Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion v Palace: why Monday?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I spoke to the club this evening about the scheduling of this fixture, and they were happy for me to pass on points that came up in that discussion. As such, this is not a club statement, and is merely based on some quick notes I took...

As a Premier League club, the Albion need to be able to schedule any game at any time, and need to be able to manage the game safely and professionally; regardless of the opposition.

The timing hasn’t been dictated by TV scheduling or money – it’s worth c£140k to be on TV and whilst that's a nice amount, it's not particularly significant given the club's level of income currently.

Safety and security is always a priority, as it is for this game too.

Palace allocation: competition rules (15% away allocation) needs to be balanced with the safety and security issues/experience of the league game – and then agreement reached with Palace, The FA – and the local safety authorities. Whatever ticket allocation is given to Palace will be the maximum we get for any replay.

Another factor is transport, significantly transporting Palace fans home. There are rail engineering works on the weekend of 6/7 January meaning it wouldn’t be possible to arrange a special train post-match. One can be scheduled for the Monday. The special train moves a large group of Palace fans away in one go, and minimises risk of post-match trouble at the Amex and in town.

It is thought that scheduling a match like this on a working day and ahead of another working day does reduce drinking, both before and after the match.

Monday 8th will be the first day back to work for many after an extended Christmas break. With work following the day after, it is also believed that this will minimise the risk of people taking day off to drink before the game.

Playing the match on the weekend could mean the opposite for the 2 points above.

Live TV coverage on a cold Monday night will help to discourage fans without tickets from travelling to Brighton, and gives them no excuse if they do.

The vast majority of fans from both clubs came to watch the League game peacefully. Both clubs do not want to allow mindless individuals to dictate when the game should be played.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Where are the engineering works that weekend ? ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Where are the engineering works that weekend ? ???

This maybe?

No trains at Redhill on Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 January
Date:
6 January - 7 January 2018 11:59 PM

Routes affected:
Great Western Railway between Reading and Redhill / Gatwick Airport Southern between London Victoria and Reigate / Tonbridge / Three Bridges / Brighton / Southampton Central; London Bridge and Horsham Thameslink between Bedford and Brighton / Three Bridges

Engineering work is taking place between Reigate and Earlswood, closing the line between these stations.

Great Western Railway

Buses will operate every hour between Reigate and Gatwick Airport, taking approximately 25 minutes.

Buses will also operate between Reigate and Redhill, taking approximately 10 minutes.

Some early morning / late night buses will run earlier than normal to maintain connections and will operate via Redhill.

Southern

Trains between London Victoria and Brighton will be re-timed.

Trains which usually run between London and Horsham / Bognor Regis will be diverted and not call at stations via Redhill.

Buses will replace trains between Purley and Horley via Redhill.

Buses will replace trains between Redhill and Tonbridge / Reigate.

Thameslink

Trains will not be able to call at Coulsdon South, Merstham and Redhill. Customers for these station should use replacement road transport, which is provided by Southern. Road transport will run between Purley and Horley.

Trains which usually run between London Bridge and Brighton will not run.

Trains between Bedford and Brighton will call additionally at Balcombe.

The 23:37 (Saturday and 00:10 (Sunday) Brighton to Bedford service will not call at Redhill. A bus will operate from Gatwick to Redhill and from Redhill to east Croydon.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All valid points, the one of interest that is outstanding is the Palace allocation.

Given that the game is now a Monday, as well as the work factor, I think that many youngsters will be missing given now a school night. (or bunking off school to dress up in black and get a childrens return Croydon to Brighton)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This maybe?

No trains at Redhill on Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 January
Date:
6 January - 7 January 2018 11:59 PM

Routes affected:
Great Western Railway between Reading and Redhill / Gatwick Airport Southern between London Victoria and Reigate / Tonbridge / Three Bridges / Brighton / Southampton Central; London Bridge and Horsham Thameslink between Bedford and Brighton / Three Bridges

Engineering work is taking place between Reigate and Earlswood, closing the line between these stations.

Great Western Railway

Buses will operate every hour between Reigate and Gatwick Airport, taking approximately 25 minutes.

Buses will also operate between Reigate and Redhill, taking approximately 10 minutes.

Some early morning / late night buses will run earlier than normal to maintain connections and will operate via Redhill.

Southern

Trains between London Victoria and Brighton will be re-timed.

Trains which usually run between London and Horsham / Bognor Regis will be diverted and not call at stations via Redhill.

Buses will replace trains between Purley and Horley via Redhill.

Buses will replace trains between Redhill and Tonbridge / Reigate.

Thameslink

Trains will not be able to call at Coulsdon South, Merstham and Redhill. Customers for these station should use replacement road transport, which is provided by Southern. Road transport will run between Purley and Horley.

Trains which usually run between London Bridge and Brighton will not run.

Trains between Bedford and Brighton will call additionally at Balcombe.

The 23:37 (Saturday and 00:10 (Sunday) Brighton to Bedford service will not call at Redhill. A bus will operate from Gatwick to Redhill and from Redhill to east Croydon.
Fair enough. The slow line to Croydon and London. Couldn't expect a special to run on the other line I suppose.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
"It is thought that scheduling a match like this on a working day and ahead of another working day does reduce drinking, both before and after the match."

Like last week?

Anyway, bring it on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm only guessing. I searched after you asked the question.
Thanks. I thought I must have been mistaken that trains were running but it appears that only some are.

Anyway, they look like they are setting it up exactly the same as last Tuesday.

No surprise if the results are exactly the same.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well I'll still be getting pissed and lairy

820b6de4173dfb3209fbc4b81f5f3f23.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I now can’t be arsed. As with every Derby, the objective is to inconvenience as many normal fans as possible. Still they’ll be plenty of empty seats for Old Bill to watch from. Given we’ll have 2,000 Plod idilly watching trouble rather than watching for.

Another ballon popped for what should have been a cracking game. Be amazed if we get more than 20k now especially if neither manager takes it seriously and because of the ridiculous scare mongering and incompetence by authorities. We should probably just ask the FA never to let us play Palace again. I mean it’s FAR worse than the Old Firm, Manchester and London derbies. Fans frequently get killed at the M23 derby...someone once got put in 2nd class on the Special train. And they ran out of crisps in the buffet car...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think they want a fast train not one that stops at every small station to allow fans to leave and find local pub. In an ideal world they need a special non stop Falmer to East Croydon Did they not do that with a Millwall fixture to get them all away in 1 go as quick as possible.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
So the club has decided to inconvenience everybody by scheduling it on a Monday evening because the police are unable to cope. Surely the sensible solution would have been to reduce away attendance to 1000 and play it at noon on the Sunday.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Where the fvck am I gonna be able to buy a knuckle duster and a Samurai sword on a Sunday, ready for the Monday? :rant:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So the club has decided to inconvenience everybody by scheduling it on a Monday evening because the police are unable to cope. Surely the sensible solution would have been to reduce away attendance to 1000 and play it at noon on the Sunday.
Far too sensible.

Not forgetting that the St Patrick's Day match which worked so well was on a..... Sunday lunchtime.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here