Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andre Gray was dreadful yesterday

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I found myself struggling to think of a worse opposition striking performance seen at the Amex than Andre Gray's for Watford yesterday. He used to be quite decent, although was always one to miss a hatful even when scoring (did exactly that when he scored a couple for Brentford here).

Did he even have a shot yesterday? Strolled around sulkily, getting the hump with his team mates and the officials, he can barely have broken into a sweat after that effort. It sounded to me like the Watford fans cheered when he was subbed.

I'd go so far as to say it was up there with Leon Best in terms of generally not appearing to give a shit, and I don't think we can get any more damning than that. What's happened to him??

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I spoke to a Watford fan after the game and asked the same question, 'What's happened to him?' He said he's been useless but it wasn't altogether his fault as Silva sets the team up in a way that doesn't suit him at all. He's not the tallest player and as we saw yesterday, the service to him was dire, mostly comprising of long balls hoofed up in his general direction. Dunk and Goldson were lapping just about everything up. It isn't a wonder he's struggling.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I couldn't make the game yesterday but I'm pleased to hear this. I've never rated him. Even at his "best" he misses so many chances and is, lest we forget, a horrible bigot. Average championship player which is now what £18m seems to get you.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Even at his "best" he misses so many chances

There's the dilemma with a player like him (or at least, the old him). Do you prefer a player who makes himself 10 chances but misses nine of them, or the player who is more clinically accurate but doesn't tend to be in the right place at the right time? Ashley Barnes was one of the former, I think. Always going to score you goals, but will miss a fair few too.

Agree that Gray has tended to come across as a bit of a tosser, so I can't say his relative slump disappoints me.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Luckily for us, he started and not that 'unit' that came on up front in the late stages, he gave Dunk more problems in a few mins than Gray had done in 70.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm guessing that Dyche made the decision to get rid for reasons that have been pointed out already.
He reminds me of one of the players that'll be a nomadic player, not really settling.
My Watford neighbour can't decide who's the worse between him and Deeney :lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I'm guessing that Dyche made the decision to get rid for reasons that have been pointed out already.
He reminds me of one of the players that'll be a nomadic player, not really settling.
My Watford neighbour can't decide who's the worse between him and Deeney :lolol:

Deeney was awful yesterday, may as well have not played.

theboybilly

Luckily for us, he started and not that 'unit' that came on up front in the late stages, he gave Dunk more problems in a few mins than Gray had done in 70.

Okaka...a big lump indeed. I made a point of watching him and he did very little other than to try and get under Dunk's skin. Our man was unphased and the game largely passed the Watford man by. He offered nothing. I was surprised especially as the Watford fans seemed so pleased he was brought on

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Haha normally this has to be written the other way round but:-

'The other team is allowed to play too'.

Was Gray useless or was he completely dominated by Dunk and to a lesser extent Goldson?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree he was useless but I would still have kept him on as that type of player is always likely to produce a moment of magic.

Possibly not ‘always’.......he’s having a bit of a stinker of a season so far

92d8c453cdf8182973583ff94167c2c1.jpg

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Okaka...a big lump indeed. I made a point of watching him and he did very little other than to try and get under Dunk's skin. Our man was unphased and the game largely passed the Watford man by. He offered nothing. I was surprised especially as the Watford fans seemed so pleased he was brought on

I think it was the Watford fans cheering that Gray was being taken off rather than the other way around.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Perhaps I’m reading too much in to it, or trying to find a story but I don’t think he’s been the same player since social media dug up all those heinous tweets he published quite some time before.

Seems a shadow of the player he was. To our fortune yesterday at least.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I found myself struggling to think of a worse opposition striking performance seen at the Amex than Andre Gray's for Watford yesterday. He used to be quite decent, although was always one to miss a hatful even when scoring (did exactly that when he scored a couple for Brentford here).

Did he even have a shot yesterday? Strolled around sulkily, getting the hump with his team mates and the officials, he can barely have broken into a sweat after that effort. It sounded to me like the Watford fans cheered when he was subbed.

I'd go so far as to say it was up there with Leon Best in terms of generally not appearing to give a shit, and I don't think we can get any more damning than that. What's happened to him??

He was Akpom/Obika-esque, but cost the best part of £20m.

Savvy business by Dyche yet again!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
4rm sunday league deansfield young boys to the premier league, against all odds,we did what no1 could dreamed of..not even us i dnt think!! @Goldson18 im proud of you beyond belief, cum through more than i can imagine and now we here! MOM on debut spks for itself love you bro❤️

Andre Gray's tweet to Conner goldson after the game yesterday.

Absolute class.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
4rm sunday league deansfield young boys to the premier league, against all odds,we did what no1 could dreamed of..not even us i dnt think!! @Goldson18 im proud of you beyond belief, cum through more than i can imagine and now we here! MOM on debut spks for itself love you bro❤️

Absolute class.

Nice touch to post this. Shows he has not forgotten his roots in his millionaire lifestyle.:thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Absolute class.

Fair play to him for that......classy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here