Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] The Official Match Thread: who is and isn't working Christmas

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Self employed and work from home. Got a ton of work to get done before the 31st but it's not really a big deal when you're still able to be with the family and deal with the work when you want to.

I've almost forgotten what it's like to be tied to an office / commute / someone else deciding what I do with my life but these type of threads remind me. I'm a bit poorer but SO much happier.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Start a week of nights at 21:45 on the 25th. Finish at 08:15 on the 1st Jan (2 hours kip before Bournemouth).

I've worked 12 of the last 17 Christmases

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm going to probably to do something productive and work-related over Christmas, over a bottle of red. But then I quite like my work so won't mind that.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Own private hire business so yes xmas day first job burgess hill 11.15am last job pick up in horsham at 8pm
First job Boxing Day 04.00 am slinfold to Gatwick then off to Chelsea then wife got a heathrow then another local job in evening . New Year’s Eve busy as well .Early jan might pop down to cornwall to see grand kids but back in time for palace . Merry xmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Self-employed and got shedloads to do. I'm going to stop on 24th and pick up working again on 28th

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
The 25th is a working day in Japan but i'm off. Friends round for a Christmas party 24th then spend 25th with the wife and kids on hair-of-the-dog. New year break is 29th-4th here, out of town for snow.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I break up this Friday at midday and back in on Jan 2nd 8am - probably like most in the building industry.

Those of you who are working unsociable hours over the xmas & new year hols, what is your employment? just find it interesting as to what type of jobs force the unsociable working hours.....

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Leave my current job today, after 2.5 very happy years here. A final meeting to have with the Government of Dubai Executive Council at 12 o'clock, then it's beer time.

Start a new job on 2 Jan. After some 25 years working my way to the top in design agencies, this will be my first ever client-side role. And first time at a BIG corporate company, with hundreds of people, rather than just 30–70 as I'm used to. Not sure what to expect, or what it'll be like, but this is a key life moment for me. After a decent-enough career, with decent-enough money, I'm doing this conscious 'selling of my soul' for a couple of years so I can trouser some serious money, to set my children up for the starts of their lives. 2018 will be very different...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Leave my current job today, after 2.5 very happy years here. A final meeting to have with the Government of Dubai Executive Council at 12 o'clock, then it's beer time.

Start a new job on 2 Jan. After some 25 years working my way to the top in design agencies, this will be my first ever client-side role. And first time at a BIG corporate company, with hundreds of people, rather than just 30–70 as I'm used to. Not sure what to expect, or what it'll be like, but this is a key life moment for me. After a decent-enough career, with decent-enough money, I'm doing this conscious 'selling of my soul' for a couple of years so I can trouser some serious money, to set my children up for the starts of their lives. 2018 will be very different...

I wish you th very best of luck in making the move! I suspect the biggest change you’ll notice (unless you’re very lucky) is that nearly everyone in a design agency passionately believes in the power of design; nearly everyone client-side does not, with many thinking its a waste of money. There are exceptions, of course, Apple, fashion, furniture, architecture...

If you’re moving to an existing client, you’ll have been dealing mostly with the people who “get” design; they’ll represent perhaps 1% of the employee headcount.

I say this not to put you off - just to set expectations of the (likely) huge cultural shift you’ll experience. If you can get your head straight, you’ll have a blast! If not, you can always go back...

Have fun!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here