Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Spoty 2017

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Starts on BBC1 at 1845.

Bradley Lowery already announced as the winner of the Helen Rollason award, and Roger Federer as the winner of Overseas SPOTY.

As for the big one, I reckon Anthony Joshua is nailed on for it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The elephant (not) in the room...but at least he can have a snooze through it

download.jpg

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
This is one year I just can't get myself excited enough to watch.

Shame really. It used to be one of the things I used to really enjoy and never miss. :(

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You can trace some of the problems and disillusionment back to when Zara Phillips won it, which most sports fans though was a total joke.

And then this was exacerbated with the introduction of a PC, agenda-driven panel in 2012 after the public's pre-vote the year before threw up an all-male shortlist and all hell broke loose at the BBC.

Loved Barry Hearn's rant this year speaking to BBC Snooker presenter Hazel Irvine. “I think you’ve got to sack the panel.

“This panel, and they are independent, must be from another planet. The fact a genius like Ronnie O’Sullivan has never been nominated means sack the panel because they are not listening to what the public says.

“We are seeing basic TV audiences decline in virtually every sport at the moment other than snooker. Snooker is right so the world champion has not been nominated.

“I’m not criticising those who have been nominated – they are all there on merit but you have to listen.

“We don’t produce enough geniuses in our sporting world to ignore a talent like Ronnie O’Sullivan. It is stupid beyond belief.”

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I used to love watching it as a kid when it was 'Sports Review of The Year' with Des Lynam being MC to it all and they actually showed some sport on it, rather than some pop-promo, soundbite clips made up by Media Studies graduates. It's a load of old bollox now.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Do they still drag people out to make complete arses of themselves in front of everyone like Frank Bruno playing skittles, that sort of thing.

That was the good old days - Frank Bruno v Nigel Mansell at table football, that sort of thing. When TV was classy.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Multi world superbikes champion Johnathon Rea who comes flying off at 200mph but gets back on to win the next race while riding with a broken ankle will get a mention but will not be in the final 5 let alone win it.
It's all wrong.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I used to love watching it as a kid when it was 'Sports Review of The Year' with Des Lynam being MC to it all and they actually showed some sport on it, rather than some pop-promo, soundbite clips made up by Media Studies graduates. It's a load of old bollox now.

Indeed, I'm so old I can remember when " A Question of Sport " was a genuine sporting quiz, now its a sad, inane, parlour game

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Jermain Defoe for me too.

Edit: Not watched this for years and just realised that there is a short list and Defoe isn't on it. Shame.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Four on the shortlist I have never heard of. HTF does that work? Tokenism.

I am happy to bet £1000 that none of these 4 ****ers wins. And another £1000 that none of them make the top 3.

Here is my top 4

Joshua
Kane
Farrah
Hamilton

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wankers are already running late.

Who cares about the insipid and utterly devalued Sports Personality of the Year guff? I want to watch The Apprentice final. :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here