Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Analysis of results to date

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My rough analysis. In short, we've not put away anyone of note and failed to finish off sides that were there for the taking. I'm more worried about our recent defensive lapses where we were previously so solid. The scoring goals bit can be resolved in January.

Anyone disagree with the below?

Wins
West Brom - opposition in disarray, in the middle of a streak of 156 winless in a row (that is still ongoing)
Newcastle - rode our luck somewhat against a side that looks set for a relegation scrap
West Ham - opposition in disarray, but finished off in style, although some good fortune in first two goals
Swansea - opposition in disarray

Draws
Watford - opposition down to 10 men for much of the game, but we fail to find a winner
Everton - opposition in disarray, we fail to hold on
Southampton - spirited comeback against a solid side who were underperforming at the time
Stoke - as above
Palace - dull draw against the then bottom club

Losses
Man City - caught the best side in the country at the right time, no shame in going down by 2.
Leicester - outplayed and looked a bit out of our depth
Bournemouth - disappointing to take nothing from the game when leading and opposition in poor form
Arsenal - looked second best throughout but unlucky not to score
Man Utd - deserved something from the game against a very good side. Performance of the season
Liverpool - far from our best, but 1-5 doesn't tell the true story as Murray left his shooting boots at home
Huddersfield - bogey side where Wagner seems to have Hughton's number

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
This tells me we need to play teams in disarray every week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Disagree about the Liverpool game. They destroyed the Albion, bossed the game, other than for a frantic 15 minutes when Izzy Brown woke up. For all the "Murray should have scored one or two", Liverpool could and should have tucked away more goals.

Is your overall giste being unimpressed with our displays particuarly, other than at WHU and ManUre? Either throwing away points or riding luck to get them?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Disagree about the Liverpool game. They destroyed the Albion, bossed the game, other than for a frantic 15 minutes when Izzy Brown woke up. For all the "Murray should have scored one or two", Liverpool could and should have tucked away more goals.

Is your overall giste being unimpressed with our displays particuarly, other than at WHU and ManUre? Either throwing away points or riding luck to get them?

No, I think we're holding our own in a way I'd have been delighted with before the season started.

I guess I'm just trying to be a voice of reason, of sorts. I'm disappointed we lost today, but I'm not particularly surprised. I do hope that our missed opportunities at home don't come back to haunt us. We got a fair few sides "at the right time".

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Wins
West Brom - opposition in disarray, in the middle of a streak of 156 winless in a row (that is still ongoing)
West Brom were not in disarray at this point, they'd won their first two games of the season and while the fans weren't happy at how they ended the previous season, the club looked well positioned to kick on and finish in a solid top 10 spot. As we all know, though, what was to come was bad

Draws
Watford - opposition down to 10 men for much of the game, but we fail to find a winner. We can count ourselves unlucky in this one, Hemed hit the woodwork and several good chances didn't come off but we were still finding our feet at this stage. A good point in retrospect as Watford have been very good this season

Everton - opposition in disarray, we fail to hold on This was the first game I can say we bottled, should have held on for the points and looking back we really could have done with them while they were at a low point

Stoke - as above Add to that the disgraceful refereeing that could have cost us even more throughout the match, and neither defence looking convincing, it was a fair point and one earned

Palace - dull draw against the then bottom club This was when the fatigue started to set in, too many players from the Man Utd game still played and were not at their best

Losses
Leicester - outplayed and looked a bit out of our depth Only our second game of the season, away at King Power which is always difficult but players hadn't got going yet, not convinced that we'd get a point there now to be honest but we have improved since
Bournemouth - disappointing to take nothing from the game when leading and opposition in poor formFrustrating one and could have defended better, but Bournemouth have shown that they're a good team since around October so no shame in defeat here
Huddersfield - bogey side where Wagner seems to have Hughton's numberVery poor here, we were tactically outwitted and throughly deserved to lose which is worrying against a newly promoted side that we have experience of playing against [/QUOTE]

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
My rough analysis. In short, we've not put away anyone of note and failed to finish off sides that were there for the taking. I'm more worried about our recent defensive lapses where we were previously so solid. The scoring goals bit can be resolved in January.

