Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] calling @beorhelm @clippe_gull @wardystwin et al IT

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I am fairly IT savvy but,

so I go my Dell inspiron 2 years ago with Windows 8 and quickly took the free upgrade to Windows 10. Now I dont have the install media or indeed receipts but back in June my laptop was running like a dog so I reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB ISO my brother had, appears to be iffy as I just got a message popup saying my Windows experience is about to expire, click here to register...

Your thoughts? I really dont want to reinstall...... Do you reckon if I contact Dell with my laptop serial number for a key? I dunno???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

so I go my Dell inspiron 2 years ago with Windows 8 and quickly took the free upgrade to Windows 10. Now I dont have the install media or indeed receipts but back in June my laptop was running like a dog so I reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB ISO my brother had, appears to be iffy as I just got a message popup saying my Windows experience is about to expire, click here to register...

Your thoughts? I really dont want to reinstall...... Do you reckon if I contact Dell with my laptop serial number for a key? I dunno???

Does your laptop have the Windows 8 license sticker on the bottom ? If so the manufacturer will often provide you the original install media but for a price. It won't get you round re-installing though. I run a number of *cough* copied OS's and never seen one time out - maybe quickly backup your data and then wait to see what happens ?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

This sounds like a scam, mate.. Dont click on the link. When did this pop up appear? While browsing?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
To check if Windows is activated, do the following..

Tap on the Windows-key or click on the Start button, and select Settings from the menu that opens up. If you don't see settings, type Settings and hit enter. Alternatively use Windows-i to open Settings directly.
Navigate to Update & Security.
Select Activation on the left.
There you find listed the activation status of the operating system as well as the edition.
"Windows is activated" indicates that all is ok.

Assuming this is the case, maybe download and install Malwarebytes ( the free one, not the pro) and give your computer a scan..

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
When you upgraded to windows 10 this should have registered your machine with Microsoft as having a windows 10 license. This should mean that you can re-install windows 10 as many times as you like with install media and it will validate with microsoft that you are entitled. The problem may be that you have a license for Windows 10 Home but the media you have used is for windows 10 pro.

If thats the case you may need to download the windows 10 home media.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
To check if Windows is activated, do the following..

Tap on the Windows-key or click on the Start button, and select Settings from the menu that opens up. If you don't see settings, type Settings and hit enter. Alternatively use Windows-i to open Settings directly.
Navigate to Update & Security.
Select Activation on the left.
There you find listed the activation status of the operating system as well as the edition.
"Windows is activated" indicates that all is ok.

Assuming this is the case, maybe download and install Malwarebytes ( the free one, not the pro) and give your computer a scan..
thanks this what I have
Capture.PNG

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Does your laptop have the Windows 8 license sticker on the bottom ? If so the manufacturer will often provide you the original install media but for a price. It won't get you round re-installing though. I run a number of *cough* copied OS's and never seen one time out - maybe quickly backup your data and then wait to see what happens ?

it doesnt have the license sticker on no - I think I will back up yeah, its been a while

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
You seem to have gone from a pre-installed version of Win 8 (presumably Windows Home) to a corporate version of Win 10 Pro.
Not the recommended u/g path, as far as MS is concerned.

I know you said that you didn't want to reinstall but to avoid further problems, I suggest you take a small hit now to save you long-term grief...

1. Back up your data onto removable storage.
2.Reinstall the original Win8 (contact Dell if you need original media - their online support is pretty good at identifying your PC and matching you as a genuine purchaser of the laptop)
2a. Alternatively, you may be able to persuade them to send you Win 10 (Home) installation discs
3. U/g to Win 10 via the MS site (if step 2a failed)
4 Avoid 'mates with a disc'

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You seem to have gone from a pre-installed version of Win 8 (presumably Windows Home) to a corporate version of Win 10 Pro.
Not the recommended u/g path, as far as MS is concerned.

I know you said that you didn't want to reinstall but to avoid further problems, I suggest you take a small hit now to save you long-term grief...

1. Back up your data onto removable storage.
2.Reinstall the original Win8 (contact Dell if you need original media - their online support is pretty good at identifying your PC and matching you as a genuine purchaser of the laptop)
2a. Alternatively, you may be able to persuade them to send you Win 10 (Home) installation discs
3. U/g to Win 10 via the MS site (if step 2a failed)
4 Avoid 'mates with a disc'

That makes sense ta

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
thanks this what I have
View attachment 92198

companies use Microsoft volume licensing and one product key is shared across the organization.

The computer checks in to a licensing server on the company network every so often. After a certain time not talking to the licensing server (usually 180 days) the OS will deactivate.

This prevents employees from installing Windows on their own machines and also if a computer is stolen, it will eventually deactivate.

If you type this at a CMD prompt, you can see the OS license info:

Slmgr /dlv
you can then see what the state of the licence is...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's also worth looking to see if there is a recover partition on the hard drive from when the laptop was first built. If so after you've backed up your data you'll be able to use that partition to recover back to factory settings. You'll be back on 8.1 or whatever it was you were on previously but it's a start. You can then look at your options for getting windows 10 installed.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
companies use Microsoft volume licensing and one product key is shared across the organization.

The computer checks in to a licensing server on the company network every so often. After a certain time not talking to the licensing server (usually 180 days) the OS will deactivate.

This prevents employees from installing Windows on their own machines and also if a computer is stolen, it will eventually deactivate.

If you type this at a CMD prompt, you can see the OS license info:

Slmgr /dlv
you can then see what the state of the licence is...
180 days sounds about right yeah

Capture.PNG

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

It's failing as it's not talking back to the KMS server, I am guessing your brother gave you a corporate copy he managed to get not realising how it was licensed. I'm surprised it took this long to start throwing up activation warnings.

I used to have this problem all the time with teachers laptops when I worked in a school. They would take them home and use them, but never sign into a VPN or bring them into the school and connect them to the network there which would talk back to the KMS server.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It's also worth looking to see if there is a recover partition on the hard drive from when the laptop was first built. If so after you've backed up your data you'll be able to use that partition to recover back to factory settings. You'll be back on 8.1 or whatever it was you were on previously but it's a start. You can then look at your options for getting windows 10 installed.

No recovery partition, that would be my favourite option

Are my Windows.old folders any use?

Capture.PNG

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It's failing as it's not talking back to the KMS server, I am guessing your brother gave you a corporate copy he managed to get not realising how it was licensed. I'm surprised it took this long to start throwing up activation warnings.

I used to have this problem all the time with teachers laptops when I worked in a school. They would take them home and use them, but never sign into a VPN or bring them into the school and connect them to the network there which would talk back to the KMS server.

Well he is coming round tonight to cook a curry, I'll eat that then smash him up punk:

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here