Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maty Ryan’s footballing skills

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apart from making fabulous reflex saves pretty well every game isn’t a great to have a goalkeeper able to control a backpass without panicking. He is easily the best, at this, we have had even better than Casper.

For years I have been very nervous when players bear down on our keeper when he has to use his feet. Maty looks comfortable and does not panic as he sprays passes, nearly always to an Albion player.

He is on track to become our best ever keeper, shame he’s too short :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Apart from making fabulous reflex saves pretty well every game isn’t a great to have a goalkeeper able to control a backpass without panicking. He is easily the best, at this, we have had, even better than Casper.

For years I have been very nervous when players bear down on our keeper when he has to use his feet. Maty looks comfortable and does not panic as he sprays passes, nearly always to an Albion player.

But that's why he's so quick with his feet. It's because his brain is very close to his feet :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I thought he did very well today, very commanding when it came to claiming the ball from crosses/corners etc..., made a good reflex save from a narrow angle in the first half and as you say looked very calm and comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Shame he's too short to make a decent career for himself, really.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought he did very well today, very commanding when it came to claiming the ball from crosses/corners etc..., made a good reflex save from a narrow angle in the first half and as you say looked very calm and comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Haha Frutos is an early leaver!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He's quick over three quarters of a pitch - must time it tonight on MOTD how long it take him to join the celebration after the goal, must have been under 10 seconds

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Haha Frutos is an early leaver!!

I certainly am not - this was probably my only home game this season, so I wasn't missing a second of it.

Yes, he got away with one at the end but that shouldn't detract from a bloody good overall performance.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What an absolute mess that club is

Amusing that the manager who was doing well there, but wasn’t high profile enough, now has Derby third and looking for auto promotion, whilst Birmingham prop up the table.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Amusing that the manager who was doing well there, but wasn’t high profile enough, now has Derby third and looking for auto promotion, whilst Birmingham prop up the table.

High profile is more important than capable.

el punal

As in, shame he's too short to play for a Premier League club, or, an international player going to the World Cup finals, or having played for a top Spanish side? :shrug:

(It's Sunday morning and I still haven't woken up so if your comment was a wind up please forgive me!)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Completely comfortable with both feet too......

As usual (it’s obviously been a while) he sprinted 100 yards to jump on top of the celebratory pile-up in the NW corner after we scored. Love it [emoji4] Lucky he’s so tiny and doesn’t squash anyone.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As in, shame he's too short to play for a Premier League club, or, an international player going to the World Cup finals, or having played for a top Spanish side? :shrug:

(It's Sunday morning and I still haven't woken up so if your comment was a wind up please forgive me!)

It was, and I do!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Apart from dropping a cross and nearly costing us the game in the last minute he did well.

And I'm sure the general opinion on here would lay all the blame at his doorstep for us drawing the game if he had.

Reminds me of the villa game, where Baldock missed a chance I could have buried to make it 2-0 yet Stockdale took all the criticism.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apart from dropping a cross and nearly costing us the game in the last minute he did well.

But he didn’t cost us the game.

D

Deleted member 2719

Apart from making fabulous reflex saves pretty well every game isn’t a great to have a goalkeeper able to control a backpass without panicking. He is easily the best, at this, we have had even better than Casper.

I agree with that but he has some great keepers to pass, the only thing I feel he needs to work on is commanding his area better.
He needs to stay with us for at least 5 seasons then he might even make the wall!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree with that but he has some great keepers to pass, the only thing I feel he needs to work on is commanding his area better.
He needs to stay with us for at least 5 seasons then he might even make the wall!

Not that he'll be able to see over it!!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not that he'll be able to see over it!!

We were at the opposite end at the Spurs game and when spurs had a free kick just outside the penalty area, once the wall lined up you really couldn’t see Ryan :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here