Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is a new winger as much of a priority as a striker?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Another game where Izquierdo offered nothing. He certainly has potential but from what I've seen so far he isn't worth a starting place.

Knockaert as we all know is unbelievably talented but has struggled for form this season and was left out of the squad completely for Huddersfield, which makes you wonder if there are disciplinary issues.

March started the season superbly but has lost form since Hughton took him out the team to give Izquierdo minutes.

Izzy Brown has looked ok in the couple of appearances he has made on the left but that's not his natural position.

Murphy and Skalak haven't had a sniff and I strongly doubt the latter is good enough.

Unless Izquierdo comes good or March and Knockaert rediscover their form I fear it will be irrelevant if we sign a striker in January as they won't have the service.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The lack of service has more to do with the amount of time spent defending rather than attacking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our wingers will all look considerably better when they've got some assists under their belt.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
None of our wingers are currently offering much when in the final 3rd though.
That's because when our wingers get to the final third, there's no one to cross to. Against Watford, March was getting crosses in but there was only Hemed and Knockhaert in the box.

Doesn't matter how good the final ball is if there's no one there to capitalise.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
it doesnt matter who you have playing as winger! If they spend most of the match in their own half, then you are not using them to their full capabilty.! Izquirdos main strength is attack but at the moment he is doing more defensive work in the hope of occasional attacking forays. For that to have a chance of working then you need a quality, quick, strong striker, which we do not have at the moment.! Everyone knows that, including the frustrated wingers we have in Knockaert,and March aswell as the full backs who have all put in good crosses and balls, which have been at times excellent this season. We havnt yet seen the rewards of this play but hopefully with the continued squad improvement this will be sooner rather than later! Our midfield has done pretty well this season and dont think they deserve the criticism, they can and will do even better!

scooter1

How soon is now?
Only March is playing on his natural side to get first time crosses in, and even he started on the opposite wing today. Both AK and Jose have to stop, check and cut back into to their natural foot. All 3 are too one footed(yeah, I had to re-read that as well). We need some pace in the middle of the park(midfield and up front), otherwise we are banking on a formula that isn't overly successful - crosses not coming in quickly enough, no need for through balls as we're not quick enough to beat the defenders and not enough shots.
It's great that we're playing in the PL and we knew it would be a struggle, but we are short on goals, and if anything a little too nervous to take a few more chance at the opposition end. 4 points from the next two games would make a big difference

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To be fair to Jose, he never gets the ball in good positions. I've been a big critic over the fact Bong never passes to him and now Suttner seems to be going down the same route!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
He could try showing for the ball, which he didn't do today, and taking a man on, which he didn't do today.

I thought he did well today. I was sitting in the home end in the West and Jose got beyond Victor Moses multiple times in the first half. He just had no one to give the ball to. Hemed’s lack of pace and being surrounded by 3 Chelsea defenders were the problem.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Need a quality midfielder as well as a pacey striker....Stephens has his good points but we need more creativity and power in the middle.Wingers are more like defenders and clearly we have issues on our tactics away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here