Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The definition of ‘frivolous appeal’?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news...appeals-suspended-sentence-stabbing-boyfriend

Oxford student appeals against suspended sentence for stabbing boyfriend

A University of Oxford student who avoided prison after stabbing her boyfriend has appealed against the suspended sentence handed to her.

Lavinia Woodward, 24, received a 10-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, for stabbing her then partner with a breadknife in a drunken attack.

The presiding judge in the original case reportedly told Woodward that a custodial sentence could damage her career prospects and was therefore too severe.

The judge’s remarks led to accusations of leniency and tabloid headlines including “Too clever for prison”. They also provoked a debate about social and racial inequalities in the judicial system.

Woodward – who lives in Milan with her mother – has now applied to the court of appeal to review her sentence, which was delivered at Oxford crown court in September this year.

How can you appeal such a lenient sentence for a crime that you’ve pleaded guilty to? ???

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I would guess it's career/travel related.

Some countries won't issue you a visa if you have been given a prison sentence (served or suspended), the same may apply to employment prospects.

Having said that, I wonder how her expensive lawyer kept a straight face when advising her to appeal. More about the £££ in the lawyers pocket from his perspective.

She received a remarkably light sentence compared to what someone may get living on the wrong side of the tracks.

I think her appeal will be thrown out.

el punal

As it stands she's got a criminal record (a serious offence at that), so she's buggered up her career prospects in one fell swoop. One of the first things future employers ask is have you been a naughty boy/girl - and she has.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As it stands she's got a criminal record (a serious offence at that), so she's buggered up her career prospects in one fell swoop. One of the first things future employers ask is have you been a naughty boy/girl - and she has.

Must be this, conviction within UK would be spent in five and a half years unless looking to go into certain careers, but obviously wants a good job from the start of leaving university

She'll probably win the appeal then claim damages against her ex that she stabbed for putting her through this terrible ordeal, and win them too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does anyone know what the mitigating circumstances were, that lead to her avoiding prison in the first place?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does anyone know what the mitigating circumstances were, that lead to her avoiding prison in the first place?

nintchdbpict000324982628.jpg

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

But she was convicted of a crime that she pleaded GUILTY for. She must be arguing that the sentence is too harsh, but surely no judge in the country would have that?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
On the buildings it’s normally compulsory that you have some sort of violent past. It improves your job prospects and chance of advancement.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news...appeals-suspended-sentence-stabbing-boyfriend

Oxford student appeals against suspended sentence for stabbing boyfriend

How can you appeal such a lenient sentence for a crime that you’ve pleaded guilty to? ???

As a wishy-washy leftie liberal Oxford educated Christian, I think this is daft and I would personally like to see her sentence increased. I am not sure I would want to be treated by doctor, however brilliant, who had a history of drug-crazed knife attacks.

I am all for giving people a chance, but this one stinks of privilege.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ok but won't she also need a full arm and neck tattoo to go with it?

But she’s not going on the buildings Jim. She’s just going to cut through your rib cage and do things to your heart. She seems proficient with a knife. And seeing her in the outfit the answer is yes....... even with its associated risks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Must be this, conviction within UK would be spent in five and a half years unless looking to go into certain careers, but obviously wants a good job from the start of leaving university

Her line of work is different from mine. However if someone applied to work for me, and had a well publicised (as it is) 'former' drink and drugs problem, and a history of stabbing, it is likely she may not meet the standards of calm, fortitude and integrity necessary for the appointment, and demonstrated by the shortlisted candidates.

I'm not sure trying to rewrite history by having the nature of the criminal conviction re-labeled is likely to help her much, tbh. I think she may find her main source of income going forward is likely to be the pot of gold the mummy and daddy will have left her.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
She seems proficient with a knife. And seeing her in the outfit the answer is yes....... even with its associated risks.

Leading us to the obvious hijack (that could get the thread taken off NSC) I'll start with the obvious:-

amanda-knox-awaits-murder-verdict.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Leading us to the obvious hijack (that could get the thread taken off NSC) I'll start with the obvious:-

View attachment 91798

That was from the Perugia case wasn’t it - where my mum came from. Again it’s a yes from me.
Obviously I don’t mean with my mum although there are some odd stories from a couple of generations back in that area.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was from the Perugia case wasn’t it - where my mum came from. Again it’s a yes from me.

Yep, attractive women "even with its associated risks".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here