their player (and themselves). Club have no control over that. Neither do they have any control over a selling club letting things slip.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He already stated that agents sometimes leak info as they are trying to get the best deal for their player (and themselves). Club have no control over that. Neither do they have any control over a selling club letting things slip.

Agree, but for balance clubs will leak information regarding their own players that they wish to offload before telling that player.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Paul, Chris, Tony and BG.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Leak-gate?

Might be only 3 or 4 our end, almost certainly a lot more the selling end, and then you have agents, family etc at the players end.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I wonder if that was released as a reaction to Dembele's agent appearing at Chelsea? Leaks regarding that 'transfer' are clearly coming from the agent, who is trying to drum up some alternatives. I'd be surprised if he hadn't been considered but equally surprised if he had been near the top of our shopping list.

With regards to the formulation of target lists surely the variables of availability, other clubs moves, players personal situations etc etc make those lists fluid at best?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
All very worthy and most clubs would offer a similar explanation of the multi million pound formal process of recruitment, but in real life the process is more likely to be a random call from a trusted friend not heard of in a while that comes up with an available player that CH had nearly forgotten about, but due to an ongoing injury to 'whatshisface' this now sows a seed, a couple of calls and youtube highlites he suddenly and quite illogically becomes a prime target and leapfrogs those players with 8 months worth of collated details in the Academy filing cabinet.

TB or CH or both suddenly have a 'good feeling' about this player, he might be the answer and they offer a multi million pound deal and cross their fingers and hope beyond hope that he can find a bit of form and score some goals.

Did Barber tell you that bit ;)

Less so here than at almost any other club, I imagine.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Why do communications like this fill me with dread? Lets be honest the failure to sign a forward for whatever reason in the summer was poor. We need to strike early this time round and i hope stuff like this isnt the beginning of the usual sound bites we get at window time.

Leave it late again and we will not survive i fear.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
4?
Maybe holding the total picture but there are always many more who hold pieces of information close to it.

Realistically:
Bloom + key Board members
Barber + secretary/accountants etc
Hughton + assistant + first team coaches
Winstanley + scouts + statisticians

Not that it matters relative to no deals done.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Less so here than at almost any other club, I imagine.

It was a little tongue in cheek but why would our policy be anything different to any other club, perhaps TB has his own formula but I doubt it is any more productive than just having a 'good feeling' once fishing in a similar recruitment pool than other mid table PL clubs, accepting his formulas seem to have delivered financial success, but hasn't every owner been financially successful ?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Here you go:

If this never stops, why are targets agreed so near to the transfer window opening, we clearly felt some of the players we went for in the summer were suitable, and I appreciate things change, but why couldn't some of those deals be agreed in October/November and not wait till January and run the risk of missing out?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
surely the strategy is
a) look out for a defender
b) see if he will come to the club
c) be told no, we dont pay enough
d) panic
e) try to find a striker no-one has heard of
e) buy someone that no one has heard of and then play him the last 10 minutes of a game as he is not defensive enough

and repeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here