Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings v Spurs (a)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ryan. 6. Could he have done better with the first goal? Probably not. To be fair it would have taken a worldie performance to come away with a clean sheet.

Jack Sparrow. 4.5. Better in his 'best' position, but still looks a like a startled deer when the ball comes near him. Couple of galumphing runs in the second half were an improvement.
Duffy. 6.5. Seeing as we spent 90% of the match defending, the centre pairing deserve some credit.
Dunk. 6.5. As above.
Bong. 6.5. Did ok at times, looks a better choice than Suttner at the moment.

Knockaert. 6. Had a couple of scorching runs, but is having to start so far back in our own half it's hard to convert them. Needs to ENJOY his football again; his unhappiness and frustration is plainly visible, and hindering his game. Smile, Anthony, if you can.
Stephens. 4.5. Struggled to find his team mates, looking knackered.
Kayal. 4. Game largely passed him by, but it was a hard ask to return in a game like this and do much more. The more we can rotate the midfield the better for our season.
Izqueirdo. 4. Didn't make much of an impact, seems to be struggling to find his feet and/or mojo in the PL.

Propper. 4.5. Huffed and puffed but didn't have many chances, or create many.
Hemed. 5. Starved of the ball. Might have scored late on, but his shot was just good rather than great, and that's the difference at this level.

March. 6.5. As on Saturday, looked to shake things up by running at defenders and lifted things a bit. Needs to cross better.
Murray. 4. Don't remember him actually doing anything in his brief stint on the pitch. This kind of game isn't where he makes a difference. Wish we could try Baldock as a striking option.
Gross. 4. Like Murray, no time to influence things.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ryan. 6. Could he have done better with the first goal? Probably not. To be fair it would have taken a worldie performance to come away with a clean sheet.

Jack Sparrow. 4.5. Better in his 'best' position, but still looks a like a startled deer when the ball comes near him. Couple of galumphing runs in the second half were an improvement.
Duffy. 6.5. Seeing as we spent 90% of the match defending, the centre pairing deserve some credit.
Dunk. 6.5. As above.
Bong. 6.5. Did ok at times, looks a better choice than Suttner at the moment.

Knockaert. 6. Had a couple of scorching runs, but is having to start so far back in our own half it's hard to convert them. Needs to ENJOY his football again; his unhappiness and frustration is plainly visible, and hindering his game. Smile, Anthony, if you can.
Stephens. 4.5. Struggled to find his team mates, looking knackered.
Kayal. 4. Game largely passed him by, but it was a hard ask to return in a game like this and do much more. The more we can rotate the midfield the better for our season.
Izqueirdo. 4. Didn't make much of an impact, seems to be struggling to find his feet and/or mojo in the PL.

Propper. 4.5. Huffed and puffed but didn't have many chances, or create many.
Hemed. 5. Starved of the ball. Might have scored late on, but his shot was just good rather than great, and that's the difference at this level.

March. 6.5. As on Saturday, looked to shake things up by running at defenders and lifted things a bit. Needs to cross better.
Murray. 4. Don't remember him actually doing anything in his brief stint on the pitch. This kind of game isn't where he makes a difference. Wish we could try Baldock as a striking option.
Gross. 4. Like Murray, no time to influence things.

How can you give two people a 4 and then explain your reasoning behind it as “no time to influence things?”. Surely either an average rating or a no rating?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How can you give two people a 4 and then explain your reasoning behind it as “no time to influence things?”. Surely either an average rating or a no rating?

And four players given a lower rating than Schelotto. :lol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
And four players given a lower rating than Schelotto. :lol:

Yeah, by a MASSIVE half point. Ooh, OUTRAGEOUS. And for a game The Argus summed up with "Schelotto one of the pluses for me."

