Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ronnie O'Sullivan: the best snooker player ever?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was looking forward to a tense and nervy late night snooker final, but The Rocket had other ideas and wrapped it all up before 9pm.

Incredible player, but the best ever?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
No argument whatsoever. Ronnie is obviously the best ever.

There is a pretty compelling argument for him being the most talented British sportsman ever.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He could have already been more successful if he didn't have his "demons ". It's amazing he's able to function as a human being let alone play snooker. Can you imagine how good he would be if he had some of Steve Davis's tactical ability ?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He could have already been more successful if he didn't have his "demons ". It's amazing he's able to function as a human being let alone play snooker. Can you imagine how good he would be if he had some of Steve Davis's tactical ability ?

His tactical and safety play is very, very good. He can mix it with the best in that department.

Best snooker player ever? Yes

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The only argument against would be Hendry having won 7 world titles to Ronnie's 5
Stats like having scored more century breaks than anyone else, and winning regularly at age 42, when the likes of Hendry and Davis were not would suggest otherwise.

I tend to believe Tiger Woods was the greatest golfer of all time despite winning fewer majors than Jack Nicklaus 18-14. The level of competition is a key factor.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Joe Davis.

and he was also billiards world champion multiple times as well.

Yep - when there were three other professionals in the world - one of whom was his brother.

In my mind no one will ever be better than Alex Higgins. Have a look at his clearance against Jimmy White in the 1982 World semi final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have loved watching his career, and if he had a level head would've won many more titles. So good at controlling the white ball, sometime it's as though he chooses where it will stop for his next shot so that he cannot miss.

His fastest 147 is a clip I have watched over and over again and it is sublime

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ronnie is best. And its great to see him happy and functional. 'Demons' equals mental health issues, btw. :shrug:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Yep - when there were three other professionals in the world - one of whom was his brother.

In my mind no one will ever be better than Alex Higgins. Have a look at his clearance against Jimmy White in the 1982 World semi final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And take into account he'd probably polished off a couple of bottles of vodka and several lines of coke before the match.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great debate. Reardon was awesome then along came Steve Davis. He was awesome then along came Hendry, and then there was Ronnie. Personally, I think Ronnie 's carried a self- destruct button for many years that has made him vulnerable, whereas Hendry was a machine and hardly anyone got a look - in for a decade.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Almost certainly O'Sullivan is the best - until the next champion comes along. In snooker, as in all sports, skills develop over the years, and what was ground-breaking and breath-taking 50 years ago is commonplace now. Take a football example - 50 years the world was agog when Meinheer Cruyff performed his legendary Cruyff turn; nowadays there's kids in the u10s that can do it - not all of them, perhaps, but a fair number.
So just as Higgins knew about Joe Davis' techniques, and added to them, so has O'Sullivan learned all about what Higgins did, practiced it and added to it. And so it will continue. I predict that in 20 years time - or maybe 50years - 147 breaks will routinely occur in most WC matches at the crucible, quite possibly more than one in a lot of them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
People have very short memories. To my mind it has to be Jow Davis, his namesake Steve, or Stephen Hendry.

The number of titles won has to have a big bearing on who is the best player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here