Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Christmas dinner

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Interested in creative minds here, so if you're having turkey for dinner there is no need to reply.

What have you got lined up as an alternative?

I'm on pork this year (steady) because I love crackling. NO SPROUTS!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bone-in beef fore-rib.......will cover in olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs today and marinate overnight, then roast tomorrow over a load of chopped veg that will form the gravy base. Got a joint big enough to make sure there is a load left over for steak sarnies (cut a slice and fry very quickly) and a then a chunky slow-cooked chilli con carne. Crispy roast potatoes, roasted parsnips and carrots, yorkshires and pigs in blankets and a nice bottle of pinot noir.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
....or a Pot Noodle

article-2518734-19DEB71100000578-429_634x368.jpg

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bone-in beef fore-rib.......will cover in olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs today and marinate overnight, then roast tomorrow over a load of chopped veg that will form the gravy base. Got a joint big enough to make sure there is a load left over for steak sarnies (cut a slice and fry very quickly) and a then a chunky slow-cooked chilli con carne. Crispy roast potatoes, roasted parsnips and carrots, yorkshires and pigs in blankets and a nice bottle of pinot noir.

Now that reads delish!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Goose in cider gravy

Roast potatoes, spicy red cabbage, parsnips in madras curry paste, SPROUTS (fried with shallots and bacon in butter) and boiled carrots 'cos the kids love them. Bottle of Atkins Farm Shiraz from Waitrose. Job done.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Goose in cider gravy

Roast potatoes, spicy red cabbage, parsnips in madras curry paste, SPROUTS (fried with shallots and bacon in butter) and boiled carrots 'cos the kids love them. Bottle of Atkins Farm Shiraz from Waitrose. Job done.

I did a goose about 10 years ago, first time ever. Two things struck me.

1. There is hardly any meat on them
2. I overcooked it and there was even less meat on it.

I had 5 people over and it really was a plate of scrooge dinner once I'd finished with cooking it!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I did a goose about 10 years ago, first time ever. Two things struck me.

1. There is hardly any meat on them
2. I overcooked it and there was even less meat on it.

I had 5 people over and it really was a plate of scrooge dinner once I'd finished with cooking it!

Don't overcook it then :lolol:

Got a decent value large one from Wickendens in Hangleton. There's me, the wife and two kids to feed and it usually does Xmas dinner and a stew on Boxing Day. I do think I might go down the @dazzer6666 route next year, however!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Interested in creative minds here, so if you're having turkey for dinner there is no need to reply.

What have you got lined up as an alternative?

I'm on pork this year (steady) because I love crackling. NO SPROUTS!

I have posted it before the best christmas dinner I cooked, and it makes me want to be back in SA.- you can be VERY creative with a kettle braai/barbecue..

I did a whole duck on my Weber with about 10-12 coals only to slow cook it, and a dish of water underneath to steam it/keep it moist. Stuffed cherries up its arse and put a few slices in and glazed with honey. Managed to capture some of the fat with honey and cherry to go on the roasters in the oven which was on the shelf below the turkey an below the hob with a big gammon boiling

Parnsips were tricky to get

I doubt you can get them easily in the UK if at all but Gem Squash is a wonderful veg with christmas dinner, if you ever see them try them. My favourite squash by far except kia-ora.
chopped in half and cooked with butter and some salt, just delicious, scooped out like a guacamole or baked potato. I would be delighted to replace sprouts, cabbage, or swede (or all of them) with a gem squash. About the size of an apple
http://www.cooksister.com/2010/10/gem-squash-central-finding-them-growing-them-and-eating-them.html

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Kids so sick of roast dinners we had a mutiny. So festive starters but main will be beef stroganoff for some and fillet steak chips mushrooms sauce for others. Seems odd but everyone seemed happy to have a change.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Kids so sick of roast dinners we had a mutiny. So festive starters but main will be beef stroganoff for some and fillet steak chips mushrooms sauce for others. Seems odd but everyone seemed happy to have a change.

To be honest this year being back in the UK I would prefer a nice midlands balti, a prawn jalfrezzi or bhuna, but I dont get to decide

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'm not going to be bullied. Turkey and sprouts for me. If you don't know how to make turkey both delicious and mouthwatering moist, then more fool you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here