Post your own opinions then, rather than just nitpicking at someone else's.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ryan 6 - easy night
Schelotto 6
Bong 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 9
Knockaert 6
Stephens 4
Propper 4
Kayal 6
Izquierdo 6
Hemed 6

March 6
Murray n/a
Gross n/a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Ryan 7 MOTM

Schelotto 6
Dunk 6.5
Duffy 6.5
Bong 6.5

Knockaert 6.5
Stephens 6
Kayal 6.5
Propper 6
Izquierdo 6

Hemed 6

March 6.5
Gross and Murray N/A

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Ryan 6 - Looked descent and better kicking. Couple of good saves and not much chance with either goal.

Schelotto 4.5 - Mixed bag. Made me very nervous every time he had the ball. Some good runs forward in second half but some shocking touches. Ball broke to him once in second half, nobody within ten yards, and a trampoline literally could have controlled it better.

Duffy 6 - Standard Duffy, won most things in the air but a couple of start passes in dangerous positions.

Dunk 6 - Ok but not his best game. Again a few stray passes but good in the air and kept Kane quiet.

Bong 5.5 - Didn't do much wrong but didn't get forward often and got beaten a couple of times.

Knockaert 6.5 - I thought he looked lively at times and our only attacking threat until March came on. Made the Spurs fans around me nervous and some decent runs. Not much end product.

Propper 6 - Looked tired but fought hard. We lost the midfield battle by a mile.

Kayal 4.5 - Know he's been out for ages but pretty much anonymous.

Stephens 4 - He was pony last night. So many simple passes misplaced.

Izquierdo 5 - nearly got free a couple of times in the first half but closely marked and couldn't beat his man.

Hemed 5 - No service and can't have touched the ball more than a handful of times. Good chance but hit it straight at keeper from 10 yards.

Subs

March 7 - Beat their right back 3 or 4 times with ease but came to nothing. Should have been on sooner.

Murray 5 - Ran about but little of note.

Gross 5 - Not sure if he touched the ball but harried their midfield

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ryan 7 - another v good performance. Distribution improving - fewer poor kicks

Schelotto 6 - thought he was better, particularly 2nd half, than some on here think but very shaky start
Dunk 6.5 - several blocks, kept Kane relatively quiet
Duffy 6.5 - better from him than of late
Bong 6.5 - alright

Knockaert 6.5 - couple of excellent runs but from too deep. Something not at all right with him though.
Stephens 5 - way too careless with posession
Kayal 6.5 - started well but faded (unsurprisingly)
Propper 5 - like Stephens
Izquierdo 6 - we need to give him the ball more

Hemed 6 - better striker would have scored. Worked hard but completely isolated

March 6.5 - at least he tried to take on his man a couple of times, looked lively
Gross and Murray N/A

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Ryan 6
Schelotto 5
Bong 6
Dunk 6
Duffy 7
Knockaert 7
Stephens 5
Propper 5
Kayal 7
Izquierdo 5
Hemed 4

March 6
Murray n/a
Gross n/a

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Putting myself in the mind frame of those who want us to throw caution to the wind

All players 3 - They all failed to attack enough

For calculating overall players scores, ignore above

My views

Ryan 7
Schelotto 5 (based on 4 first half, 6 second)
Bong 6
Dunk 6
Duffy 7
Knockaert 7
Stephens 6
Propper 6
Kayal 5
Izquierdo 5
Hemed 5

March 6
Murray n/a
Gross n/a

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I thought Bong was really strong last night, got caught a couple of times but given the circumstances it’s not surprising. Better than Suttner in my humble opinion.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I thought Bong was really strong last night, got caught a couple of times but given the circumstances it’s not surprising. Better than Suttner in my humble opinion.

