Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hemed - Marmite player

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I was so frustrated with Hemed’s performance in the box today. I don’t doubt that he ‘works his socks off’ but he’s there to score goals and when given the opportunity to do so he repeatedly fluffs his lines.

I can see that there are plenty of posters who think he’s more than worth the shirt but I have to say I think he’s not nearly good enough for this league. Murray isn’t much better but he holds the ball better and he has a more mature (cynical?) approach that gets us goals from time to time. I think Hemed is a lovely guy and has been a great servant to the club but maybe it’s time to move him on.

Retiring to bunker.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
It’s easy to forget that it’s a difficult role being the only outlet up top who is constantly out numbered by the opposition. He works hard and has proved he can find the net. I guess the question is would somebody else be able to do it better.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
All I Know is we looked a far bigger threat today with him in the team than we have for a long time. Also who was up front for our last home win this season?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The thing is, he lacks the quality to score goals consistently at this level and he's proven that. He needs the whole work to be done for him and that's just not good enough. But what he's also proven is that he gives everything and there's no lack of hard work and determination to succeed. I would much prefer a player lacking quality but with the right intentions than a Darren Bent who was clearly quality but couldn't have cared less about the club.

I was saying during the game that today felt a little bit like when we were a middling League 1 club at Withdean under Dean Wilkins. The players were very close to being very good, but just slightly short. A lot of those players from that team aren't playing at a decent standard anymore because they're just not up to the standard. This Brighton team, however, is competing in the Premier League. Totally different, and the players who aren't cutting it (Bong, Hemed...) are still good players, they're just not up the standard of the highest tier of English football and there's absolutely no shame in that at all.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The thing is, he lacks the quality to score goals consistently at this level and he's proven that. He needs the whole work to be done for him and that's just not good enough. But what he's also proven is that he gives everything and there's no lack of hard work and determination to succeed. I would much prefer a player lacking quality but with the right intentions than a Darren Bent who was clearly quality but couldn't have cared less about the club.

I was saying during the game that today felt a little bit like when we were a middling League 1 club at Withdean under Dean Wilkins. The players were very close to being very good, but just slightly short. A lot of those players from that team aren't playing at a decent standard anymore because they're just not up to the standard. This Brighton team, however, is competing in the Premier League. Totally different, and the players who aren't cutting it (Bong, Hemed...) are still good players, they're just not up the standard of the highest tier of English football and there's absolutely no shame in that at all.

Very harsh to say Bong not cutting it.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
All I Know is we looked a far bigger threat today with him in the team than we have for a long time. Also who was up front for our last home win this season?

Hmm. I think that was more to do with Goldson, who was outstanding, and March and Knocky who had good games. We looked good - and should have won - against Burnley last week who are arguably a much more inform team than Watford.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
first time I've seen the reference to "marmite" without the OP feeling obliged to explain "you know, you either love him or hate him" - we know what it means

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Very harsh to say Bong not cutting it.

Take your time noticing it if you want. He's adequate defensively but does nothing in attack and if you can't see the difference in quality between Suttner and Bong, that's your problem.

I don't dislike Bong, but I really like Suttner's attacking intent and his quality delivery. He's better than Bong in every aspect of the game, but he's not been in the team and that's frustrating for me because I want to see our best players in the side. We need a left back upgrade in the summer window if we stay up, but Suttner should be ahead of Bong.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hmm. I think that was more to do with Goldson, who was outstanding, and March and Knocky who had good games. We looked good - and should have won - against Burnley last week who are arguably a much more inform team than Watford.

As well as CG played I don’t think he had an impact with the threat up front

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Take your time noticing it if you want. He's adequate defensively but does nothing in attack and if you can't see the difference in quality between Suttner and Bong, that's your problem.

I don't dislike Bong, but I really like Suttner's attacking intent and his quality delivery. He's better than Bong in every aspect of the game, but he's not been in the team and that's frustrating for me because I want to see our best players in the side. We need a left back upgrade in the summer window if we stay up, but Suttner should be ahead of Bong.

Suttner put in some lovely crosses today

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

We would have win last week, cos Themed would have scored the penalty, and connected with Murrays air shot in the first half

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

We looked a bigger threat because of our centre back? Are you serious?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not because that was ten years ago and they're mostly too old now, and probably retired, then?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Does nothing in attack? Did you see his performance against West Ham away? It's one of those performances that stands out because of how good he was going forward that day.

Suttner was fantastic today, though.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

I thought Suttner was very good today possibly our MOM but I think it very harsh to say Bong has struggled because he’s not let us down once.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not because that was ten years ago and they're mostly too old now, and probably retired, then?

That too. But when they left us in the immediate aftermath, none of them played at a better level, except Murray, Hammond and Elphick. Others just disappeared, Sam Rents and Jake Robinson dropped into non-league but a few of them hung around leagues 1 and 2. My point is that the team improved and the players who weren't up to it dropped away. Bong will drop away when he leaves us.

Does nothing in attack? Did you see his performance against West Ham away? It's one of those performances that stands out because of how good he was going forward that day.

Suttner was fantastic today, though.

Anyone can put in a good performance every 10/15 games, that's not good enough. But you're ignoring the rest of my point, he's not a bad player but he's not up to this standard in my opinion and Suttner's performance today should put that in perspective a little bit.

I thought Suttner was very good today possibly our MOM but I think it very harsh to say Bong has struggled because he’s not let us down once.

Well, it depends on your definition of let us down but again, I like Bong. I just don't think he's at this standard.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
we are realising, or should be that you don't have to be perfect to be a PL player. In our wilderness years we became too accustomed to believing that you had to be a Ronaldo or Messi to hack it in the PL. I know Watford were a few players short but today and in recent games vs Burnley, Stoke, Saints, I'm not sure I've seen many players that have stood out. Hemed, Bong, Suttner and a few others aren't perfect but CH picks them and I'm sure he know what he's doing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here