Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Christmas Tips...

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
My son does a paper rounds every morning of the week and very diligent he is too. He wants to go and collect some Xmas tips but can't quite decide on the optimum day and time on which to head out.

There are many factors at play here, from people being at work or out after work to people with small kids putting them to bed and so on and so forth.

So what's the best day of the week, and time, for him to wish his customers a happy Christmas/beg for cash?

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Door-knocking a bit brash no? Better off just dropping some 'subtle' cards in with the papers on his next round and seeing what comes back in the next couple of weeks?

As an aside did think back when I was doing this that a nice little earner at Christmas would be to get up before the paper rounds start, do a circuit and swipe all the envelopes taped to letter boxes.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Door-knocking a bit brash no? Better off just dropping some 'subtle' cards in with the papers on his next round and seeing what comes back in the next couple of weeks?

As an aside did think back when I was doing this that a nice little earner at Christmas would be to get up before the paper rounds start, do a circuit and swipe all the envelopes taped to letter boxes.

He's going to knock the door and give them a card... and then wait there with his hand out.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He's going to knock the door and give them a card... and then wait there with his hand out.

In this age of online banking...perhaps best if he gives bank details and maybe has one of those credit card machines to maximise wealth gathering...erm i mean tips :moo:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I made a small fortune in tips when I did a paper round, what must be 10 years or so ago. 80% of them were left out on the front porch/doorstep/stuck to the letterbox for me to collect; the rest were kindly handed out when the residents spotted me sauntering up the drive. I tended to return the favour with thank you cards of my own.

Just don't go all Oliver Twist: "Please Sir, can I have some more?"

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry misread, but more interesting i reckon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
My kids did paper rounds until quite recently and got huge Christmas tips. All they did was to include a cheap card with the papers one day, and over the weeks before Christmas the tips would emerge.

Personally I'd have no problem being generous to a kid who's done a good job all year in all weathers but I wouldn't want the paper boy/girl to knock on the door and ask me outright for a tip.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Door knocking definitely too brash, suspect it may put some off. Drop a cheap card in with their papers over the next few days and then count the dough as it comes rolling in over the next couple of weeks.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Yep, get him to write in a little card from your paper boy etc etc. My lad done this for past 2 years and always gets left something.

And for those that don't leave a tip, when delivering to them next year maybe don't be as quiet or be as careful when posting the paper just saying!!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
My son does a paper rounds every morning of the week and very diligent he is too. He wants to go and collect some Xmas tips but can't quite decide on the optimum day and time on which to head out.

There are many factors at play here, from people being at work or out after work to people with small kids putting them to bed and so on and so forth.

So what's the best day of the week, and time, for him to wish his customers a happy Christmas/beg for cash?

I did a paper round for quite a few years when I was a kid (which is going back about 35 years now) but wouldn't have dreamed of heading out specifically "to go and collect some Xmas tips". I was conscientious and diligent and if people wanted to offer me a gift at Christmas I would happily accept it, but it was never expected or sought.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Door knocking definitely too brash, suspect it may put some off. Drop a cheap card in with their papers over the next few days and then count the dough as it comes rolling in over the next couple of weeks.

This is what I did and I got £100-£200 in tips every year back in the mid 90s. Considering I got paid £20 a week for a 7 day paper round, that wasn't too bad! Would love a 10 week pay bonus this Xmas...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It was several years ago but in my day I put a Christmas card through the letterbox from your paperboy, and my name. As I recall it led to getting tips ranging from £1 to £20 and a total haul of about £80 from about 30 customers. And that was 30+ years ago.

Subtle is better than in your face. I don't have a paperboy now but when I did I'd drop them £5, would probably be £10 now. But if they asked for it, I would give them less, possibly nothing.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
My kids did paper rounds until quite recently and got huge Christmas tips. All they did was to include a cheap card with the papers one day, and over the weeks before Christmas the tips would emerge.

Personally I'd have no problem being generous to a kid who's done a good job all year in all weathers but I wouldn't want the paper boy/girl to knock on the door and ask me outright for a tip.

This is what he's worried about. I've told him not to ask for a tip, just to hand over a card. Most people will get the message I presume...

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Thanks for the responses to date but I was wondering about the best evening to go out and give his clients a Christmas card??

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks for the responses to date but I was wondering about the best evening to go out and give his clients a Christmas card??

Sorry to say that yesterday was the optimal day to have done it.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Knocking at door with a card and waiting is begging and not appreciated by many. Tipping is optional and when i did my rounds ten plus years ago a card dropped in a week before Christmas reaped good reward from a lot of customers

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here