Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did Chris Hughton not learn from the last time we went to Huddersfield?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's all a bit deja vu isn't it? Has Wagner just got Hughton's number?

02/02/17 - Huddersfield 3 -1 Albion

Huddersfield played a high tempo pressing game, and top of the table Albion couldn't cope with it.

Chris Hughton: "We were nowhere near the levels you need to play any game in this division, never mind one as good as Huddersfield, and on their own ground too."

09/12/17 - Huddersfield 2 - 0 Albion

Huddersfield played a high tempo pressing game and....yeah you get the picture.

Chris Hughton: "We did not play at the level we needed...That allows a good Huddersfield team playing at home to get in a rhythm and that makes the afternoon a very, very tough one."

Tom Ince: "No disrespect to Brighton but we played them last year and knew all about them."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He is.

Let’s be honest, he had a lot of the ball and missed quite a few chances, so best he shuts the feck up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe he has had the most shots without scoring of any Premier League player. Something like 40 so far this season. I doubt he’ll get an easier match to try and break his duck. He wasn’t even at Huddersfield last year was he?

Back on topic, Hughton let himself and us down with that team selection after what happened up there last season. The players, who were here last season, learnt nothing either. Thickness and lack of preparation and composure all around.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We have no Devine right to be in the Premier, I’m still pinching myself, 20yrs ago I was dyin inside watching us at Priestfield when we could hardly - no exaggeration - string 3 passes together. The future was an empty cupboard without hope. Scratch that. We didn’t even have a cupboard. So yesterday was merely disappointing. I can take that and looking forward to Spurs. UTA.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
We needed more players who were going to work hard all over the pitch and fight for the ball right from the very start of the game. Hemed and March would have fitted that game much better if they'd started. Gross would normally give us what we needed there, but he is obviously tiring at the moment. Schelotto and Brown (again) did not give us what we needed at all.

Easy to say with hindsight, but it also wasn't that hard to predict before the game either. Selection failure.

More than just that though, there were others all over the pitch who were not fighting for the ball enough and when we had the ball, we panicked under pressure. Very poor performance.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's all a bit deja vu isn't it? Has Wagner just got Hughton's number?

02/02/17 - Huddersfield 3 -1 Albion

Huddersfield played a high tempo pressing game, and top of the table Albion couldn't cope with it.

Chris Hughton: "We were nowhere near the levels you need to play any game in this division, never mind one as good as Huddersfield, and on their own ground too."

09/12/17 - Huddersfield 2 - 0 Albion

Huddersfield played a high tempo pressing game and....yeah you get the picture.

Chris Hughton: "We did not play at the level we needed...That allows a good Huddersfield team playing at home to get in a rhythm and that makes the afternoon a very, very tough one."

Tom Ince: "No disrespect to Brighton but we played them last year and knew all about them."

It did feel like Groundhog Day. Very disappointing.

In the morning I said to my son that we’d need to do something different this time to counter Huddersfield’s tempo.

I was thinking of something radical - like playing Knockeart, Jose and Solly from the start. Perhaps even dropping Gros and giving Anthony free range.

I was somewhat disappointed to see the team sheet.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It did feel like Groundhog Day. Very disappointing.

In the morning I said to my son that we’d need to do something different this time to counter Huddersfield’s tempo.

I was thinking of something radical - like playing Knockeart, Jose and Solly from the start. Perhaps even dropping Gros and giving Anthony free range.

I was somewhat disappointed to see the team sheet.

Schelotto playing as a winger :lolol::facepalm:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
To be fair to CH he did try something different. I have not seen that team or set up before. It patently didn't work and he changed it at half time. We were slightly better in second half.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
To be fair to CH he did try something different. I have not seen that team or set up before. It patently didn't work and he changed it at half time. We were slightly better in second half.

Yep, he did. He thought, I’ll do the same as I did last time, but with even more gusto.

By posing no threat up front, we just allowed them to press on.

CH will be kicking himself today. Lesson learned. Move on.

Agree, the second half we were much better. Do you think he should have made a double sub at half time?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
We mustn’t forget that other teams have not done too well there and you just can’t go all guns blazing at them. We were ahead of them in the league so a point each would have been a very good result keeping them below us. At other times this season we have been defensively strong and held off better teams than Huddersfield so was it wrong to go there and defend the point? Ok it didn’t work out as we gave away 2 sloppy goals which we may not have done earlier in the season.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I don’t think it was wrong to go there for a point which is clearly what CH was attempting to do

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here