Have to agree, he’s stepped up for me, quicker to pass and with intensity, and not afraid to give as good as he gets!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
ryan 5
bong 5
dunk 6
duffy 6
schellotto 4
kayal 4
stephens 3
propper 3
ak 5
jose 3
hemed 4

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ryan 7 No chance with either goal
Schelotto 5 Grew into the game and showed his electric pace a couple of times
Bong 6 Shows intent going forwards but has a fifty pence foot when passing
Dunk 7 Good as usual
Duffy 7 Looked better than the last few games
Knockaert 5 Lacking confidence to make the right choices
Stephens 4 Poor again, gave the ball away too often and slowed play down when it needed ramping up
Propper 5 Similar to Stephens in not moving the ball forwards quickly enough this is choking any attacking intent
Kayal 6 Attempted to get forwards which was nice to see, good for his first game back.
Izquierdo 4 Where's your speed? Yet to show it
Hemed 5 Isolated
March 7 Showed in his first run you can get behind "bigger" teams
Murray n/a
Gross n/a

We need to show some more purpose in going forwards, this isn't a gung-ho approach but moving the ball quicker especially midfield. Also last night the crossing from Spurs showed the difference in ability/technique. We tend to float crosses/corners. Spurs whipped them in with real pace aimed mainly at the far post. These constantly caused danger, ours were dealt with comfortably and when we did win one it had no pace for the attacker to fashion a chance.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Ryan 6 - couldn't do anything about either of the goals, both very unfortunate

Bong 6 - liked his willingness to get forward
Duffy 7 - better on corners from him today, made some good clearances
Dunk 7 - seemed composed and solid
Schelotto 5 - was an accident waiting to happen at times, did some things well but couldn't help but feel nervous whenever he was on the ball. gave it away once and was very lucky that Spurs weren't on sorts to dispatch the chance

Pröpper 6 - the better of the two in midfield but we were still overran in that area
Stephens 4 - passing and ball retention was very poor, perhaps highlighted the need to rest him

Izquierdo 5 - what did he offer? seemed a bit sluggish tonight and didn't get forward as much as AK
Kayal 6 - good to see him back, acquitted himself fairly well
Knockaert 6 - made some good forward dribbles but needs to cut out the over excessive flair and just get back to basics

Hemed 5 - not through a lack of trying, but was isolated for much of the night and wasn't clinical enough with the only real chance that he got

Subs:

March 7 - instantly offered a spark on the left hand side that had been sorely lacking all night. Start him against Burnley
Murray 5 - did ok
Groß n/a

Manager 6 - his plan would have worked were it not for conceding that flukey opening goal, would have liked to have seen the handbrake off at more points in the game as I sensed that Spurs were below par but not too many criticisms tonight

Last edited:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Ryan 5 - Thought his handling was poor, nothing stuck to his gloves
Schelotto 5
Bong 8
Dunk 7
Duffy7
Knockaert 6
Stephens 4
Propper 4
Kayal 5
Izquierdo 5
Hemed 4

March 6
Murray 5
Gross 5

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Ryan 5 - Thought his handling was poor, nothing stuck to his gloves
Schelotto 5
Bong 8
Dunk 7
Duffy7
Knockaert 6
Stephens 4
Propper 4
Kayal 5
Izquierdo 5
Hemed 4

March 6
Murray 5
Gross 5

Bring Bong down to 7 (my MOTM too) and this looks right to me!

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I think the overriding frustration with last night's performance was the lack of quality when we did have the ball. We were working so hard to get the ball and our shape was excellent. But when we got the ball we were too anxious to get it forward quickly. On a couple of occasions this was definitely the right choice as a break was on but this wasn't the case the majority of time. We were poor on the ball. But, our midfield and back four were given no time at all when they had the ball, and that is one of the big differences. We are going to have to have better quality on the ball. We might get a bit more time in the home games but largely we are just going to have to improve.

I thought AK was the brightest point from last night. Yes he got frustrated but he looked dangerous. I also was relatively pleased with Kayal considering his long lay off. He looked fit and hustled well. He had the same quality issues with the ball though that the whole team had.

Nothing happened last night that disheartened me massively though, I hope the players can take some confidence from the defensive shape. Also on a plus point we defended set pieces a bit better.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
There is no doubt from reading this and from watching him against Liverpool that Stephens has to be rested. Surely we cannot afford to have a player in the team who gives the ball to the opposition at almost every opportunity?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here