Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Too Predictable

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Two points lost today and I'm sure Burnley wouldn't have come back from going a goal down just before half time so poor penalty from Murray.

However, why are we so predictable? We always concede possession almost straight from kick off as the ball goes back to Dunk who lumps it forward. Surely it is not beyond the imagination of the players or the manager to come up with something slightly different. It's been the same since day one.

Also, why do Bong and Bruno have to take every throw in. Appreciate that Bruno has a long throw but there are several occasions where a quick throw can maintain some momentum and keep the defence on the back foot however waiting for Bruno to come forward to take means the defence can easily get themselves organized.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
kick off and long throws are the leat worries. pass it to the wing and then a ball in... except if its Knockaert, he'll cut inside (one time he went to the byline put that cracking ball across the goal). generally we're too slow, so teams can regroup and when a ball does go in the box, its 3-4 defenders against a lone forward. they need to start making something happen through the middle, or get runners into the box. yes, makes you vulnerable, but thats the way to score goals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Two points lost today and I'm sure Burnley wouldn't have come back from going a goal down just before half time so poor penalty from Murray.

However, why are we so predictable? We always concede possession almost straight from kick off as the ball goes back to Dunk who lumps it forward. Surely it is not beyond the imagination of the players or the manager to come up with something slightly different. It's been the same since day one.

Also, why do Bong and Bruno have to take every throw in. Appreciate that Bruno has a long throw but there are several occasions where a quick throw can maintain some momentum and keep the defence on the back foot however waiting for Bruno to come forward to take means the defence can easily get themselves organized.

I knew you were going to post that.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We defend well but do not capitalise on a turn over of play. We also like to pass the ball until we loose possession rather than shooting and taking advantage of our positions

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Second half we run out of creative ideas but before then we had more than enough chances to kill the game but as we know did not take them subs used to late to affect the game and personally not seen anything from Izzy Brown that would make me think I would play him over Baldock, Murphy, Skalak, KLL there must be something in his loan agreement that keeps him playing.

We have the making of a very good team but we do need other options a second number 10 in the Gross mold another striker who's big and quick

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

I think our fate was sealed when the transfer window shut. We did not have a good enough squad to give us a chance of survival in this league. Yes we did get off to a good start, however, we are in a marathon not a sprint and teams that struggled at the start of the season are starting to find their form and one by one are starting to pass us as we slide down the table. Having said that we are still hanging on, we need at least 4 players in January which I don't think we will get. You have to think that Stoke and Swansea will pull the trigger on their managers before the window opens and that they will try and strengthen along with the bounce they will get with a change of manager. Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea, West Brom and us will be fighting for survival.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Encouraging performance, should be a good confidence boast for next week. Much rather take a point having created a whole host of decent chances than not. Saw enough yesterday for renewed festive cheer.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Encouraging performance, should be a good confidence boast for next week. Much rather take a point having created a whole host of decent chances than not. Saw enough yesterday for renewed festive cheer.

Agree with many of the observations posted thus far, but surely it is not all doom and gloom. Yes, we are slow and at times predictable, but Burnley have done well this season, and quite frankly for long periods we made them look distinctly average, and with more luck, could have been two or three up by half time. Drew made the point about lumping the ball up straight after the kick-off, and those around us commented on that -we had given the ball away twice whilst only one minute played was on the board. Next week is vital - will Watford suffer with low confidence after yesterday, or be desperate to make amends. You do the Maths!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think our fate was sealed when the transfer window shut. We did not have a good enough squad to give us a chance of survival in this league. Yes we did get off to a good start, however, we are in a marathon not a sprint and teams that struggled at the start of the season are starting to find their form and one by one are starting to pass us as we slide down the table. Having said that we are still hanging on, we need at least 4 players in January which I don't think we will get. You have to think that Stoke and Swansea will pull the trigger on their managers before the window opens and that they will try and strengthen along with the bounce they will get with a change of manager. Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea, West Brom and us will be fighting for survival.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I suppose - and hate to say it - that Palace, and indeed West Ham, have shown that a change of manager can work initial wonders, and the danger, from our point of view, is that the others may also opt for the same attempt to avoid the slide to the Championship. A new manager with new ideas, and new favourites according to his playing strategy, can undoubtedly change things around, as the novelty factor kicks in. But I do recall seeing on here some time ago research that showed that after the initial flurry, results slowly turn to the norm, as the players simply don't have the quality to keep it up indefinitely, which is the reason for the original sacking. Let's hope!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's frustrating that EVERY move has to start from the back.

We were 4/5th of the way down the pitch on 64-ish min, with a throw in. March was close to the ball, but looking disinterested, pointing to the defence.

Sure enough, it was thrown in and passed all the way back to defence. Tedious!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hit the woodwork; point blank effort that should not have been saved; penalty missed.

We just have to start putting our chances away when they fall to us.

theboybilly

There's a lot of negativity on this thread so for balance can I remind folk that we could easily have taken all three points at Old Trafford after a great display that brought plaudits from pundits and opposition fans alike. We haven't suddenly become a bad team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here