Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Melbourne Vehicle Attack

Australian Police describing it as a "deliberate" attack rather than a "terror" attack.

What's the difference?

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I guess the difference is that one may be racially/politically/religiously motivated and the other may be just random hatred for mankind.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Australian Police describing it as a "deliberate" attache rather than a "terror" attack.

What's the difference?

I guess most attaches would be deliberate. I think they are appointed by ambassadors.

Perhaps the Australians prefer them to be random draw selections.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Terror Attack = Deliberate with a religious, or political motive. Usually identified by shouting 'Allah Akbar'

Deliberate Attack = Deliberate with an unknown motive.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Australian Police describing it as a "deliberate" attack rather than a "terror" attack.

What's the difference?

A diplomatic incident?

As is often mentioned on threads like this, WE do not have the answers yet, the Police MAY know, we do not. It has been said that around half a dozen people tried to detain the driver once the vehicle had crashed.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Terrorist = attack designed to cause fear and terror (against unknown victims) ?
Deliberate = Could be against a known target, ie: they have had an argument / fight with someone so one jumps into a vehicle and tried to hit them with it ?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
My thoughts are with the injured, some of whom are deemed critical, including a young child.

I crossed that very crossing last Friday with my 2 year old grandson in his pushchair.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a peculiar thread. I am sure the OP has some sort of point but it escapes me.

Here is some text from the internet for you.

MELBOURNE - At least 14 people were injured, several critically, after a car drove into a crowd in Melbourne's central business district on Thursday (Dec 21) in what the police called a "deliberate act".

The white Suzuki SUV "collided with a number of pedestrians" on the corner of Flinders and Elizabeth streets - an area popular with tourists - just before 5pm local time (4pm Singapore time). Police have arrested the driver as well as a second man, Australian media reported.

Speaking at a press conference at the scene just after 7pm, Victoria Police commander Russell Barrett did not rule out terrorism as a possible motive.

Is that clear enough????

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Picture of the driver being arrested at the scene .

driver.jpg

What a peculiar thread. I am sure the OP has some sort of point but it escapes me.

Here is some text from the internet for you.

MELBOURNE - At least 14 people were injured, several critically, after a car drove into a crowd in Melbourne's central business district on Thursday (Dec 21) in what the police called a "deliberate act".

The white Suzuki SUV "collided with a number of pedestrians" on the corner of Flinders and Elizabeth streets - an area popular with tourists - just before 5pm local time (4pm Singapore time). Police have arrested the driver as well as a second man, Australian media reported.

Speaking at a press conference at the scene just after 7pm, Victoria Police commander Russell Barrett did not rule out terrorism as a possible motive.

Is that clear enough????

Not sure why it;s peculiar, I asked a question about the difference between Deliberate and Terror.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Can we not just repost one of the ( sadly) numerous other threads after an attack, save a lot of hot air, bigotry and hand wringing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here