Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So...are Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane going to play like this at the World Cup?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They aren't, are they? You just know they aren't.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Probably not but it's not their fault.

For their clubs Sterling is playing for possibly the greatest manager of all time and Kane is playing for one of the best up and coming managers in the world.

For England they're managed by an FA yes man previously sacked by Middlesbrough in his only management job.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If England had creative players of the calibre of David Silva, De Bruyne and Eriksen then yes, I think Kane and Sterling would shine. Unfortunately we have Henderson, Dier, Lallana, Oxo, Wheelchair, Delph and other similar dullards.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Most weeks Kane and Sterling play for a team that is significantly better than the one they are playing against. They are also playing for teams that have a well practiced and defined style of play. Will either of these points be true in the summer?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
IMO - Kane is undoubtedly world class, Sterling is a good premier league player in an excellent team.

You can add Alli to those who never turn up, and again IMO it is debatable whether either him or Sterling warrant a place in the starting England team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We won’t do anything unless we play the same system as Spurs/City/Pool.

The team should be built around getting the ball to Kane as he is our one world class player.

We have the players to make the system work.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you are confusing moaning with just being realistic or on the balance of probability!

As demonstrated by KG the press ripped into Alf Ramsey for not playing Jimmy Greaves, when he recovered from injury, in 66. Lots of 'being realistic' then, too.

Oh why not, its been a while since we shined at a tournament, its about time

On the other hand, we won the world cup with arguably the greatest English striker dropped earlier in the tournament

We can hope. I prefer to look on the bright side, rather than being a miserabalist.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Any international team with Jordan Henderson and Eric Dier in central midfield is not going to be able to create much, even if Kane and Sterling are on form.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
For their clubs Sterling is playing for possibly the greatest manager of all time.

Have to laugh at this, Pep the chequebook manager wherever he's been. Shame on the PL & FA for allowing a country to sponsor a PL side with no rules applied to their FFP!

Result, Pl 21 W 20 D 1 L0

We have allowed our own football to be corrupted and ruined as many countries have, how long before we all get totally bored with these silly one sided games as in Scotland with Celtic, Germany with Bayern, France with PSG? Spain with the big two, Italy with Juve.

Never thought it could happen here, but as men high up stand idly by and allow it to happen, football in the UK is fast becoming uncompetitive, thank god they never got Van Djyk, but no doubt they are adding Sanchez and Fred to their star studded line up in January.

Last edited:

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Dele Alli is a top quality player. Agreed he has had a dip in form but is starting to get back in the groove now.

He will prove his worth at the WC.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Have to laugh at this, Pep the chequebook manager wherever he's been. Shame on the PL & FA for allowing a country to sponsor a PL side with no rules applied to their FFP!

We have allowed our own football to be corrupted and ruined as many countries have, how long before we all get totally bored with these silly one sided games as in Scotland with Celtic, Germany with Bayern, France with PSG? Spain with the big two, Italy with Juve.

Never thought it could happen here, but as men high up stand idly by and allow it to happen, football in the UK is fast becoming uncompetitive, thank god they never got Van Djyk, but no doubt they are adding Sanchez and Fred to their star studded line up in January.

City have been as rich for the past 10 years, never have they been so dominant.

United have spent more than them haven't they?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
City have been as rich for the past 10 years, never have they been so dominant.

United have spent more than them haven't they?

NO!

City have been taken over by a Middle East Royal family worth circa £1 Trillion in 2008, they had nothing 10 years ago.

Now I don't mind City winning titles and cups, but I do object to the unfairness of the uncontrolled throwing so much to get players, they have made most games in the PL non - events!

City fans may or may or may not like this, but eventually it will be seen for what it is, I expect a huge outcry from Sky etc when they realise their 'Golden Goose' has lost t's shine.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Just did some checking as I was curious and Pep has spent a lot of money but it's only at City that it's been what I'd call extravagant for the amount of time he's been in charge:

340m - Barca - 4 years
204m - Bayern - 3 years
457m - City - 1.5 years

Jose has thus far spent 349m in his 1.5 years at Utd as well, which is more than Pep spent in his entire time at Barca, and Jose also spent 353m during his 2nd stint at Chelsea. I'd be tempted to label Mourinho as the cheque book manager personally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here