Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket sledging

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve just been reading about this. I know nothing about cricket but does this genuinly affect players? Reading some of the things which get said surely most recipients would just roll their eyes, think “what a knob” and get on with their job? Or is it more a kind of pantomime tradition these days? Does “your wife is good in bed” really make players buckle?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wouldn't happen in Germany.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Proper sledging is not petty insults, it is talking amongst yourselves loud enough for the batsman to hear, picking his technique apart. Petty insults mean nothing, anyone can deal with that. But getting into micro detail about his technique really messes with everything, his footwork, how early he sees the ball, his shot selection, his decisions to leave, his balance, his shot execution. That’s the way to get under the skin and inside the mind.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
For a "gentleman's game" is really isn't very nice. Why they can't just get on and play the sport without bringing psychological warfare into play I don't know.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Why can't the batsmen just wear ear plugs? Would improve concentration, and they can still gesture and signal to their team-mate at the other end of the crease.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Why are you so fat? Because every time i shag your missus she gives me a chocolate biscuit.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Bowler to Vivian Richards, as he played and missed “its red and its round”.
Next ball, as Richards smashes it out of the ground “you know what it looks like, you go and find it”.
True story.

Mark Waugh to Jimmy Ormond: “Fvck me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here?There’s no way you’re good enough to play for England.”

Jimmy Ormond to Mark Waugh: “Maybe not, but at least I’m the best player in my family.”

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Bowler to Vivian Richards, as he played and missed “its red and its round”.
Next ball, as Richards smashes it out of the ground “you know what it looks like, you go and find it”.
True story.

Yup, opposition Captain's banned their players from sledging Richards. Glamorgan's Greg Thomas was the bowler concerned.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Warne to Cullinan: "I've been waiting two years for another chance at you".

Cullinan's reply was: "Looks like you spent it eating..."

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here