Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton Attack

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Chris Hughton has done an amazing job in getting us to the promised land, I completely accept I will get flamed and shot down by many, but I think his job is now done here, he has a past history of being very defensive, last night the tactical line up of 11 defenders clearly did not work and never will.

In any League game where the winner gets 3 points, you just as well lose 5...0 as lose 1....0..... I have lived in a Rugby world for many years and for the life of me I have never ever understood the Welsh thinking behind "yes we lost 36 - 12 but what a great performance!!!"............ REALLY?? .......you LOST!! .... Don't get me wrong, if a team does go down fighting I am happy to say "yeah at least you tried" but you clearly did not try hard enough!

I am happy to be corrected, but in all my years of following football, I have never seen or known a constantly successful defensive team!

There is only one way to defend and thats ATTACK! sadly attack is not in CH vocabulary.

Please do discuss......I am more than happy to be corrected :thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You're wrong, completely wrong. Attack is the best form of defence attitude would get us absolutely battered in the majority of games at this level, and we'd all be screaming how hopelessly naive that is, and we need a manager who can set us up to be harder to beat.

To want Hughton out, saying "his job here is done" honestly mate, have a word with yourself.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
We certainly had our moments last night and had Hemed scored a fairly easy chance, the result could have been different, we didn't seem to set up to be defensive. Only time i would say he has massively got it wrong was on Saturday at Huddersfield.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Chris Hughton has done an amazing job in getting us to the promised land, I completely accept I will get flamed and shot down by many, but I think his job is now done here, he has a past history of being very defensive, last night the tactical line up of 11 defenders clearly did not work and never will.

In any League game where the winner gets 3 points, you just as well lose 5...0 as lose 1....0..... I have lived in a Rugby world for many years and for the life of me I have never ever understood the Welsh thinking behind "yes we lost 36 - 12 but what a great performance!!!"............ REALLY?? .......you LOST!! .... Don't get me wrong, if a team does go down fighting I am happy to say "yeah at least you tried" but you clearly did not try hard enough!

I am happy to be corrected, but in all my years of following football, I have never seen or known a constantly successful defensive team!

There is only one way to defend and thats ATTACK! sadly attack is not in CH vocabulary.

Newcastle and Norwich can't be both be wrong can they ?

Definitely has to be given a season, and you know what I can't think of a better manager to get us promoted again if the worst case scenario did actually happen...

Together faith...

Look at WBA no win in something like 16 games, clubs are in a far worse situation than us, as newbies I think we have acquitted ourselves very well considering we are lacking a powerful forward, which hopefully will be addressed in the transfer window.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I think there he's not really found his best 11 yet, I know that's probably a tad leftfield, but with a couple of first team players coming back, Baldock and Kayal, he's got to find a fine balance between spending the right money and getting the best out of the players he has.
The first thing is getting confidence back.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Look at WBA no win in something like 16 games, clubs are in a far worse situation than us, as newbies I think we have acquitted ourselves very well considering we are lacking a powerful forward, which hopefully will be addressed in the transfer window.[/QUOTE]

The same WBA who sat back at Anfield but according to Sky created a hell of a lot more than we did and could have easily scored on a few occasions. Fine dividing line.....

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Newcastle and Norwich can't be both be wrong can they ?

Definitely has to be given a season, and you know what I can't think of a better manager to get us promoted again if the worst case scenario did actually happen...

Together faith...

Look at WBA no win in something like 16 games, clubs are in a far worse situation than us, as newbies I think we have acquitted ourselves very well considering we are lacking a powerful forward, which hopefully will be addressed in the transfer window.

Yes, yes they can, and I believe they have both said it themselves, that they got it wrong. Certainly Mike Ashley has said sacking Hughton was the worst decision he made, and with Ashley, that is up against some pretty fierce competition in terms of his worst decisions.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But I have said for a long time that hughton's philosophy is to set up not to lose and to hopefully hit on the break, especially away. I think where a lot of us are struggling is this attitude at home. Playing 1 up front and 5 across midfield should mean that we get down the flanks quickly and we should have speedy midfielders looking for the knockdown from Murray. It doesn't appear we have that.

