Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Propper and Stephens

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Terrific today.

Worked really hard, kept the ball, broke up play. Every game they get a little better at instinctively knowing where each other are.

All together now Oy ee Oy....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We could do with Pröpper playing a bit higher up the pitch, he could add some goals to the team from midfield. The man oozes quality, his partnership with Stephens is fantastic and the pair of them are more than capable of playing at this level.

Only the wingers and strikes are weaknesses for us at the moment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they work well but also an annoying weakness - they dont get forward enough, and dont create enough through the middle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The main problem is that they're not giving us goals from midfield. I do realise, though, that we're still finding our way at this level, and that rampaging forward isn't high on their agenda - or in the brief they get from the manager. If they continue to keep a reasonable grip on midfield most of the time in most of the games, that'll more than do for now.
I do sometimes wonder why Gross and Propper don't change places occasionally. I'd rather like to see that tried - but then again, it's a case of 'What do I know?' I'm sure CH will have thought about it and will have a damn good reason for keeping it like it is.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
they work well but also an annoying weakness - they dont get forward enough, and dont create enough through the middle.

I really struggle to understand this sort of comment. Propper has scored regularly throughout his career, including for the Dutch national side. CH uses him deeper. Still a great signing. Or do people think we should have signed pogba instead ��

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I really struggle to understand this sort of comment. Propper has scored regularly throughout his career, including for the Dutch national side. CH uses him deeper. Still a great signing. Or do people think we should have signed pogba instead ��

Think you've jumped the gun @beorhthelm as he's not said why they don't get forward enough or blamed the individuals - they probably are playing to very strict tactical instructions and to be fair to them they're incredibly disciplined. Thought second half we did collectively get forward more and of course it paid off, but would like to see CH give them a bit more free rein as Propper can be very dangerous around the box as you've said.

All that aside, we won and should have had more so CH may well feel entirely justified and I'm not going to argue with that.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Think you've jumped the gun @beorhthelm as he's not said why they don't get forward enough or blamed the individuals - they probably are playing to very strict tactical instructions and to be fair to them they're incredibly disciplined. Thought second half we did collectively get forward more and of course it paid off, but would like to see CH give them a bit more free rein as Propper can be very dangerous around the box as you've said.

All that aside, we won and should have had more so CH may well feel entirely justified and I'm not going to argue with that.

This in spades. There were four occasions I counted yesterday when we were counter attacking and either Propper or Stephens had shifted the ball wide on the counter, yet their midfield partner stayed still next to them. This clearly has to be tactical.

Unfortunately for us, the tactical implications are that we don’t get enough men in the box at times and, as a result, we’ve struggled to score enough goals this season. But that’s an issue for CH, not really something to blame on our midfield pair whose consistency of action is enough to prove it’s a tactical instruction.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We could do with Pröpper playing a bit higher up the pitch, he could add some goals to the team from midfield. The man oozes quality, his partnership with Stephens is fantastic and the pair of them are more than capable of playing at this level.

Only the wingers and strikes are weaknesses for us at the moment.

What a mad year. Last January we were regularly discussing which of our 5 wingers would get game time and easily one of our strengths

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
They both played well yesterday, it's shame that under Hughton's regime we are not seeing the best of Pröpper, needs must. :xmas:

rinswun

Sep 28, 2010
My biggest issue with Propper is that he hardly ever moves with the ball. There are so many opportunity for him to drive into space and then give an incisive pass but he's more like a netball player, has to stand still when he receives it and then pass it.

I can clearly recall two moments when he has got it and moved and one created a goal (against Stoke) and the other created a good chance (late on yesterday for Hemed then Knockaert).

It must be a tactical thing but he seems to have so much more to offer.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I agree they are getting better but I would like to see them both have a couple of shots on target per game it will bring the defenders to them and open up space for others.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I think the getting forward has to be tactical. Especially considering what we know propper can do when playing further forward with Holland.
As for creating through the middle, I think that's due to lack of options through the middle! We don't get in behind defences enough at the moment which is frustrating. Hopefully will change in the January transfer window!!

Fwiw, I thought they played very well yesterday. Broke up play countless times, won second balls, and kept the ball very well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I like both and think that they are the engine room of our team and our results depend largely on what they can achieve. Obviously they are playing to the instructions of the manager hence do not venture forward as much as many would like but each game I am willing Propper tos score. It will happen I have no doubt but it must be remembered that CH has a very defensive attitude towards every game working on the principal that if you keep a clean sheet you do not lose and who can argue with that philosophy. in our position.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Makings of a great Christmas song.

“Uncle Tony last splashed out
On a midfield of Propper and Stephens”

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I think the getting forward has to be tactical. Especially considering what we know propper can do when playing further forward with Holland.
As for creating through the middle, I think that's due to lack of options through the middle! We don't get in behind defences enough at the moment which is frustrating. Hopefully will change in the January transfer window!!

Fwiw, I thought they played very well yesterday. Broke up play countless times, won second balls, and kept the ball very well.

This. When we get a speed merchant up front the opposition defenders will naturally sit deeper to cover his pace, in turn their DM will sit deeper allowing our whole team to play higher up the pitch - Propper then becomes within striking range.The better/ quicker the striker we get the more Propper, plus other's offensive play will shine.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
This. When we get a speed merchant up front the opposition defenders will naturally sit deeper to cover his pace, in turn their DM will sit deeper allowing our whole team to play higher up the pitch - Propper then becomes within striking range.The better/ quicker the striker we get the more Propper, plus other's offensive play will shine.

Exactly. Exciting to think what a difference a speed merchant or two could make to the second half of the season. I was a bit disappointed not to see baldock in the second half, just to see the difference a different type of forward might have made to our attack. Especially at 0-0 when it seemed we might never score again!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Stephens tends to be fairly consistent, but to my eyes, always has one or two absolutely calamitous passes per game in him, inevitably creating a chance for the opposition. Yesterday, I can't think of that happening once, which was very positive. Also thought Propper had a really excellent second half in particular. He's not the sort of player who's going to dazzle you with any special tricks or skills, but his eye for a pass is superb at times, and he was quietly very effective indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here