Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tme wasting after 20 minutes

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I know other teams do it against us but I'm sorry, I don't want ever to see Albion time waste after just 20 odd minutes like we did last night. It was embarrassing. If we were 1 nil up and just about to win promotion or stay up with just a few minutes on the clock then it’d be understandable but in the circumstances of last last night it was out of order and smacked of anti-football. We're Brighton - we're better than that. Please can we stop this.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know other teams do it against us but I'm sorry, I don't want ever to see Albion time waste after just 20 odd minutes like we did last night. It was embarrassing. If we were 1 nil up and just about to win promotion or stay up with just a few minutes on the clock then it’d be understandable but in the circumstances of last last night it was out of order and smacked of anti-football. We're Brighton - we're better than that. Please can we stop this.

When were we time wasting? Sorry if I missed it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Actually it started in the 7th min. I know because all the Spurs fans were incredulous around me commenting about Ryan doing this and I looked at the clock. Was a bit embarrassing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's another one where the bias we have as football supporters means we find it very difficult to see the other view.

If that had been a home game at the Amex and we were 0-0 against supposedly inferior opposition who didn't seem to be going about their business in a hurry, we'd have been booing and appealing for the ref to take action too.

As we were the away team, supposedly inferior and had kept it goalless we are slightly blind to the gamesmanship that we were partaking in.

Much of the home crowd's frustration came from their own side being unable to unlock our defence.

During the game, I did suggest we'd have a player booked before half-time for timewasting and I think we came pretty close.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The daft thing is that their booing started just after we’d won a free kick and one of their players wandered off with the ball and just dropped it where he was when the ref asked for it back. Whats good enough for them.....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No time wasting otherwise the referee would have clamped down on it and started dishing out yellow cards, and more stoppage time would have been added at the end of each half.

I thought we were playing intelligently and were expertly game mangering

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Palace time wasted for 90 mins at the Amex the other week

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Talk about being influenced by the crowd.

Spurs fans were on our (and their) players' backs from very early on - albeit for very different reasons. I suspect they were expecting to dish out a hiding and were getting very frustrated when it wasn't happening.

But for Aurier's jammy goal, I was expecting the Spurs fans to boo their team off at half-time. As it was there was merely a tepid ripple of applause.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm sorry if it has been mentioned before but on Saturday at Huddersfield a home attack broke down with the ball rolling towards the byline. Dunk had it covered; no one else was near. He let it roll out and then trotted away from it, leaving Ryan to amble over and, very deliberately, take the the goal kick. This was in the first couple of minutes. I guess it told the Huddersfield players how we were intending to proceed.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ryan came very close to being cautioned. It was blatant and frankly, embarrassing. It highlights the limit of our ambition now.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What time wasting?

The ref added 1 minute in the 1st half.

Some of you heard the Spuds booing and immediately assumed we WERE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here