I know we mustn't compare as it means nothing, but david silva is the perfect example of a midfielder who never looks backwards..our midfielders tend to be stoppers and not creative ( gross accepted)

There is a lot of bile thrown at Wagner, but he has set up Huddersfield to go for teams who he realises are there for the taking, but he also has told his players not to be afraid of teams...yes they have been dicked a few times, but at home they have won some very good games by having a go.

I know people are saying we have 17 points, but our last 5 games have been 4 losses and 1 draw. Burnley and Watford are critical games and we really need a maximum of 4 points to at least try and get some momentum for the Chelsea and Bournemouth game.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I like the tactic of passing to players on the same side.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

The same WBA who sat back at Anfield but according to Sky created a hell of a lot more than we did and could have easily scored on a few occasions. Fine dividing line.....[/QUOTE]

Which one of their "experts" came out with that comment? I'll wait.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think there he's not really found his best 11 yet, I know that's probably a tad leftfield, but with a couple of first team players coming back, Baldock and Kayal, he's got to find a fine balance between spending the right money and getting the best out of the players he has.
The first thing is getting confidence back.

He hasn't got a best 11 to choose from.
Attacking the manager for not being able to get a large quantity of goals from H&M is laughable.

If the OP is so desperate to find someone to blame he needs to start with Uncle Tony and then work down through Barber-out before getting to Winstanley and Hughton.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
There is a HUGE difference between losing 1 or 2 nil and getting hammered 5 or 6 nil, it's called GOAL DIFFERENCE.

You remember, the thing that cost us promotion over 46 games in 2015/16? It was less than two years ago FFS your memory can't be that bad.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But I have said for a long time that hughton's philosophy is to set up not to lose and to hopefully hit on the break, especially away. I think where a lot of us are struggling is this attitude at home. Playing 1 up front and 5 across midfield should mean that we get down the flanks quickly and we should have speedy midfielders looking for the knockdown from Murray. It doesn't appear we have that.

I know we mustn't compare as it means nothing, but david silva is the perfect example of a midfielder who never looks backwards..our midfielders tend to be stoppers and not creative ( gross accepted)

There is a lot of bile thrown at Wagner, but he has set up Huddersfield to go for teams who he realises are there for the taking, but he also has told his players not to be afraid of teams...yes they have been dicked a few times, but at home they have won some very good games by having a go.

So you're saying we don't have players as good as David Silva?
And if we had a team as talented as Arsenal we could attack sides more, and still have to endure "getting dicked a few times."

Ok. Thanks.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Against top 6 sides there can only ever be 1 plan. Try and be in the game at 70 mins and then see what we can nick. With the exception of Izquierdo, these teams have all spent more on one player than we have on our entire squad. You have to be realistic about what's achievable.

The other 14 teams, we can try and compete with. The only one out of the 17 games we have played that I think Hughton has f***ed up this season was Huddersfield away. And then we don't know the full story of who was available.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I agree with the OP to a point and I agree with Gritt too. Theres a balance between the two, defending & attacking, IMO. I actually thought CH had selected a much better looking team tbh and if he continues in that vein I will be very happy. Its the most attacking line up I think he can select, from the players he has.

Id much rather see Bruno though in place of schelletto.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
WTF is wrong with people today? First sign of a rough patch and the Hughton out signs get wheeled out.

What were we to attack Spurs with? We have been understaffed up top all season for obvious reasons, if we had been gung ho last night we would have been thrashed. Hughton has to work with what he has got and he took a pragmatic approach, which for an outrageous slice of luck may have netted us a valuable point. After the car crash that was the Huddersfield game, shoring up the defence was key yesterday, and we more or less did that. It was not a bad away perfomance and if Tomer had taken his chance we would be having a different conversation.

We are in dire need of reinforcements in january, not just up front but in centre midfield if poosible too. We have done ok so far, but after a leisurely opening to the season we are now in the middle of a ridiculously busy December and the cracks are beginning to show a bit.

Our chance will come, patience and a litte faith in the team both on and off the ptich would not go amiss right now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The fact is that we were still in the game until late on, and we were only trailing to another jammy flukey spawny goal.

We're not going to create too many chances against Spurs but the golden chance did come, to Hemed, who fired it right at Loris when a couple of feet either side would have seen us get level. After Murray's trio of misses against Liverpool at key moments in the game, I find myself asking "what if?" once again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here