Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Happy Birthday Jimmy Collins

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I believe he reaches 80 tomorrow. One of my heroes from the 1960s. Until Glenn Murray, this season, I had seen him score more goals for the Albion than any other player - and he was an inside forward (midfielder to you youngsters)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was at the Amex a couple of years ago (with other members of the 64/65 promotion team). He looked in poor health so I'm pleased to see that he's reached a landmark age.

Dave Turner, on the other hand, looked like he was fit enough to get on the pitch again. Now, he was a decent player - my first Brighton favourite

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
He was at the Amex a couple of years ago (with other members of the 64/65 promotion team). He looked in poor health so I'm pleased to see that he's reached a landmark age.

Dave Turner, on the other hand, looked like he was fit enough to get on the pitch again. Now, he was a decent player - my first Brighton favourite
Yes, I still remember that equaliser against Chelsea in 1967 at the Goldstone.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I remember watching Jimmy Collins from both playing for the Albion and then Hangleton at Wish Park in the Sussex SUNDAY league. A great inside forward and I seem to recall captain of the team. Fry up after training at the Cosy Cafe, bus to the ground - players of the people.
After Roy Jennings, Jack Smith became my favorite player - he was a really nice bloke. This was back in the day you could watch the players training at the Goldstone at the end of the school summer holidays and then go over to Hove Park and have a game of cricket with your heroes. Collins, Smith (J), Gould, Cassidy etc. A bygone era never to be repeated. When people today say that football has never been better, they don't know what they are talking about.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I remember watching Jimmy Collins from both playing for the Albion and then Hangleton at Wish Park in the Sussex SUNDAY league. A great inside forward and I seem to recall captain of the team. Fry up after training at the Cosy Cafe, bus to the ground - players of the people.
After Roy Jennings, Jack Smith became my favorite player - he was a really nice bloke. This was back in the day you could watch the players training at the Goldstone at the end of the school summer holidays and then go over to Hove Park and have a game of cricket with your heroes. Collins, Smith (J), Gould, Cassidy etc. A bygone era never to be repeated. When people today say that football has never been better, they don't know what they are talking about.

This /\
Happy birthday Jimmy
A great player for the Albion.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Jimmy Collins was all a typical Scottish inside forward was at the time - hard, monster in the tackle, generally two-footed, could pick a pass and scored from outside the box.
His 'pass completion' in today's-speak must have been pretty high. Would sometimes cover for Bertolini deeper at no 4 and Bill Cassidy would take his no. 8 shirt.
A typical 'driving' midfielder - and definitely one of the "you need 7 for the tunnel" squad!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jimmy Collins was all a typical Scottish inside forward was at the time - hard, monster in the tackle, generally two-footed, could pick a pass and scored from outside the box.
His 'pass completion' in today's-speak must have been pretty high. Would sometimes cover for Bertolini deeper at no 4 and Bill Cassidy would take his no. 8 shirt.
A typical 'driving' midfielder - and definitely one of the "you need 7 for the tunnel" squad!

Those were the days when every team had a couple of jocks playing for them. When I first started watching, we had Henderson, Baxter, Collins, Oliver, Napier and Cassidy (with Dawson soon to arrive); this season, we've had a couple of cameos from Murphy. How times change.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Dave Turner, great captain and hard bugger, rather like Nobby Horton.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Good to hear he’s still around. Played in the first BHA team I saw. Nice bloke and continued to play in the Sussex Sunday league until well into his forties.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
i can still recall part of a newspaper report of the final match of the 64/65 season - "Jimmy Collins knelt to head Brighton into a 2-0 lead".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here