Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is Harder?

Seagull Mags

Aug 18, 2016
1 - Promotion to the Premier League from The Championship.

2 - Surviving Relegation from the Premier League to The Championship.

Having a debate at work, is the task of surviving this season more difficult than the feat of promotion which we achieved last year?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would appear buying a Premier League striker is the hardest job of all.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
For me it's 100% promotion. You really have to be on it for the entire season home and away. You will probably stay up in the Premier League just by winning nine and drawing ten games at home and still lose all 19 away. Plus outside of the top 6, there is not a lot between the other fourteen sides at all.

The Championship is incredibly hard now with so many traditionally large clubs all chucking money at it. If we were relegated this season I would not be confident at all of bouncing straight back up.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
For me it's 100% promotion. You really have to be on it for the entire season home and away. You will probably stay up in the Premier League just by winning nine and drawing ten games at home and still lose all 19 away. Plus outside of the top 6, there is not a lot between the other fourteen sides at all.

The Championship is incredibly hard now with so many traditionally large clubs all chucking money at it. If we were relegated this season I would not be confident at all of bouncing straight back up.

Yes. Option 3...Getting promoted back to the Premier League after relegation from it...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How is that more difficult than getting promoted the first time?

Trying to get back up with good players having left after relegation, is harder than players wanting to join you, because you've been close to promotion the previous seasons.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You have to be better than 21 other teams to get promoted, and only better than 3 to stay up....

So getting promoted is a lot harder for me.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Championship is a much more dogged, competitive league, and the games come round thick and fast so you really cannot afford to get on a bad run

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that surprising ... it should be
I'm not particularly surprised at the Albion's struggles, but more so with all the other clubs seemingly in the same boat.

When you think that 3, possibly even 2, timely goals we'd be wondering what all the fuss is about, clearly getting promoted is the real fight.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Plenty of fumny money of late in the Championship. Even relegated sides struggle, a parachute money helps but still hard

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How is that more difficult than getting promoted the first time?

As well as Thunderbolt's answer above I'd add 'impatient fanbase'. If we got relegated we'd be the same as all the others: we'd have a sense of entitlement that as a former PL team with big parachute payments we should be certs for promotion. There'd be no sense that we were on some sort of upward journey to new places, no inclination to cut the manager or players any slack, nothing must stop us from getting back to where we belong as soon as possible. And boy would we make that known. I know the Amex can be a bit quiet at times, which doesn't help the players, but a quiet Amex would be WAY better than a negative Amex.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It would appear buying a Premier League striker is the hardest job of all.

Not this transfer window hopefully. We've been fed meagre striker rations for too long. Something decent to chew on would now be welcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here