Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women will play in Womens Super League 1 next year (probably)

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
As the FA continues their restructuring (messing around) with the Womens Football league, it has been confirmed today that as long as Brighton meet the criteria they will be in the top Womens League next year no matter how they do this year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42337186

This means that from next year the team will be full-time and professional (one of the requirements for being a WSL 1 team). I'm obviously pleased for the Albion, and for the ambition shown by the club, but I can't say that I'm 100% happy with how the FA has gone about all of this. Would rather promotion was won on merit... Also, 'home' matches will be played in Crawley which may put off people going.

Still UTA!

Last edited:

grahamt

Dec 13, 2017
Presumably they'll play at Crawley because it's got the right facilities for Tier 1. However, it's a disappointing decision. It's a lot further away than Lancing, and harder to get to via public transport (and lots of people in Brighton don't have cars). Will parents want to drive their kids all the way to Crawley to see the matches?

It's great that the Albion have got Tier 1 status, and the best of luck to them. But I'm not going to renew my season ticket if I have to travel to Crawley.

Is there really nowhere closer that's suitable?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I was told some time ago that about 250 go to watch. How on earth can full time players be justified unless of course gates have increased.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
As I understand it the minimum requirements (which you are continually assessed on) include :

A minimum of 16 contact hours per week for players, rising to 20 hours per week by 2020-21
A minimum level of financial investment required by each club
Financial Fair Play regulations and a squad cap
An academy at each club, compulsory as part of the licence
Have a Dedicated Manager, a Treasurer, and a Paid Match promotion/Marketing Officer (minimum 20 hours a week for latter)
Ground capacity at least 800 (not sure why they've picked Crawley though)

Rules restricting the number of non-English qualified players in matchday squads will also be continued as the FA bids to enhance opportunities for home-grown talent.

Dec 29, 2011
You think the gate reciepts for the men's games cover their wages!?

Beat me to it. I imagine he'll come back and say no, but media interests (sponsorships, TV money etc) do, but really we know they don't as we lost £25m on our last accounts.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
All good stuff - with the exception of playing at Crawley.

This has all been done rather hastily by the FA (IMO), and seeing as, apart from Crawley, Sussex doesn't have a second stadium of 2,000 (with a view to raising it to 6,000) that's available, the club is screwed for a venue. So, hopefully this is only a stopgap consideration.

I'm wondering whether for a long-term consideration that Lancing (Sussex FA) or Lancing (training ground) can be enhanced / developed...?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
All good stuff - with the exception of playing at Crawley.

This has all been done rather hastily by the FA (IMO), and seeing as, apart from Crawley, Sussex doesn't have a second stadium of 2,000 (with a view to raising it to 6,000) that's available, the club is screwed for a venue. So, hopefully this is only a stopgap consideration.

I'm wondering whether for a long-term consideration that Lancing (Sussex FA) or Lancing (training ground) can be enhanced / developed...?

Would the Dripping Pan at Lewes been a viable option ?

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
I think its even better at Crawley, but then I live here!
The U23 games work well, but I guess the women's matches wont be free for season ticket holders?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Would the Dripping Pan at Lewes been a viable option ?

Or Hove Park? Hardly any interest in Women's football despite what the BBC and the Guardian claim. Would wager 99% of Brighton fans couldn't name one Albion woman's team player. Should be a seperate 'Womens NSC' forum so it doesn't clog up the mens NSC. Awaits flaming from the usual PC brigade suspects.....

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Should be a seperate 'Womens NSC' forum so it doesn't clog up the mens NSC. Awaits flaming from the usual PC brigade suspects.....

I'm curious, how does the occasional thread about the Womens football 'clog' up this forum? Do you click into every thread when you come on it? If not, why not just ignore the womens football threads if you have no interest? Maybe all non-football threads should be moved to a different forum too?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Or Hove Park? Hardly any interest in Women's football despite what the BBC and the Guardian claim. Would wager 99% of Brighton fans couldn't name one Albion woman's team player. Should be a seperate 'Womens NSC' forum so it doesn't clog up the mens NSC. Awaits flaming from the usual PC brigade suspects.....

Seriously, grow up.

There's nothing 'politically correct' about women's football.

I'm curious, how does the occasional thread about the Womens football 'clog' up this forum? Do you click into every thread when you come on it? If not, why not just ignore the womens football threads if you have no interest? Maybe all non-football threads should be moved to a different forum too?

No, no, no. It's vital that he tells everyone how little he knows or cares about women's football, to the point it makes him an expert in women's football.

Not only does he disagree with the notion of women's football, he wants everyone else to be as well. This is a MAN'S game. Those who disagree are merely part of some fabled 'PC Brigade'.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I have to agree with you. The women's team is an irrelevance to nearly all of us. If they were to play the Palace women's team, I bet you that even the most fervent BHA or Palace die hard with a mutual in-bred hatred would even know, let alone care, what the score was.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here