Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This season, as enjoyable as the last two?

Are you enjoying this season as much as the last couple, so far?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am loving this season and am currently enjoying it more than the last couple. I am hoping that, given how we are doing, that staying up is going to be less stressful than worrying about getting promoted. I always had that fear that we’d possibly blow it so it made almost every game a must win or draw game.

We have Chelsea today and I am buzzing hoping that we can sneak at least a point from one of the big six for the first time. We are expected to lose so disappointing though it may be we have the chance to go again on New Year’s Day. Not every game is important as it was last season and for that reason I am more relaxed about it than I was at this time last year.

Anyone else loving this season as much as last?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, I agree. It is certainly less stressful than having to win every week.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Really enjoying this season. Lost a tiny bit of my mojo after the defeat to Huddersfield but otherwise it has been fantastic.
So many positives:
-Bruno more than coping with the PL.
-Pascal Gross - just sheer quality. Struggling to think of a more accomplished midfielder I have seen play for the Albion in the 38 years of supporting.
- Maty Ryan proving the early critics totally wrong. I am looking forward to the World Cup purely to see our keeper playing in it.
- The Dunk and Duffy show.

- but I think my most favourite highlight has to be Goldson returning to the side and putting in a MOM performance.

Now how about 3 points at Stamford Bridge today?!?!!!!.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's just another season, can't get too excited about sneaking a point anywhere tbh. Why not win today.

Err I did say “ sneak a point at least” winning would be fantastic but I am not expecting it.

Why not look on the bright side in your cynical world. At least you get to see the Albion on MOTD every game :wink:

Last edited:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Loving this season so far. I too feel more relaxed about it all and firmly believe that apart from the top six, we’re just as good as anybody else in this league. If we can keep the performance levels up then I’m confident of staying up.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Every season (apart from Sami Hyppia being in charge) since the last at the Withdean - except from a certain play-off semi-final against the scum.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, really enjoying it. Of course most matches are tougher and we can't be as expansive as previously - but we are getting results against very good teams. We are seeing some of our heroes from previous seasons up their games and we've brought in good players as well

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was talking to some Watford fans on Sat who asked me exactly this. There's lots of things I miss about the Championship and last season; Tuesday night games, regular wins, Fulham away, always beating Leeds at home, being able to plan away games in advance. And I wish you hadn't added that last option Icy because last season is my favourite ever. BUT - I'm enjoying this season a lot more than I thought I would. 30,000 at home, 3000 away and being competitive against some of the best teams and players in the world. Being on MOTD every week, And the atmosphere at the Amex is even better than last season IMO. Immense noise again on Saturday.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Enjoying it but in my view far more intense given the very thin margins over winning and the punishment you now get for mistakes that last season would have not mattered.

Away games a good atmosphere and as stated home games better atmosphere as well, however, expectation at home seems too high, certainly around where I sit. We are playing good teams week in week out and it is a lot tougher.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Very much enjoying this season the step some of our players have made has been a joy to watch remember some of them were playing league 2 not that long ago a couple have come from the homegrown development squad we are playing the best teams in the country facing top internationals week in week out, we are looking like we belong here

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Way more enjoyable than last season, I've been mightily impressed with our squad as we have outplayed some very good sides. We are clearly not as dangerous a goal threat as most sides but with the right additions to the squad should begin to win more of the games that we dominate play like Everton, Man Utd & Burnley

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
The wins feel SO much bigger this season, and I find myself going completely nuts whenever we score. Granted, the wins the tail end of last season felt similar, but I think this season feels a bit more special. A lot to miss about the Championship, and it's not the end of the world if we go down. But I am really enjoying this season.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I seem to be in a minority but I am not finding the season very enjoyable. I accept that promotion was necessary from the club's point of view and I loved the journey here. But as far as the quality of football, I think the entertainment factor is mostly pretty dire. The top six clubs (and I don't include Burnley in that equation) are so far removed from the rest in spending power and the strength of their squads, that comparison is futile. This has led to mostly negative and largely boring games against Newcastle, Everton, Southampton, Stoke, Palace and now Watford. Each of these games was slowed down by the opposing team, time-wasting at throw-ins, goal-kicks etc and were characterised by fearful and non-expansive football. I believe the huge reward for being in the premier league instead of the championship, and the fear of dropping out of it, has ensured this kind of poor approach. Personally I believe that as things stand, being competitive in the championship leads to more entertainment.

However, as a lifelong fan, I am delighted with our present position and very much hope that we continue to perform as well as we are currently and can strengthen our squad in the next few weeks.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's less stressful NOT being involved in a multi team battle at the top of a table. Relentlessly winning most games was a must last season, to even be involved for the top 2 prizes. But the many highs last season were unbelievable, possibly never to be repeated.

2016/17 (even before the glorious Easter run in), was far more enjoyable than 2015/16. We were better, imperious at times, with Murray, Duffy and Sidwell taking us up a level.

This season has had loads of highs and lows, but the five vital wins have made it overall quietly enjoyable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm loving the noticeable rise in quality, esp from those players deemed not good enough last year.
Seriously enjoying the knee-JERKers having to 'eat it's pretty much every game.
But really getting titsy with some of the postmatch moaning on here, even after a win

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Absolutely loving this season by adjusting my expectations accordingly, every win, every point is precious. Playing some of the best teams in the world and not being embarrassed, seeing players who worked so hard to get here enjoying their reward as well as TB PB MP and CH who made the dream come true and our brilliant fans who I hope are enjoying every moment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here