Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Microsoft Office

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Am I being had.

Have had an email from Microsoft saying my Office package expires in January and has to be renewed.

I thought when you purchased a package with a new laptop etc. it was yours, without further payment.

Checking further I have never set up a microsoft account so how could I have paid previous years.

Have you had this?

Dr. No

Nov 28, 2016
Am I being had.

Have had an email from Microsoft saying my Office package expires in January and has to be renewed.

I thought when you purchased a package with a new laptop etc. it was yours, without further payment.

Checking further I have never set up a microsoft account so how could I have paid previous years.

Have you had this?
No.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Am I being had.

Have you had this?

If you are not sure, check the subscription yourself...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/860c70fd-1129-421e-b7e2-90992893d74f/how-to-check-microsoft-office-365-renewal-status?forum=officeitproprevious

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Aren't they two different things?

I have Microsoft Office but have never signed in, ie Microsoft Account. You don't need to, just maintain a working version.

I believe signing in makes it more personalised.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Aren't they two different things?

I have Microsoft Office but have never signed in, ie Microsoft Account. You don't need to, just maintain a working version.

I believe signing in makes it more personalised.

You mean just ignore and carry on as usual?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

So Dr, might you be able to clarify why my Office works but I'm not signed in?

Cheers

off.JPG

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
You mean just ignore and carry on as usual?

I guess you've never paid as it was free for a period when you bought the PC. It now has to be paid for, and as you say you have never needed an account SO FAR.

If it is now expiring, you will have to pay to renew, or use alternatives as suggested.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
An old version of Office will do for most people. The trouble is getting it on to a new computer. I've forgotten how to do it w/o buying a new copy. So I don't get a new computer.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
An old version of Office will do for most people. The trouble is getting it on to a new computer. I've forgotten how to do it w/o buying a new copy. So I don't get a new computer.

I use Libre. Perfect and free source software. You can save in compatible formats.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Am I being had.

Have you had this?

What's the exact email address from Microsoft?
Just be sure it isn't a scam of any sort.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Its normal and fair. I think Microsoft have it right on this one. C5 pounds per month for top software on 5 devices is the norm. And it wins hands down over open source I am afraid to say OS products dont support enough important features depending on your needs of course, it doesnt mine but others it does

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It looks like you're using Office 2013. That doesn't require a subscription. Office 365 is the latest version, which does require one.

Strange just noticed I am 2013 edition but am now being charged a subscription. Why do big companies seem to deliberately cause confusion to make more money.

Today I told EON to f off as they said they couldn't quote best tarriffs, after my years contract expired, over phone but only online, yet talking to them yesterday they said I needed to phone for best deal.
Went on line to uswitch and now signed up with a better deal from N Power. Bah.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here