Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goal Kicks

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
At one point yesterday Gomes took a goal kick that didn't clear the area before a Watford player touched it, the refs decision, which is correct by the rules, is to retake the goal kick. Going by the same rules a goal kick has to clear the area before an outfield player can touch it, if it doesn't surely an offence has been committed and I think it should be a free kick to the opposing side. I have seen in the past a player deliberately touch the ball before it goes out the box because of a mistake. Does anyone else agree or is it just me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ball isn’t in play until it leaves the box, therefore can’t give a free kick. Could yellow card the kick taker or recipient if it’s done deliberately

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ball isn’t in play until it leaves the box, therefore can’t give a free kick. Could yellow card the kick taker or recipient if it’s done deliberately

Does kicking the ball not put it into play so I agree with the OP it should be an indirect free kick to the attacking side. I am sure that if Ryan made a mistake Bruno would rush into the box to get the ball thus giving him a 2nd chance to take it. Which as the OP says is wrong. Could this not be covered by the ungentlemanly conduct rule already in force?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Does kicking the ball not put it into play so I agree with the OP it should be an indirect free kick to the attacking side. I am sure that if Ryan made a mistake Bruno would rush into the box to get the ball thus giving him a 2nd chance to take it. Which as the OP says is wrong. Could this not be covered by the ungentlemanly conduct rule already in force?

No, as Timbha says - it's not in play until it leaves the box. But cards can be given for ungentlemanly conduct at any time, I believe.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No, as Timbha says - it's not in play until it leaves the box. But cards can be given for ungentlemanly conduct at any time, I believe.

So a slight adjustrment to the rules to put it into play when the kick is taken as per the refs instructions. Also how can the ref blow time when the ball has gone out of play for a goal kick or corner as per v Watford.yesterday. The first half it also happened when it went out of play for a thrown in I think.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It would be a good tactic to waste time so defending team should be penalised imo.

In theory, if the keeper / outfield player kept doing it, the ref could book them for persistently infringing the Laws of the game. In practice that wouldn't happen, just as an attacking player caught offside multiple times wouldn't be booked. Then again, if the ref did think the goalie was deliberately wasting time, he could caution the keeper for unsporting behaviour anyway. Either way, there are many other - more effective - methods of killing time.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
So a slight adjustrment to the rules to put it into play when the kick is taken as per the refs instructions. Also how can the ref blow time when the ball has gone out of play for a goal kick or corner as per v Watford.yesterday.

Why? The ref can already penalise time-wasting. And if time is up, the ball doesn't have to be in play for the ref to blow time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why? The ref can already penalise time-wasting. And if time is up, the ball doesn't have to be in play for the ref to blow time.

Why should a ref be able to call time when the ball is not in play but not give a free kick for an infringement of the rules? My brother told me that against Spurs the ref put his whistle to his mouth to blow time but didnt blow it and as soon as the shot went over the bar he blew time.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Why should a ref be able to call time when the ball is not in play but not give a free kick for an infringement of the rules? My brother told me that against Spurs the ref put his whistle to his mouth to blow time but didnt blow it and as soon as the shot went over the bar he blew time.

Because the goal-kick problem is almost never a problem? I've never seen it happen. And because it can already be punished. And because time is time, and it wouldn't make sense to extend the game?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because the goal-kick problem is almost never a problem? I've never seen it happen. And because it can already be punished. And because time is time, and it wouldn't make sense to extend the game?

I would suggest that they should restart the game with either a goal kick or throw in and then blow time as soon as it is taken. before it develops that would keep it in line with the point you make about a goal kick not being in play until it is out of the area.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But isn't the point that the OP is suggesting a change of the law so that could include when the ball is deemed to be in play!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
But isn't the point that the OP is suggesting a change of the law so that could include when the ball is deemed to be in play!

Perhaps, but doesn’t that open the door to an attacker intercepting the ball before it leaves the box?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps, but doesn’t that open the door to an attacker intercepting the ball before it leaves the box?

If so it is a free kick to the defending side from the edge of the penalty box instead of as goal kick on the 6yd line. Either way the offending side is punished with an indirect free kick awarded against them.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
From where I was sitting, the Watford one looked a deliberate ploy? Just to take the sting out of the game for a minute or two?

I think the law should be changed and give a corner f that happens, wouldn't see many of them then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here