Wins
Newcastle - rode our luck somewhat against a side that looks set for a relegation scrap
West Ham - opposition in disarray, but finished off in style, although some good fortune in first two goals

Draws
Watford - opposition down to 10 men for much of the game, but we fail to find a winner
Southampton - spirited comeback against a solid side who were underperforming at the time
Stoke - as above

Losses
Man City - caught the best side in the country at the right time, no shame in going down by 2.
Bournemouth - disappointing to take nothing from the game when leading and opposition in poor form
Man Utd - deserved something from the game against a very good side. Performance of the season
Liverpool - far from our best, but 1-5 doesn't tell the true story as Murray left his shooting boots at home

Yep that sums it up accurately and moving forward it's obvious we need at least one quality striker. one in midfield and right back cover in the Jan window to give us a good chance to stay up.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Wins

Draws
Stoke - as above

Losses

Agree with the above

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My rough analysis. In short, we've not put away anyone of note and failed to finish off sides that were there for the taking.

Sums it up perfectly for me. Our run-in is a nightmare so we have between Christmas and Easter to sort it out. This is the period that will define whether we stay or go.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Agree with your assessment on each and every game. We are a bit lucky to have as many points as we have in my view.

We are limping towards January which is not going to help our chances of signing a season saving striker.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and the summary? do we have enough up front or do enough to take the game to the opposition, in most the draws and the Bournmouth game?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
The thing for me this season is when we look good we have had pace and tempo.

The tempo Huddersfield player at today was more like we were a few games ago. The run of games packed fairly close together has meant less rest time for the players and I genuinely think they can’t cope. Gross, Murray, Propper and Stephens in particular look very tired and really needed to have been rested more. I’d have liked to have seen Gross and Murray rested v Man United and possibly again today. I really think haven’t not done so we should rest them for Spurs. A lot harder to rotate Stephens or Proppper though. Hopefully Kayal will be given a run out soon though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Wins

Draws
Stoke - as above

Losses

Mostly spot on. However I have zero confidence that we'll sign a decent striker in Jan and we'll be quite screwed if we get suspensions and injuries- which we will.

I have to say at the moment I think we'll be in a relegation battle all season and rue those dropped points at home. However I believe there are FOUR worse sides than us so it's in our own hands (Palace, Swansea, WBA and West Ham)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Bullshit Huddersfield are our bogey side, weren't when Jake Robinson got hat trick there. Wrong selection and tactics today

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No, I think we're holding our own in a way I'd have been delighted with before the season started.

I guess I'm just trying to be a voice of reason, of sorts. I'm disappointed we lost today, but I'm not particularly surprised. I do hope that our missed opportunities at home don't come back to haunt us. We got a fair few sides "at the right time".

I had the same analysis (except for small details) before the last two games. I think we have already fallen below target for 37 points and we will need 37+ points.

I had us down for nought for the last two and I was hoping we would catch up.

Palace, West Ham and Everton were the only three clubs in disarray and they have done something to rectify their poor points totals. Palace were already out of disarray when we played them.

Last edited:

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
All true.

In my view we have performed better than our results. While that is a bit frustrating, it also gives me more hope for the future.
As long as we go back to playing two of our three excellent wingers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have deserved every point that we have earnt and have not had any huges slices of luck that I can remember. Before a ball was kicked I expected us to have a season long relegation struggle. We have done better than I expected until yesterday. I am putting faith in CH being able to turn this around. However I doubt it will be on Wednesday when I expect another thrashing. I don’t expect much improvement to the squad in January either. The reality is that we’ll do well to avoid relegation. Expectations are too high with too many fans imo.

The honeymoon is over and we are going to need to get behind the team and manager. We’ll probably be better at this away from home as the Amex is mostly full of fans who aren’t used to seeing us struggle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We have deserved every point that we have earnt and have not had any huges slices of luck that I can remember. Before a ball was kicked I expected us to have a season long relegation struggle. We have done better than I expected until yesterday. I am putting faith in CH being able to turn this around. However I doubt it will be on Wednesday when I expect another thrashing. I don’t expect much improvement to the squad in January either. The reality is that we’ll do well to avoid relegation. Expectations are too high with too many fans imo.

The honeymoon is over and we are going to need to get behind the team and manager. We’ll probably be better at this away from home as the Amex is mostly full of fans who aren’t used to seeing us struggle.

Agree, did we expect to cruise through the season mid table? I still say that others are struggling just as much as us if not more so, I don't see teams below us about to go on a points frenzy. There were always going to be periods of a slump in form, Huddersfield let's not forget were on a run of 4 defeats - it's how you pick yourselves up. Too much panicking at present.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here