Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Say what you like about Poyet but he could certainly spot a player

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I know he is a marmite person but he did seem to be able to see things in players. Granted that he had stephenson and burke helping with player recruitment in the amex era but there are many positives (and clearly well backed by Bloom too)

Ashley Barnes (loan then permanent)
Chris wood (loan)
Bridcutt (came on free but sold for loads)
Calde (legend)
Bruno (legend and cutting it in the prem)
Vokes (loan)
Buckley (granted a record signing but sold on for profit)
Ulloa (huge profit sell on and prem league winner)
And the one that got away...virgil van dijk where the recruitment team didnt agree with poyets view on the player's future value

I may even forgive him for Barndoor Billy, Dobbie and his view on Murray first time round

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
There were more than enough missed to make up for the hits though - and the loans didn’t exactly set the world alight down here.

Losing Murray for nothing, replacing him with CMS and then playing to the total opposite of his strengths says enough for me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I loved his time here as well. It was only when he left that I realised he was not my Lord and I became a Chrishna devotee.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
There were more than enough missed to make up for the hits though - and the loans didn’t exactly set the world alight down here.

Losing Murray for nothing, replacing him with CMS and then playing to the total opposite of his strengths says enough for me.

I think some of the murray issue was caused by stephenson wanting the transfer and wages budgets kept separate but do agree that cms wasnt used correctly and we seemed more interested in making a big statement signing

As for the loans though, i think both vokes and wood were seen to be quality players when with us so to say they didnt show is a bit harsh

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are we airbrushing out The Burker here, because it doesn't fit the narrative, or are they all Pre DB?

Stephens is definitely a Burker signing.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Are we airbrushing out The Burker here, because it doesn't fit the narrative, or are they all Pre DB?

All bar bruno and ulloa were pre burke.

Burke is the one i believe who didnt rate van dijk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Transformed the playing style and brought in a winning mentality. I really enjoyed his tenure even the antics on the touchline, the views on everything, the self promotion and linking himself to every vacancy, the loan signings and the cms mistake the poor handling of Vicente the heavy defeats at Liverpool and West Ham and his departure and comments.

Overall the required building block towards where we are now

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Transformed the playing style and brought in a winning mentality. I really enjoyed his tenure even the antics on the touchline, the views on everything, the self promotion and linking himself to every vacancy, the loan signings and the cms mistake the poor handling of Vicente the heavy defeats at Liverpool and West Ham and his departure and comments.

Overall the required building block towards where we are now

The only one of those i would challenge is vicente. I dont think we would have signed him without poyet and im not sure how anybody could or would have handled him better given the doubts about his mentality before he arrived with us

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All bar bruno and ulloa were pre burke.

Burke is the one i believe who didnt rate van dijk

I thought so re Ulloa just didn't want to get all titsy about it.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I think some of the murray issue was caused by stephenson wanting the transfer and wages budgets kept separate but do agree that cms wasnt used correctly and we seemed more interested in making a big statement signing

As for the loans though, i think both vokes and wood were seen to be quality players when with us so to say they didnt show is a bit harsh

Maybe, maybe not - but it’s a struggle to think that CMS didn’t command more wages than Murray was asking for so i’d take that with a pinch of salt.

Vokes scores 3 goals in 14 appearances (with 6 starts) so a little bit of history re-writing. Wood did fare better with 8 goals in 27 games. There wasn’t a lot of people clambering to sign either on permanents though - particularly Vokes.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Wasn’t Stephens a recommendation from Nathan Jones rather than someone Burke actually recruited? Sure Burke may have got him over the line but without that initial recommendation would he have even been aware.

el punal

Right man at the right time. Could he, if he had no toys to throw out of his pram, have taken us further? Hard to say. I liked Gus, and yes, he did have a knack of getting his man - maybe not always the right one. Think of the competition to sign Craig Mackail-Smith, we got him but not the most suitable fit with the system we played.

Now we're in the Premier League I do believe signing the right player is so much harder. Firstly, they cost a lot more. Secondly, we, as newcomers to the PL, have to prove we're not relegation fodder as was the perceived case last August. Now we have proved to be a resilient side (so far!) that perception has gone and prospective signings will look on us more favourably. I know it's all 'ifs and buts', and we were unlucky pre-season on the medical front, but I reckon we will be more fortunate this January with acquisitions. Let's hope so.

Would Gus have done a better job in this position? Maybe, with his personality and track record as a player. Would it have been a harmonious team? I doubt it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I thought so re Ulloa just didn't want to get all titsy about it.

We’d been tracking Leo for around 18 months before we signed him, had to wait for him to be eligible for a Spanish passport. Our interest pre dates Burke even if he signed during the Burke regime.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Poyet once said dicker was the only player who understood the style Poyet wanted to play.
Greer was a great signing.
El Abd was brilliant at following poyet’s instructions

BUT ........ lots of pluses and some negatives don’t mask the way Poyet behaved at the end. Good riddance

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is this totally rewriting history? Once again Poyet gets the plaudits for those that worked and the recruitment team the blame for those that didn't or that we didn't sign. VVD went to a club playing in the champions league, not the championship. No one at that time would have foreseen him being eventually sold for £75M! His management of Vicente was appalling. Coming to the end of his first year spouting off in the press that any decision for the second year was down to the player then at the last minute forcing him to stay, seemingly against his preference. He also resigned Seb Carole!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here