Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Chivers

Bingo

Jul 27, 2014
Seaford
Sorry but that walk around the pitch at half time was just plain weird!

The bloke with the mike didn't ask him a single question and you sort of got the feeling we were the only fans who knew who he was.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The bloke with the mike didn't ask him a single question and you sort of got the feeling we were the only fans who knew who he was.

He played for them before football had been invented.....Hardly expect the entitled to know of him.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
He was carrying a bit more weight than usual.

Good to see him though. Solid player for us during one of our better periods in the late 80s / early 90s.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

He works for Chelsea in a few of roles, he does the away match commentary and match summarising on their (video?) web channel, he is also hospitality lounge host at Stamford Bridge. He also does the post match Q&A and podcasts in the Butchers Hook pub after home games. I think they know who he is.

He works at the Amex for most home games as the Hospitality Lounge host in the West Stand lounges, I'm not quite sure how he splits his time now with both teams being in the EPL, I think he prefers to to do the Amex so that would take priority if there is a clash.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I understand there's an interview with him in a forthcoming issue of Backpass magazine. He made his debut for Chelsea in their relegation season, when they went down just as we came up, which was why we never played them in the old first division.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He was carrying a bit more weight than usual.

Good to see him though. Solid player for us during one of our better periods in the late 80s / early 90s.

I've liked Chiv ever since he offered to buy me and my mate a drink on a flight up to Manchester to see us play Manure in an FA Cup game. Realised afterwards why he did it, in those days BA didn't charge for drinks. :laugh:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I used to have an irrational hatred of Gary Chivers.

No idea why.

I didn't hate him, but felt he was a pretty poor footballer. I know this is very much a minority opinion!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I thought he was a very good footballer. But I bow to your greater footballing insight.

My knowledge is mere opinion, so no need to bow to me! :lol:

I also felt Stuart Storer was shocking in his first 18 months with us, before he suddenly became brilliant fro the whole of 96-97. People don't like that opinion either!

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
He works for Chelsea in a few of roles, he does the away match commentary and match summarising on their (video?) web channel, he is also hospitality lounge host at Stamford Bridge. He also does the post match Q&A and podcasts in the Butchers Hook pub after home games. I think they know who he is.

He works at the Amex for most home games as the Hospitality Lounge host in the West Stand lounges, I'm not quite sure how he splits his time now with both teams being in the EPL, I think he prefers to to do the Amex so that would take priority if there is a clash.

This is all true except the last bit...I met him at an Amex ‘do’ last season and he said he prefers Chelsea hosting as they pay ‘substantially more’ than we do!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My knowledge is mere opinion, so no need to bow to me! :lol:

I also felt Stuart Storer was shocking in his first 18 months with us, before he suddenly became brilliant fro the whole of 96-97. People don't like that opinion either!

In the big picture of ALL those who played for the Albion from 1983 to 2011, let's call it the wilderness years, Chivers and Storer might be in the top 25%?

We saw some shocking to poor players in that time, in every position.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
In the big picture of ALL those who played for the Albion from 1983 to 2011, let's call it the wilderness years, Chivers and Storer might be in the top 25%?

Storer - eventually - without doubt on many levels of skill, determination, grit and passion.
I Just can't get on with Chiv though, and he wouldn't get anywhere near my top 10 of defenders (and maybe top 20 in the period of 83-11 if I had 5 mins to think about it!)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This is all true except the last bit...I met him at an Amex ‘do’ last season and he said he prefers Chelsea hosting as they pay ‘substantially more’ than we do!

As he said to us at the beginning of this season, he gets paid somewhat rather better at the Amex now. Which is why might be more likely to see him at the Amex than West London this season when both sides have a home game on the same day, in particular on a Saturday.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
As he said to us at the beginning of this season, he gets paid somewhat rather better at the Amex now. Which is why might be more likely to see him at the Amex than West London this season when both sides have a home game on the same day, in particular on a Saturday.

Great! He is very good at what he does and is very engaging, especially with some of the ‘stories’ he has. Glad to hear we are paying better now we are in the Prem as well.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Gary chivers was alright. Pretty solid, unflashy, bit slow.
I always thought it was a shame Nicky Bissett retired early. He looked a real talent.

Bingo

Jul 27, 2014
Seaford
He was class. Victim of a reckless foul?

Shocking two footed lunge at Swindon by Duncan Shearer. He only got a yellow but was subbed a few minutes after because he was so distressed.
Seem to remember 1st division Ipswich were keen on signing Bissett at the time - Such a shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here