Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] European Weekend Break (with teenagers)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I know how helpful you all can be and just wondered if anyone had an idea for a weekend mini break, with teenage boys(12 & 14), in Europe in April. I want it to be different and boys not keen on the whole airport experience some am thinking Eurostar or train? They have an inset day on the Monday so can stretch very late Fri to Monday eve.

Whilst my Wife and I will both be going with them I do also want Mrs OW to enjoy it so wasn't thinking a football fest, she has enough of that!

Any thoughts / past experiences please

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Amsterdam. Educational for two teenagers, especially a little trip around the red light district.

It's an option, I'll just file it with my other suggestions for the moment, but thank you!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Eurostar somewhat limiting. Keep in mind the security at Eurostar is the same as an airport, albeit smaller. Then you have to get to St Pancras.

Personally I've always loved Berlin and it would appeal to teenages in my opinion. A lot of history, but also a cool modern city. Easy and cheap to get to, get around.

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
Try Lyon, had a great time there for the euros last summer and caught the TGV (double decker!) high speed up to Paris to fly home. It's about 5 hours from Ashford (or 6 from St Pancs) with a change in Paris but book early as it gets very expensive.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Eurostar somewhat limiting. Keep in mind the security at Eurostar is the same as an airport, albeit smaller. Then you have to get to St Pancras.

Personally I've always loved Berlin and it would appeal to teenages in my opinion. A lot of history, but also a cool modern city. Easy and cheap to get to, get around.

Thanks, just the flying that would put them off, think it needs to be rail or ferry and car (they don't like travelling so I'm thinking train is easier to move around etc? Thanks for your thoughts

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Try Lyon, had a great time there for the euros last summer and caught the TGV (double decker!) high speed up to Paris to fly home. It's about 5 hours from Ashford (or 6 from St Pancs) with a change in Paris but book early as it gets very expensive.

Lyon have a home fixture that Saturday but I guess tickets are difficult? Thanks for your thoughts though and would be Eurostar all the way. AirBNB?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I know how helpful you all can be and just wondered if anyone had an idea for a weekend mini break, with teenage boys(12 & 14), in Europe in April. I want it to be different and boys not keen on the whole airport experience some am thinking Eurostar or train? They have an inset day on the Monday so can stretch very late Fri to Monday eve.

Whilst my Wife and I will both be going with them I do also want Mrs OW to enjoy it so wasn't thinking a football fest, she has enough of that!

Any thoughts / past experiences please

You expect two teenagers to find anything remotely fun around their parents, good luck!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You expect two teenagers to find anything remotely fun around their parents, good luck!

It's a very good point, but I'm determined to find something. Adventure break in the UK?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Brussels is fab. - and Eurostar security isn't as bad as an airport - its far more painless. Loads of cheap hotel deals when the Commission are on their hols too. Easy and plentiful parking at Ebbsfleet.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Bruges or Gent maybe? Take car on Eurotunnel, driving to either is easy once France side.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
That's a really awkward age. Cant think of anything I would have liked to accompany my parents to a that age if a footy match is ruled out. Museums and stuff whilst being educational etc is more something you appreciate when you are younger or older I think. Cant be much help sorry! Something with some adrenalin

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a very good point, but I'm determined to find something. Adventure break in the UK?
If they could tolerate an hour on the plane (or you could stretch to an overnight sleeper train) then Inverness might be a good option. Hire a car up there and you'd be within easy striking of Loch Ness, Ben Nevis, the Cairngorms etc. The ski slopes will probably still be open then.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Try a Brittany Ferries mini-cruise to Santander from Portsmouth,if it suits your time-table.Plenty of entertainment on board,and great fun if it's not too stormy in the Bay of Biscay!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here